Wearing of ribbon without medal being issued

Discussion in 'Medals' started by skintboymike, Oct 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've had an LSGC medal sat at my regiment waiting to be issued to me for the last year. After looking through JSP 761, I have asked my tailoress to mount the ribbon.

Several people at my unit reckon I have jumped the gun, and that I should wait until I actually receive the gong before mounting the ribbon. If anyone has any authoritative advice on the matter I'm listening, cheers.
  2. If JPA says you have been given the medal or award, that would be farly official permission to wear it.
    If anyone argues show the printout?
  3. Ribbons are to be worn from the date of the award. Decorations and medals may be presented at a later date. (This also applies to miniatures on evening dress).
    That's from the RAF site regarding this, by the way. Couldn't find an Army one but would guess it would be the same.
    ISTR my ribbons were on before the official parade but memory could be playing tricks.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Even though I have been awarded the LSGC on JPA (and the London Gazette for that matter), some people at my Sqn are suggesting that it looks daft to wear the ribbon without the medal. JSP 761 seems to point towards my previous suggestion, but I would like a definitive answer as to what the proper procedure is. My options seem to be one of the following;

1. Wear ribbon, **** everyone else.
    2. Take off ribbon, I am a jumped up walt.
    3. Wear ribbon, blank-board LSGC medal.

Anyone got a clue?
  5. From the date of award or of its appearance in the London Gazette (which should be the same) you SHOULD wear the ribbon and minature of the medal to be presented. Its not about choice, that's what should be done. I didn't when the admin world lost one of mine and got reamed for not having the ribbon on my SD (costly error).

You have been awarded the medal so wear your ribbon with pride. Just because the system cant get it to you in time is not your fault. And no you shouldn't use the world walt as you ARE entitled to wear it.

Phew, rant over!
  6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

When the clasp for N Ireland for the GSM 62 was authorised, many units had completed tours. This meant that a huge number of medals had to be struck and issued by the medals office. However, all No2 jackets had the ribbon sewn on even though the medal had not reached the person. No medal parade either, just a white box with Name & number stamped on it and the medal inside. All our medals were signed for from the Coy Office then handed in to be court mounted.

As that is my only claim to 'glory' I have no other instance to evidence.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. I didn't actually intend to use the word 'walt', but it's so popular these days I couldn't help myself!
  8. To clarify - I would like to know the official way of doing this - No anecdotal evidence, no opinions, just facts. I have only recently learned that medals can be be blank boarded;

Which publication is this in? Can an LS&GC be blank-boarded too? Apologies for the rather direct questioning, but I don't want to be sitting on the wrong side of a big port fine if I can help it.