Wearing of the Elizabeth Cross in uniform - Approved

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Filbert Fox, Sep 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if its been done but I cant find it in any other threads:

Her Majesty The Queen has now approved a change to the regulations that permits the Elizabeth Cross to be worn on the right side of uniforms whenever other medals are worn if the recipient so chooses.

6. The DIN will be amended in due course. In the meantime, if a recipient serving in the Regular Army or Reserves wishes to wear the Elizabeth Cross, he or she may do so subject to the following guidelines:

a. The recipient has the discretion to decide whether or not to wear the Elizabeth Cross in uniform. There is no element of compunction as there is with medals.

b. The Elizabeth Cross is worn only on orders of dress in which other medals are worn.

c. The Elizabeth Cross is only worn when medals are ordered.

d. The full size Elizabeth Cross is worn when full-size medals are worn. When miniature medals are worn then the miniature Cross is worn.

e. The Elizabeth Cross is worn on the right chest centred above the breast pocket with the base of the Cross 3mm above the horizontal breast pocket seam. If the recipient wears other medals on the right side such as Royal Humane Society medals, the Elizabeth Cross and other medals are to be worn in the order of the dates on which they were awarded, the earliest being closest to the centre of the chest. In Mess Kit, the miniature Elizabeth Cross is to be worn in the corresponding position to medals on the left side.

2. To be honest, I never gave this a moments thought....

I just thought people in service would be allowed to wear such a medal.

3. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

To ask a silly question, i take it you need to be related in someway. Not a medal ettiquette expert, but i assume you shouldnt wear to remember your mates.

4. States that you have to be the recipient, such as serving husband, wife, father, mother, son, daughter etc of the deceased.

5. How many are ? Just 1 to next of kin? Just out of intrest thats all. Coudnt see a wife, mum and dad getting one each.

6. Just one to NOK.

7. Eligibility
    Eligible personnel to be remembered in this way are those who were serving with, or former members of, the Regular and Reserve Armed Forces or the Royal Fleet Auxiliary when deployed in direct support of a designated operation.
    The Next of Kin of eligible personnel whose deaths fall into the following categories are to be recognised:

• Those who died from whatever cause whilst serving on a medal earning operation. Medal earning operations are those in which deployed personnel received a Campaign Medal, General Service Medal or Operational Service Medal which demonstrated the risk and rigour involved. Operations where a UN, NATO or other international body or other nations’ campaign medal was accepted for wear, in the absence of a UK medal also qualify.
    • Those who died as a result of an act of terrorism where the available evidence suggests that the Service person, whether on or off duty, was targeted because of his or her membership of the UK Armed Forces.
    • Those who died on a non-medal earning operational task where death has been caused by the inherent high risk of the task.
    • Those who died a subsequent and premature death as a result of an injury or illness attributed to the circumstances outlined above.
    In addition to recognising future operational deaths in this way, deaths in the circumstances outlined above that occurred after 1 January 1948, or as a result of service in Palestine since 27 September 1945 will be recognised retrospectively. These dates reflect the fact that the Commonwealth War Graves Commission attributed deaths up to 1 January 1948 to World War II service (with the exception of Palestine).
    Recipients and How to Apply
    Next of Kin can apply for both the Elizabeth Cross and Memorial Scroll. For retrospective claims and when the Next of Kin is deceased, their legal successor may apply. Only one Elizabeth Cross is granted for each death recognised.
    An additional Memorial Scroll only is available to the following (or their legal successors) where they are not the Next of Kin:
    The parents of the deceased.
    The spouse/partner of the deceased or someone who had a substantive relationship with the deceased.
    Note however that as a Memorial Scroll was issued at the time to those who died in the Korean War, the Elizabeth Cross only (and not the new Memorial Scroll) will be issued in remembrance of those who died during that war.
    Application forms can be found via the links opposite and should be returned to:
    MOD Medal Office
    Innsworth House
    Imjin Barracks
    Gloucester
    GL3 1HW

8. :x As far as I can see there is unlikely to be many wearing it as the medal goes to the NOK, so if the deceased was married/divorced with kids, the eldest boy gets the medal as it follows the bloodline.:x

Parents of married/divorced children killed on Ops have to fight (like fu :censored: ing hell) to just get a scroll which eventually just comes through the post!

Looks like I won't be wearing it then unless they also issue an order saying I can wear a scroll on my chest in service dress :shakefist:!

9. All its says in ABN61/10 is:

5. However there are already instances where recipients of the Elizabeth Cross are currently serving in one of the three Services and some have asked to be able to wear the Cross in uniform on appropriate occasions.

10. well it still isnt a medal, its a brooch, but can be worn on the right chest centred above the breast pocket with the base of the Cross 3mm above the horizontal breast pocket seam.

the tiny purple ribbon comes off at the side, the cross isnt suspended from it.

Attached Files:

11. The NOK is nominated by the individual so would normally go to the spouse. For those unmarried the NOK tends to be mother or father. The bloodline has nothing to do with it.

How the NOK receive the Cross and Scroll is of their choosing. It can be sent through the post or presented by the Lord Lieutenant or by another suitable dignitary on behalf of Her Majesty.

Hope that corrects a few misunderstandings.

12. You are correct ref the NOK being nominated by the individual, however the Elizabeth Cross does not go to the NOK if the individual has children. In that case the medal goes to the male child in the first instance, female child if there is no male. The medals office take great pains to tell you about the bloodline, it had my wife in tears because they cannot do anything but follow the rules.

Relatives can request a scroll but not the Cross but can face great challenges getting one (we did and many of the parents we meet at the SSAFA Forces Help Bereavement Meetings did too).

Again you're right about the choice of delivery but not for the parents, they have no choice as they just get it posted to them.

So an interesting question would be: how many persons nominated as the NOK of a soldier killed on Ops are still serving and are permitted to wear the Elizabeth Cross? Not many I'd wager so it appears to be a bit of a white elephant!

Hope that clears a few thing up too.

13. Interesting over here up to three people (spouse, children etc) can be designated as recipients of the Memorial Cross
    DH&R - Canadian Honours Chart

Makes sense, especially in cases where there are a couple of children and/or a spouse and a former spouse.

Regs also allow for serving CF members who have been presented with the Memorial Cross to wear it on their uniform if/when decorations are worn. To my knowledge the only present serving member of the CF to wear a memorial cross is the widow of RSM, R. Girouard who was KIA in Afghanistan in 2008. She later joined the CF and I've seen a picture of her on her graduation parade from CFRS in uniform wearing it.

14. In our case there was an ex wife with which he had 3 kids, a partner in his home station and us as parents. I am obviously biased, but I don't see why in cases where the deceased is married/divorced with kids but has a parent still serving, the serving parent is not also issued with the medal so it can be worn in the appropriate uniform at appropriate events such as AFD & Remembrance.

Unfortunately even if they did decide to do this I'd more than likely not qualify as there is a very high probability that I'll be MD'd well before they could make a decision!