Wearing Rig after demob.

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by Library_Soldier2, Oct 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ex-Chief after years on outside wears rig & gongs at family Funeral, no harm, no foul,
    but strictly speaking is it allowed? Thanks in advance for replies.

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not that I would wear uniform at any event being gone so long I have no prob with gongs, even wore a miniature to my sisters wedding.

3. well my former cub-scout troop certainly didnt seem to think so

• Like Like x 1
  4. I'd have to get about 10" let into the waistband to get into my old uniform.

Ah the good old days when I had a 32" waist and a 44" chest, you can swap them around now.:eye:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I wore Blues and gongs (with the appropriate 'R' on the epaulettes) at my father's funeral about a year after I'd retired.

The only drama for me was that the coffin pushed my metal rank badges and the letter 'R' into my right shoulder. I was just glad he wasn't a very heavy fellow.

6. Does the 'R' signify retired or reserve? So retired Ratings can wear rig?.

7. I was under the impression that once discharged you could no longer, and were no longer, entitled to wear the uniform. Hence the wearing of civvies with appropriate headdress, tie, medals et al. Distinguished you from serving members and retired/discharged.

8. If the retired Commander I was working with is any worth as a source, a DIN was published last year authorising the wearing of "appropriate" orders of dress by retired officers. I thought it might save on forking out for a new DJ. He took it as an opportunity to strut his funky stuff at Remembrance Day parades and the like (And if that doesn't trigger a tsunami of Walt Alerts I don't know what will).

9. Hence the: not entitled to wear a uniform upon discharge. Separates the Walts and the Retired/Discharged members.

Taking it further, it's the same as the Protocol to request to wear your uniform (if serving) to your wedding. As the wedding is not part of a gazetted/RO Duty.

10. Beware, you are entering into the murky waters of honorary commissions, blagging a rank up, the reserve of officers etc. I don't pretend to understand the finer points but its similar to retired professors and bishops holding the title of emeritus prof and bishop. No doubt will get stamped on the head but my understanding is as follows:

If you were a Capt in a cavalry regiment you can continue to call yourself Capt (provided you work with horses); hence Capt Mark Philipps
    If you were Major and above in any regiment or Corps you can continue to call yourself your military title. You can use your highest "temporary rank" thus allowing the blagging of an extra rank.
    You can wear your old uniform for weddings, funerals, regimental booze ups as an honourary officer but you have to put an "r" under your crown
    If you continue to call yourself Capt and you don't work with horses and were not in the Cav' you are an unmitigated cad sir!

Is this correct? I await vilification!

11. Yes, it is all very murky this Protocol of wearing uniforms upon discharge, in addition to 'rank'. Lets not start on Post Nominals.

You raise some good points BM. Would there be someone who can shed a bit of light on this very emotive topic.

12. Is he perhaps in the wavy navy, i.e. a reservist?

13. I've heard of the 'Major and above' stipulation re. continuing to use one's (former) rank, but one would run quite a risk of being compared, derisively, with this character;

[​IMG]

14. This subject seems to be generating a bit of steam. I'm now outside the Mob so would ask if any sering Arrser can be arsed to look up the DIN and post it here so that those who fancy trotting out their moth eaten rig can do so without fear of (much) ridicule/abuse and those who have a burning desire to have themselves addressed by their highest (Acting) rank can have a basis for so insisting.

15. Truth is the secret of comedy.

However, I think blokes who's early careers and professional training were messed up by the second world war found honourary ranks useful to help to preserve their self esteem and sanity when they resumed professional life after the war. I had an uncle who was an Bn Cdr during the war but had to start as an articled clerk on the same terms and conditions as 18 year old kids after demob'.I think that being referred to as "colonel" in the office. even though he was at the bottom of the heap, must have helped him to reastablish a professional career and adjust to civil life.