Wearing of No 4 Dress (Warm weather SD) in the UK and western Europe.

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by BuggerAll, Jun 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Does anyone know what the rules are on wearing No 4 dress in the UK or Western Europe and where they can be found?

I'm sure I've seen it said that No 4 Dress is allowed at any event instead of No 2 provided one is not on parade with soldiers in No 2 dress. I've certainly seen plenty of officers wearing it - 2 very senior ones pictured below. (But just because they do it does not mean it's right)

I'm asking because I'm attending an event and my SD has had it. It's older than me, t's been attacked by moths and has had to be altered and repaired a number of times and looks shabby. I won't get FAD in time. My No 4 looks sharp as a rake is comfortable.

article-0-0679FAA2000005DC-228_233x581.jpg sm-image-5-215354179.jpg

2. Do it. Get picked up for it and point them in the direction of CDS.

3. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

BA, The reference you're looking for is in Joint Service Publication 336: The Defence Supply Chain Manual. Vol. 12, Part 3, Pamphlet 3, Sect. 1 (just quoting the title alone should be sufficient to fend off any undercover RSMs). What JSP 336 actually says is that an officer is entitled to be issued No.4 Dress uniform on being posted to a warm weather climate. It doesn't mention any restriction on where he can wear it, other than, as you've already pointed out, there will be ORs parading in which case the acceptable warm weather uniform is either No.3 or No.6 Dress as all ranks are issued these. Hope this helps.

4. Isan't there a little bit of the Middle Eastern dictator look about it, though?

5. No.It is actually one of the best forms of dress the Army has. It is light and easy to maintain, it keeps it's creases and is comfortable. It looks and wears much better than FAD and I suspect is also cheaper.

6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I agree with you which is why I'd like to wear it but I need to make sure it is allowed.

7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Defo. Pakistani Generals have been wearing it to coup d'états since 1958!

Seriously though, it is a good looking uniform, like a better quality version of the Australian General Duty 'Polys'.

8. Achieve the look you are aiming for with your cap perched jauntily atop your head and accessorised with some swags from mum's curtains. Make sure you take your lady friend, she can wear your standard No 8 / 95 stuff and a fierce scowl. It's a winner.

[​IMG]

9. You need Army Dress Regulations, Part 2, Section 2 - Orders of Dress and Occasions when worn, para 02.021:

You just need to work out who authorises you to wear it! :)

10. Amazing as it may seem I've been in thea army for 2 years and I still haven't been issued with a uniform. (honest!) The clothing store at aldershot have finally offered me 2 pairs of lighwieghts; - after initialy denying that I even was in the army, (but I believe lightweights aren't proper uniform anymore, and anyway they look crap) I have been based at the Navy's MHHU at Derriford hospital, Plymouth and the offical line is from the clothing stores that because I'm based in Plymouth I don't qualify for a FAD uniform. Although most of the time I'm wearing scrubs - my Navy bosses are expecting me to be more proactive about acquiring a uniform from somewhere. I think the No 4 would be the best as I think they are the easiest to clean. I've tried ebay, can anyone suggest where I can get a set? (waist 34, leg 34) Also can anyone explain the army clothing measurements, (eg 186/106/98?) and what is a 'seat size'?!?
    Cheers