Wearing of rank at weddings

Just a quick query.

Is the wearing of rank one up from your own done across the board or is this just for a cfn/pte/spr/etc to allow them to wear a tape at their wedding?

Thanks in advance

Wee Jock.

PS, The search function has been used.

Not a practice I've heard of before. Probably the only set of blues available already had a tape on them and they never got around to taking them off.

Wee_Jock_Poopong said:
Just a quick query.

Is the wearing of rank one up from your own done across the board or is this just for a cfn/pte/spr/etc to allow them to wear a tape at their wedding?

Thanks in advance

Wee Jock.

Why would you want to do that?

You are the rank you are. There's nothing wrong with being a Pte/Tpr/Spr/Gnr - most of us started there!

oldfart said:
Wee_Jock_Poopong said:
Just a quick query.

Thanks in advance

Wee Jock.

You are the rank you are. There's nothing wrong with being a Pte/Tpr/Spr/Gnr - most of us started there!
It's a tradition.

amazing__lobster said:
oldfart said:
Wee_Jock_Poopong said:
Just a quick query.

Thanks in advance

Wee Jock.

It's a tradition.
Really? Well it's one I've never heard of - and would never have availed myself of even if I had.

oldfart said:
amazing__lobster said:
oldfart said:
Wee_Jock_Poopong said:
Just a quick query.

Thanks in advance

Wee Jock.

It's a tradition.
Really? Well it's one I've never heard of - and would never have availed myself of even if I had.
In the RE I knew lads who wore a lance jack tape when they got married in 1's, if they were a Sapper. Not sure if it applies to all ranks thought.

amazing__lobster said:
oldfart said:
amazing__lobster said:
oldfart said:
Wee_Jock_Poopong said:
Just a quick query.

Thanks in advance

Wee Jock.

It's a tradition.
In the RE I knew lads who wore a lance jack tape when they got married in 1's, if they were a Sapper. Not sure if it applies to all ranks thought.
Well you live and learn :)

It’s an urban Myth that lads accept as fact because it suits them.

There is nothing in QR’s, Army Dress Regs or Ceremonial for the Army. Soldiers do it because they choose to believe they can :D

Charm_City said:
I've heard that if you're 22 year Pte you can wear WO1 rank when you get married.

C_C
..and I also heard if you made it all the way through your career as a sapper and never got promoted, you got a WO1 pension.

Has to be true, Ive seen a few 15 year sweaty sappers who are obviously trying for it.

CAARPS said:
It’s an urban Myth that lads accept as fact because it suits them.

There is nothing in QR’s, Army Dress Regs or Ceremonial for the Army. Soldiers do it because they choose to believe they can :D
I thought it might be. I remember a mate of mine asked when he got married in his REME number ones (fighting postman's outfit) though I seem to remember there was talk of him getting twenty-five quid off the army because it made the local rag.

Or is/was that just another urban myth?

Charm_City said:
I've heard that if you're 22 year Pte you can wear WO1 rank when you get married.

C_C
Whats the betting in about 6 months time that duty rumour will be said on camps all over the country.

I know a chap who did this back in the 80s. After his picture was seen in a local rag the CO took 100 pounds off him.

If you are willing to wear badges or rank you have not earned, why not add a few medals too? A VC would look good for the day.

It is nothing more than walting and an offence. Anyone doing it should be shafted by their OC / CO for it.

amazing__lobster said:
It's a tradition.
That'll be the same tradition as wearing the Para Wings without bothering with the qualification then?

I hear it is still de riggeur in some Units :oops:

Edited to add: Why not call yourself Baron or Lord at the same time?

Tiger-Monkey2 said:
I know a chap who did this back in the 80s. After his picture was seen in a local rag the CO took 100 pounds off him.

If you are willing to wear badges or rank you have not earned, why not add a few medals too? A VC would look good for the day.

It is nothing more than walting and an offence. Anyone doing it should be shafted by their OC / CO for it.
IIRC, one of the lads I knew was told about it by his CoC. Although it was ages ago, I'm not sure if it was something to do with wearing of No1s? Perhaps this thread would be better placed on the PQ forum for one of the Padres to answer.

Not the one who tried to close down ARRSE single handedly, obviously.

ALREADYJACKEDGENIUS said:
amazing__lobster said:
It's a tradition.
That'll be the same tradition as wearing the Para Wings without bothering with the qualification then?

I hear it is still de riggeur in some Units :oops:

Edited to add: Why not call yourself Baron or Lord at the same time?
is it a acf instr getting wed? if so wear what you want, you do any hoo :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AT55 The Intelligence Cell 36
giles1969 Seniors 45
G REME 11