Wearing of non approved medals

Can somebody please enlighten me as to why some ex forces feel the need to wear medals that have not been approved .i.e The BAOR Medal. or another version of the Queens Golden Jubilee Medal. I know that in todays Army that more medals are awarded than were previously, but surely there must be restrictions on non approved medals.

P

PrinceAlbert

Is it wrong of me to have my swimming medals court mounted alongside my other gongs?

feelings of inadequacy? Waltism?

dumbstruck said:
Can somebody please enlighten me as to why some ex forces feel the need to wear medals that have not been approved .i.e The BAOR Medal. or another version of the Queens Golden Jubilee Medal....
As a matter of interest, what is "another version of the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal"?

dumbstruck said:
Can somebody please enlighten me as to why some ex forces feel the need to wear medals that have not been approved .i.e The BAOR Medal. or another version of the Queens Golden Jubilee Medal. I know that in todays Army that more medals are awarded than were previously, but surely there must be restrictions on non approved medals.
If they're ex-forces, they can wear whatever they want. And frankly, honestly, if you look deep deep down within your soul, to the darkest corners of your conscience, you probably dont really care that much anyway.

They could court mount hubcaps for all I care.

hackle said:
dumbstruck said:
Can somebody please enlighten me as to why some ex forces feel the need to wear medals that have not been approved .i.e The BAOR Medal. or another version of the Queens Golden Jubilee Medal....
As a matter of interest, what is "another version of the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal"?
One with freddy, sitting aloft a rent boy.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
hackle said:
dumbstruck said:
At a reunion last year a mate wore his GSM (from decades ago) with pride, court mounted beside the Jubilee Medal he'd been awarded in the Police.

I was reading an artical in an old edition of soldier magazine, a number of pages were devoted to out raged old soldiers carping on about the amount of bling medals on offer and a few pages later there were several advertisments for bling medals.
I havent bought any myself, but I wouldnt shoot anyone down if they did and I know a lot of cold war warriors who are dischuffed about not being recognised for the years they served in BAOR.

LancePrivateJones

MIA
Book Reviewer
hackle said:
dumbstruck said:
The Lofties brought out their own version at the time of the Golden Jubilee.
Horrible looking thing with a yellow ribbon as I recall.
It's just another piece of tat for private purchase.

dumbstruck said:
1.What concern is it of yours?
2.Do you really have nothing else to worry about?

hackle said:
dumbstruck said:
By jingo it's a fancy looking thing!

Attachments

scoobydont said:
Iand I know a lot of cold war warriors who are dischuffed about not being recognised for the years they served in BAOR.
'Dischuffed' about what exactly? And are they any more 'dischuffed' that the troops who served in UK and whose role it was to reinforce BAOR?

That renegade QJM is fuggly! Regarding bling gongs, though, other armies or, rather, veterans of other armies and other times have worn unofficial medals to reunions without being slagged off for it. Take the unofficial medals acquired by French veterans of WW1 battles like Verdun and Chemin des Dames. Coming back to the British Army and the Cold War, a lot of former soldiers are indeed sore that there was no medal for their service in Germany and on other 'fronts'. A bar to the CSM might have been a reasonably cost-effective solution. Mind you, would the Cold War qualify as a 'campaign'? Ha! Therein lies food for discussion! Then there are the guys pissed off about not having enough time in back then for a LSGC Medal or its TA equivalent, who see the new awards given for nine rather than twelve years or whatever it was.

For my own part, the way things are today, I'd rather see the money that would be spent on issuing former BAOR and Cold War era personnel with a service medal spent on looking after our wounded lads instead. It would be nice to see military hospitals reopened. It would be good to see the media desisting - and I speak as a journalist - from using the word 'injured' instead of 'wounded'. Blah blah blah... But pigs might fly.

PrinceAlbert said:
Is it wrong of me to have my swimming medals court mounted alongside my other gongs?
Just make sure they are in order of precedence:

e.g. Silver, Bronze, Ovaltinies medal, Radio 1 welly boot badge etc :p

Can it have a nice ribbon?
Would there be different classes dependant on how long you served? You know that people will whinge that they got the same medal as some one who only served for 3 years, yet they did 22!

donmac said:
dumbstruck said:
1.What concern is it of yours?
2.Do you really have nothing else to worry about?
I take it that you wear one of these "SPECIAL" medals, I believe that they detract from medals that are actually awarded. If people wish to wear "SPECIAL" medals then they can if it makes them feel "SPECIAL". I still believe and always will do that if it has'nt been awarded then you don't wear it. That's why the two medals I was given after the 1st Gulf (The Kuwaiti and Saudi medals) reside in my bottom draw.