Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wearing of unit embelishments

CplBadboyUK

Swinger
Just one thing i want to make clear reference my previous post. Im all for representing the unit at which we are attached, ie wearing of ther beret. Its when your forced into wearing unit only tapes it begins to take the biscuit slightly. It basically shows that hierarchy dont want to upset the unit. Its no wonder we get the weekend duties etc, when they cant even go toe to toe about REME dress codes!!!!!

GwaiLo

War Hero
CplBadboyUK
This is unlikely to happen however as its always REME policy not to rock the boat with the unit and let the unit shaft us up the ARRSE and make do. If people werent so worried about their ****** career and actually stuck up for their lads this wouldnt be a post on this forum.

I am not serving anymore, so I don't know for certain what is going on. But I did serve for a very long time as mafia and I can only guess what is going on based on my knowledge of how RGJ culture works. I would be stunned if either the CO or the RSM (and they are the only two people in a position to be laying down battalion wide policy) would either want to "shaft" you or object to your boss sticking up for you. In fact I suspect they would be pretty annoyed if they found that they were not sticking up for you, since it is the mafia ethos to stick up for the blokes who work for you (OK, some you win and some you lose but nobody gets sent to siberia for speaking up....come on, if you have been attached for a while you must know this surely?)

I may be wrong of course (if I am I'd be stunned though). If I am right then you cannot blame the battalion, they'll have sounded out your boss (or would expect him to speak up) and absolutely would not do stuff with the intention of pissing you off. Banter aside you are there because the battalion needs you, and it needs you to be positive, feel part of the team, etc. Why would it intentionally shaft you? Its counter productive.

gallahad

Old-Salt
We had a funny moment one morning in the NAAFI. A REME full Corporal who had been in the unit for less than six months, was asked by the Guards duty NCO, a Lance Sergeant ,to remove his head dress while in the NAAFI. The REME Cpl complied but it was pointed out to him by other REME lads that he was the same rank as the Lance Sergeant. After replacing the beret on his head the Lance Sergeant came back and charged the REME Corporal for disobeying an order. When the charge got to Bn HQ, it was suggested to the Lance Sergeant to apologise to the REME Corporal ,who in fact was senior to him.
A REME full Corporal after serving six months in a Guards Bn, was given the rank/Designation of Lance Sergeant. Confusing at times.

ugly

LE
I agree with the belongingbit but surely if a parent unit wishes to foster such a family thread then it should provide the accroutements free of charge and in fact issue them! It wouldnt be that hard to insist on worn as issued. I was stiffed by the QM as post op banner he refused to replace my patched and tatty combats. I wore them on gaurd. As expected on gd mount I git a show parade. The adj was orderly officer for some reason and kicked the Q's arrsse over exchanges and low and behold it was exchanged. I did show parade in new combats!

Manic_mechanic

Old-Salt
I love this thread. It must be a suject we have all banged on about at some time.

Still most points are about wearing other unit embelishments and the rights and wrongs about doing so.

Most the counter arguments refer to having to pay for many of them.

Think on this...When was the last time you were issued a REME stable belt?

If anyone has been issued one let me know. For most of my army life I have refused to wear a stable belt unless it is issued to me. Finaly a CSM from a previous unit gave me his spare one. Along with a Corp tie as I refused to wear one of those as well unless someone else bought it. Upshot, after much bluster and threats I still never wore what our own Corp wanted until it was given freely to me.

Why be a git? that goes back to basic training where the nice tracksuit, elastics and platoon t shirt we all got given was taken out of your first wage packet. They never even bothered to get us to sign our consent. That seriously Pis**d me off.

I just left a unit wher you had to wear the units beret and hackle (mini feather duster) Provided free so I wore them. However we got issued 4 TRF's (I know lucky us as some units only got three). I pointed out to the QM that we get issued three shirts and two combat jackets so should we not get 5 TRF's. The reply was a negative. Next was an idea floated by the ASM to wear rankslides (Craftys included) with REME embroidered on them. To better distinguish the REME in the unit. Like the TRF's or stable belts dont? Oh and they would be paid for initialy out of the LAD club funds.

Personaly I could not care less what we are asked to wear embellishment wise. As long as we are not expected to bear the cost. Getting my medals re-re mounted etc is bad enough.

Oh someone asked if you can be reimburesed for incidental costs.

This is true as long as you keep all reciepts and correctly fill out the form. Your RAO should hold them. It includes things such as boot polish, starch, thread and needles, mess dress, suit for mess including shoes and socks etc. Basicly anything you have to buy to comply with unit dress codes etc. However if its available through the military system you cant claim it. Its one claim at the end of the tax year and its a bugger to do. Oh and you only get the tax paid back for most of it.

jockster

Old-Salt
Take a minute to follow this thread and ask youreselfs who is to blame.

Who is the main man for the Corps?
Who is his wing man and has his ear?
Who is supposed to listen to the lads and lasses on the ground?
Who is supposed to pass these feeling up to the main man?
Where do these people work?

There my friends, lies the reasons to the problems of our Corps.
No F**ker is listening, let alone reacting!

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Honestly who gives a toss?

In my 21 and a bit years of service, I've bought enough unit-specific accoutrements to outfit a small and colourfully embellished brigade. So what? Silly hats (TOS,anyone?), coloured and "Field" badges, fuzzy jumpers, brown shoes as a WO2, more Sqn/Coy /Bn/Regt T-shirts than the bargain bin in HM Supplies, I've bought the lot. And unless you're prepared to stand up for yourself(And very much BY yourself) like Nige did - and accept the consequences like Nige did, so will you. Don't bleat about the EME or the ASM, they have more important matters to worry about than starting a fight over fcuk-all with the Regt. And so should you. It's all part of the Army game, and if you don't like the rules go bleat to the Padre, or stand up for yourselves and prepare for the rain of shit that will be directed at you and your mates.

ugly

LE
We had a new RSM in my Inf Bn who had a dress purge, no non issued or as then adapted kit. No shaved berets or linings removed. No Died UN berets, No string in the neck of your JHW, No cut down puttees, no DMS extensions, You name it he went to war. Well the pln sgts got a bit peeved at all the staff parades etc and blokes having to go diffy kit so we had a worn as issued war. The first muster parade in as issued big not shaped at all berets and the CSM went beserk. The Pln sgts had us stand our gound and that was it. 2 weeks of Garrison duties in belts cloth silly instead of black shiny on No2 dress and the RSM cracked. We went back to hiding DMS extensions under cut down puttees andhe stayed in his office a lot longer!

BeerFun!

Old-Salt
Looks like your all missing a trick, if the REME arnt happy the kit dont work!!!, We used to VOR U/S all the equipment, vehicles/aircraft if the Regt started getting silly, (this requires the backing of the Staffys and Sgts ) the Wksp couldnt be ordered to magically make things work, so the Regt's backed down and let us get on with it Amazingly everything was fixed after that!!

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes, and I bet you used to tell the RSM to fcuk off on the Square too didn't you mate...

corps dress regs are quite clear staing that only one embelishment is to be worn, at the end of the day it has to be issued to you on your 1157 or they can "mug" off!!!!! :twisted:

tiffmeister said:
corps dress regs are quite clear staing that only one embelishment is to be worn, at the end of the day it has to be issued to you on your 1157 or they can "mug" off!!!!! :twisted:

As I stated earlier, I was told by CREME at HQ Scotland that we could b erequired to wear 2 embellishments from the Regiment , as I was with 32 ( Scottish ) Sig Regt (V) I wore brogues and a glengarry. THey wore R Sigs shoulder titles I wore REME. No problem as they were issued.

What a jolly auld wheeze you guys must be having to worry about whether you think you should wear what your Regiment/Battalion tell you to. It used to rankle my spit when the bloody union wallahs got out the Corps Instructions - they are just that Corps Instructions; any CO will giggle like a school girl if you quote them to him, before turning purple ripping you a new a'hole. While you are with a Regiment or Battalion you are at the shop window of the Corps, fall in with them and don't let the Corps down or Feck off! You know you used to get bags of respect by being a member of the Battalion not a REME seperatist Wankah!

I never had a problem wearing anything that identified me with the regiment I was attached to but when your own corps identity is taken away from you it's time to kick back. The post about a Cfn having to wear the units cap badge was definitely over the top and I'd have been jailed before I'd have given up that much. Although most of the objections are on cost the majority of REME personnell are proud to be REME but happy to b eattached. Postings like this seem to indicate that the writer doesn't appreciate how important ones regiment/corps is to most soldiers. It's not just the Infantry and cavalry who are proud of their regiments and traditions.

Nobby_REME

War Hero
At the end of the day some of the best times in my career were when I was attached to the Cav & Infantry. REME Wksps & latterly Bn's had that feeling of bullshit blocking the work ethic. As a member of the FRG, I at least spent a lot of my time attached to Battlegroups & away from the Wksp Main. Wasn't that good for the family as I had young kids, but that was part of life in those days. I have sympathy that individuals are forced into buying kit as part of the LAD, however in all the Cav Regts I served with. you were made to feel part of the Regt & that took some of the pain away. Also there was no restrictions in flogging the kit to your successor, as long as you were of a similar size.

Times have obviously changed, but I certainly can't & won't forget the good times I had as an attached Tradesman.

Nobby

Nige

LE
C_U_N_T - how appropriate :)
You should be aware that it is not just Corps Instructions that limit the number and type of embellishments that are to be worn by attached personnel. JSP 336 Vol 12 (used to be Mat Regs) is the authority, which takes direction from the Army Dress Commitee and is a JS pub, issued by command of the defence council. where does a unit CO sit in the hierachy of these publications - hint - not anywhere near the top mate.

So, before you start on the 'union boys and Corps Instructions' try doing a bit of research.

johnEXvma

Old-Salt
I had to buy a regimental shirt and tie at the QOH, a maroon pullover at 4/7 RDG. Had to buy regimental sweatshirt at 3RTR and wear all the black kit issued (coveralls, beret and green epulettes). I dont know what all the whingeing is about, it make you part of the regiment instead of a moaning outcast. Get a grip...!

JB

Nige

LE
John,
I too wore regimental embellishments and still do. My objection is to being made to pay for them. If a regiment wants me to be 'part of the family' then they should have the good manners to issue me with the kit.

My major gripe was that a REME Captain decided to change the rules for embellishments at RDG without consulting those it affected (The Sgts and SSgts) He expected us to buy jumpers when previously only the Officers and WOs wore the Regt Jumper.

The embellishments I currently wear are tax deductable as the ADF have their heads screwed on, just as well as I've had to buy 3 PT Shirts so far, as well as emu feathers for my slouch hat.

Fcuk's sake...

If the Queen wanted u to wear it she would give it to you (and you would wear it)

Big point though don't ever wear anyone's capbadge other than your own EVER