Wearing of Uniform in Public

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Just a warning - as if one was needed - to be very careful about this. There are plenty of people out there, living in the UK, who would like nothing better than to see a Soldier dead in a most brutal manner.

THEY DO NOT CARE IF IT IS A REGULAR OR TA SOLDIER - in this case, as when on Operations, we are all equal targets in their eyes. As TA, living in the community we are probably more at risk than the Regulars.

PLEASE don't try to be gung-ho and macho - if you need advice, ask your Chain of Command.

P.S. I would think this puts a crimp in any suggestion of a 'wear your uniform to work' day to celebrate TA 100 :)

G

Goku

OldSnowy said:
P.S. I would think this puts a crimp in any suggestion of a 'wear your uniform to work' day to celebrate TA 100 :)
Careful, I almost got lynched yesterday for suggesting that might be a bad idea :roll:

The_Duke

LE
Goku said:
OldSnowy said:
Careful, I almost got lynched yesterday for suggesting that might be a bad idea :roll:
I didn't lynch you - just suggested that you would look like a tramp!

Lifted from another thread

One_of_the_strange said:
I've never worn it in public nor do I intend to. It might be different were I a reg living in MQs but I'm not.

I'd also offer the observation that in the old days when all we had to fear was the IRA the TA were always reassured that we were far less of a target than the regs as we never deployed there. That has changed, so how to cope with it ?
So we are now more at risk than regulars?

Mohamed Barber told BBC News his cousin was one of the men arrested in Alum Rock.

"We can vouch for him he is innocent. He doesn't even have time to go to Friday prayers - that's how busy he is,"
Well thats fcuking alright then! tw@!

G

Goku

The_Duke said:
Goku said:
OldSnowy said:
I didn't lynch you - just suggested that you would look like a tramp!
So you agree that wearing uniform to work would create a poor image for the TA then? :D

Wear it and carry a big gun. :thumleft:

The_Duke

LE
I would rather fry my own spuds than wear my uniform to work.

I never travel in uniform, so would certainly not drop my CEFO off behind my desk, throw my smock on the back of the chair and stick my CBH's up on the table in the meeting room.

Uniform for an event, recruiting stand, parade etc fine. People turning up at work in uniform - wrong in so many ways.

Ooops I hate copy and paste!

As a one off for a Centenary I could probably live with it - but don't make it a regular thing granted and it will not work for some.

Wearing down town or too and from place of TA work is fine - so long as you tow the party line.

recruiting event again no problem

However be a c*ck and you reap what you sow. I have always found being polite and respectful brings the same in return. the odd gobby tw*t can be dealt with through cool and calm conversation - or drag him up and ally and boresight his attitude up his butt!

One thing one should never be is the big I am - on your own you are probably not!

Cheers

:) Those fingers had a mind of their own damn it!

As for kidnapp and be heading of a service person - how misguided can you get.

Firstly we do not decide where we are deployed the government do that!

Secondly when we have a common foe we band together across the services and there is no finer force - take the one and you take on the 200,000 across all services not to mention Police and security services.

Thirdly in the services death is an occupational hazard!

Why do they not just kidnap an MP a lot more publicity, get a Labour one and that will really smart - oh I forgot they are a lot less useful :)

Still they were caught yet another of many more to follow no doubt

Of course do hope this had nothing to do with the current cash for Piers scandal (deception or deflection)

Cheers

Pfft... people have been wearing combat trousers as fashion since the 90's ffs. Infact, I see more civvies wearing our uniform than I do soldiers! The only reason I wear my uniform to work (with civvy overcoat) is because otherwise it gets all creased up and I don't want the CSM jumping on me for looking like sh!t.

I travel up to my unit with a few people from my platoon, so if Mohammed Jihad decides to try and kidnap one of us, he's in for a shock when the rest of us jump on him... :threaten:

And here's one for ya: for those of us who rely on public transport, how the fcuk are we supposed to disguise a 125ltr bergen full of kit and possibly webbing? It's all very well reading orders on "disguise yourself" but when no solution is presented it kinda seems a little "well that's easy for you to say."

Everytime I've been bollocked for turning up in uniform, I've always asked for a solution and no one, in all the time I've been in, has given me an answer... (well, apart from that really stupid "don't bring me problems, bring me solutions" catchphrase, which contrary to popular belief, doesn't help).

For some of us, we just can't win

There is now Army wide policy on this, available through Armynet. Go to the reference portal and find Army Information Notes:

Serial No: I33/07 Source: ACGS
Date: 23 Jan 07 Released by: Def PR(A)

WEARING UNIFORM IN PUBLIC

ISSUE
Clarification on the rules for wearing uniform in public, thereby increasing the profile of the Army amongst the wider British public.

KEY POINTS
• With the exception of Northern Ireland1, personnel may wear uniform whilst off duty in public unless otherwise directed by the chain of command. This is no change to the current policy, which is based on the principle of personal choice.

• In circumstances where personnel wish to preserve their anonymity or the anonymity of their family and home address they will not be compelled to wear uniform in public unless on duty.

• Commanders and COs are empowered to modify regulations, but are required to inform their regional chain of command when they make such modifications.

• Whilst public visibility of officers and soldiers in uniform raises the profile of the Army, the wearing of uniform in public also brings with it a responsibility to maintain the highest standards of both dress and behaviour.

1 The wearing of uniform in NI, except when on duty or when attending specifically designated public military events remains prohibited. Furthermore, personnel moving to or from Northern Ireland via civil air and seaports must continue to do so in civilian clothes. This policy will be reviewed annually by HQNI from 2007.

FURTHER INFORMATION
Detailed instructions on the wearing of uniform in public will be captured within LAND Standing Orders, taking account of security considerations. HQ LAND will then be responsible for promulgating the instructions and any amendments to them2 via the Chain of Command. The instructions will also be available on ArmyNET and the Army Portal of the Defence Intranet.

Wearing a uniform in this part of the world is very very not advisable.

It has been that way certainly for the last 3 years.

The vast majority are indifferent, or complimentary.

There is a hardcore, as alleged today , who are not. We have had incidents.

-=TheGeneral=- said:
And here's one for ya: for those of us who rely on public transport, how the fcuk are we supposed to disguise a 125ltr bergen full of kit and possibly webbing? It's all very well reading orders on "disguise yourself" but when no solution is presented it kinda seems a little "well that's easy for you to say."
Well there is a solution!! you could always leave the afforemention 125ltr Bergan and Webbing at the TAC centre!

Oh yeah my mistake it will get pillaged and the lockers provided wont even fit the issue sleeping bag