Wearing of unit embelishments

Discussion in 'REME' started by threaders-vm, Jan 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having just returned from a well earned weekend off, the LAD which I serve at has been informed to go to the cqms to sign for our 'new' rankslides in preparation for when the RGJ to which we are attached to morph into the new 'Rifles'. The slides are o/g with a black stripe with blue outline above a bugle and the large letters 'rifles'. To all of us in the workshop this has deeply annoyed us as you can imagine.
    Having read our corps dress regs I interpret them to allow us only one unit embelishment which in our case would be the green beret which we already wear/ OR the dodgy rankslide. They even have the neck to charge the crafties for rankslides with no stripes on them!.
    Surely this cannot be right, any thoughts?.

2. We have to pay for any extra rank slides (with the RHA embellishment) after the first one. It annoys me slightly that attached Arms have to pay for these bits and bobs and then do it all again on posting elsewhere. I suppose the LAD could use the LAD Fund to buy them en masse and then they get passed on as people get posted in/out.

Let's face it though, what the CO wants uniform-wise, he gets.

3. Fair one, I mean the guy is in charge an all.
    My point is though that as reme I'm sure we only have to wear one unit symbol not two or three ect, there is rumours of them trying to get us to wear their bloody stable belt also.

4. Then a word in your ASM's shell-like along with a copy of REME Dress regs should convince him to tell your OC to grow a spine and dig his heels in.

5. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Its a pain in the arrse, i've been there and had all the arguments - especially when the RQMS was a blinkered moron.

New Cpl posted in, Cpl Fugly was booking out on posting.

Cpl X is asked to sign for new rank slides, 2 of, £9 each.

Cpl Fugly: "Don't worry mate, here have mine"
    Cpl X: "Cheers mate"
    RQMS:"Hand those back. you can't do that."
    Cpl Fugly:"Why not? I don't need them any more"
    RQMS:"He's got to have new ones"

(Cpl X and Cpl Fugly observe the well-worn slides the RQMS is about to issue and exhange knowing glances)

Cpl X:"If thats the case sir, could I have some NEW ones please?"
    RQMS:"Don't get fucking smart with me son. You've got to have these issued"
    Cpl X:"Ok sir, then can you swap those for Cpl Fugly's ones? His are in a lot better nick"
    RQMS:"You can't do that. He's paid for THOSE slides. They're his property now."
    Cpl Fugly:"They're MY slides?
    RQMS:"Yes."
    Cpl Fugly "They belong to me? So i can do what I want with them?"
    RQMS "Yes."
    Cpl Fugly:"Here you go then mate" (hands them over again)
    RQMS:"You can't do that!"

etc etc etc etc, braindead cnut that he was.

In the end, Cpl X ended up £18 out of pocket when he didn't need to be, and the RQMS recieved 2 rank slides through the post with a big shit stain as the centre crease.

Its a ballache, but its usually a case of if the CO wants them - you're wearing them.

6. we too have to wear the regiments lovely tartan slides!!

if they are ruined we have to replace them!! we are not even allowed to have reme embroided on the bottom of them!!!

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Yet when Lt div attend an all arms course they get excused drill, All arms attached to Lt Div arent. Back in the days of green puttees or black for the rgj the reme were standing their ground over that and stable belts along with the RAPC lads. I felt they were in the right but as usaul what you cant get away with plead ignorance or they will make your stint shitty to say the least. the usual rule is "If I have to pay for it then I will do what the feck I want with it!" I did this with unit tour sweatshirts that the bn wanted us toi sign the accro for. I cut the sleeves of mine there and then. "But you'll be on pan bash when we have the photos done!" " Big deal I 'll be jailed by then anyway!"
    Not far off but as usual our photo was taken in denims and cbt jckt.
    The same as taking a jacket and tie on exercise to Denmark. you wont go to the carlsberg brewery unless. again that was in working dress!

8. It always used to be 1 item from the parent unit, mind you didn't stop us in 3RTR wearing:
    Black Beret
    Black Coveralls
    Black Belt
    Black/Green Shoulder Slides
    Black Putties
    Black Jumper

O happy hapy days.

Get your ASM to have a word if you are not happy. With the formation of the new super battalions, they are probably trying to get some sort of commonality across the whole lot.
    Do remember thoug, that unlike clerks and cooks, unless you are totasl non-mech you are NOT posted to the Unit, but to the LAD that is based in that barracks. You just happen to be callled 'The 1st Rifles LAD etc' for ease.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ten all should have been issued! You wouldnt wear local unit mess dress would you so therefore if they want you to waer it they issue it. if enough stand their ground then maybe your corps will grow some balls and look after its lads. the host unit will respect your CoC more if it looks after you rather than caves in and plays their game. you joined the reme not xyz regiment. Not on 1157/1033 not worn!

10. Might just not wear a rankslide and sew an old green and black rank badge on my arm where rank is supposed to be worn anyway, and maybe cut my rankslide off my jackets/cs95.
    sure that will grind their gears.
    Nice one.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I've been drinking again!

12. Man_at_MAN
    Check your works e-mail Piccies Ahoy!

13. When I was attached to 32 (Scottish) Signal Regt (V) I was told by CREME that I could be compelled to wear two embellishments of the Regiment's . Therefore I wore Brogue shoes and a Glengarry, when the CO had a thought about all PSIs wearing trews we all put in for a posting and the idea was never pursued. Incidentally I paid for nothing.

14. When I was attached to 32 (Scottish) Signal Regt (V) I was told by CREME that I could be compelled to wear two embellishments of the Regiment's . Therefore I wore Brogue shoes and a Glengarry, when the CO had a thought about all PSIs wearing trews we all put in for a posting and the idea was never pursued. Incidentally I paid for nothing.

15. No problem. REME Dress Regs are absolutely clear. Any EME who can read (and communicate) should have no problem in protecting his men from pointless expenditure on regimental foibles.