Wearing of uniform by retired WOs and SNCOs

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by Ancient_Hush_Puppy, Jun 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In a Forces Pension Society magazine or newsletter a few months ago, the editor passed on information from MOD(A) that permission would always be granted for retired officers, WOs and SNCOs to wear uniform for certain occasions provided they write to the MOD beforehand and the uniform displays the letter R on each epaulette. My question to the retired members on this forum is on what occasions they would dust off their No 1 or No 2 Dress that is to say if are still in possession said items of course.

2. Used to wear my old wooly pully for gardening.

3. I regularly wear my green vest and long johns 'combo' for bedroom acrobatics.

• Like Like x 2
  4. No chance now. It's all over and done with, although I'm currently wearing my telic 10 dessie boots to work.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

I have seen SNCO's wearing mess dress with "R" above their rank

6. My funeral, just to make it difficult for the undertakers. I guarantee that it won't fit.

• Like Like x 5
  7. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Lightweight trousers were good as well.

8. I would have thought it's a risky thing to do outside of wearing your old mess kit in the mess - good chance of being tagged a WALT. Also, I have a feeling in my water that there's a law prohibiting the unauthorised wearing of HM's Uniforms and medals; happy to be corrected.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Brotherton Lad described doing so as a Pallbearer at a family funeral with R on his epaulettes, not long after leaviing whilst it still fitted! Permitted and not walting if imho for a good cause!

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'm keeping my 2's. Just for fancy dress value.

And the rest of it.

But if anyone asks, I've handed it all in.

Less for the capbadge. They can have that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I wear my gas mask and black gloves when doing the drains; rather enjoy it!

12. Used them to clear a wasps nest in the attic a few years back. Very handy.

13. ..................I still have my goretex kit......very handy.
    The good thing is I can get it exchanged for a new set every year or so!

14. As I've said before, if they want it back, they are more welcome to it. They have to find it first, and anyone who has been to Chez Slug will tell you. Good luck.

I know where the capbadge is.......

15. What is the correct form for the letter R to be worn on the epaulette?

Is there a sealed pattern?
    Always in the avant garde, my unit has already adopted a brass epaulette title:

"XLIX PARA (R)"​

( there is still a thorny argument about a black anodised finish, due to our antecedents in the Potters Rifles
    << Duchess of Gloucester Roads Own>> )

There is however some difficulty in finding a suitable security cleared supplier for the whole unit.

I was also thinking that this would nicely set off the epaulettes on my British Warm when in mufti.

Is this something the Arrse Charity committee might be able to address?