Wearing of OBE/MBE No Outrage Required

Discussion in 'Medals' started by Pronto_Mike_Uniform, Nov 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a query for my own info, no need to POL the bus or wake up the WaltenKommando.

Would an MBE/OBE be worn as part of a court mounted set of medals? Does it take precedence over military awards and campaign medals?

Just curious, no I do not have either and nobody is going to end up on the 9 O'Clock news being pelted with stones so everyone calm the **** down NOW!:crash:

2. I wear my MBE/OBE when and where I can it cost me enough

3. At the risk of providing a sensible answer on this place, yes it would.

IIRC, it would take precedence over campaign medals but not gallantry awards (MC etc).

4. The ones I've seen have always been the first one mounted ie first on the left when looking at them.

5. [Spotter Mode On]

Queen's Regulations for Army 1975

ABBREVIATED GUIDE TO THE ORDER IN WHICH ORDERS, DECORATIONS AND MEDALS ARE WORN

1. The Victoria Cross and the George Cross
    VC, GC

2. United Kingdom Orders
    KG, KT, GCB, OM, GCMG, GCVO, GBE, CH, KCB/DCB, KCMG/DCMG, KCVO/DCVO, KBE/DBE, CB, CMG, CVO, CBE, DSO, LVO, OBE, MVO, MBE

3. United Kingdom Decorations
    CGC, RRC, DSC, MC, DFC, AFC, ARRC

4. Order of St John (all classes)

5. United Kingdom Medals for Gallantry and Distinguished Service
    [DCM, CGM, CGM], GM [DSM, MM, DFM, AFM], QGM, RVM, [BEM], QVRM

6. United Kingdom Operational Service Medals, United Nations Medals and Medals of other recognised international organisations
    In order of date of award

7. Coronation and Jubilee Medals

8. Long Service and Efficiency, etc Awards
    Meritorious Service Medal
    Accumulated Campaign Service Medal
    Regular Forces LS & GC Medals(Army, RN, RAF, UDR/R IRISH (Home Service))
    [ERD], TD, RD
    RNR LS & GC Medal, [RFR LS & GC Medal], [RNXS Medal]
    AE, VRSM, [UD], NIHSM
    Queen’s Medals for Champion Shots, Cadet Forces Medal
    Rhodesia Medal

9. Commonwealth Orders, Decorations and Medals Instituted by The Sovereign

10. Commonwealth Orders, Decorations and Medals instituted since 1949 otherwise than by the Sovereign (including those of the States of Malaysia and the State of Brunei)

11. Foreign Orders
    Foreign Decorations (In order of date of award)
    Foreign Medals
    Medals of the Royal Humane Society and Medals of the Royal National Lifeboat Society
    These medals are to be worn on the right breast.

[Spotter Mode Off]

6. Thanks Chaps.

Much appreciated.

7. Out of interest, do you know if the same order of precedence applies to the order in which you write post-nominals?

Family is getting a headstone done and currently listing the DFM + Bar before the BEM. Should they be the other way round?

8. When using post nominals DFM comes before BEM

MBE would be before before DFM

9. OBE/MBE first unless you won a properly scarey gallantry medal.

p.s. ignore me, read above post unlike me.

10. I take it my VC and bar should be in front of my DSO then? Where does my MC and BEM go then? At present I have them just behind my National Defence Medal for operations in BAOR in the eighties.

11. Nah, VC and Bar in front of your MC, DSO and BEM (in that order)As for National Defence Medal - sell it on ebay - make sure you put SAS SBS Airborne in the description. Or just put it in the bin.

PMU !!!!!, hello mate, and in answer to your question they are worn, before campaign medals but AFTER gallantry awards. Get the beers in you crow!!

12. BEM? Were you a 22 year Corporal who ran the Garrison Scout Troop or Sergeants' mess bar particularly well ;)

Post edited to add:

The removal of the BEM on grounds that it was classist was, IMHO, an outrage. It meant that people who did sterling jobs worthy of recognition never got their gong as what they did was not quite worthy of an MBE while at the same time giving equivalency between a fecking lollipop lady and a member of the Armed Forces when it came to honours.

Besides, I ignore MBEs without the tell-tale stripe. Anyway, it's only the Victorian Order which is really worth anything as Her Maj dishes it out personally...

13. No they’re not they’re worn in the order shown above.

14. Ha Ha! Unlucky ACAB, you lose again. Beers on you me old mucker.

15. Her Maj also personally dishes out Order of the British Empire awards