Wearing of Mess Dress post Army career

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Dzerzhinskiey, Dec 6, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dunno about the army rig, but as a rozzer with a fair bit of service I've never, ever known anybody (did I mention ever) wearing police uniform of any description to a black tie function. Don't do it. Just don't. It's sadder than a Lloyd Cole song on a wet Tueday afternoon in Morecambe.

My course dining out at Hendon night was strictly black tie. A few of the Scottish blokes wore kilts, but didn't see any Mess Dress (and we had a handful of ex-SNCOs and two ex-officers on my intake). Miniatures were worn, though.

V!

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'm pretty sure that you can't wear any military uniform once you have been discharged and are no longer on any reserve list

3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Retired officers can, and do, wear their mess dress. Not sure what the rules are for former SNCOs. I have also met a number of police officers and fire brigade officers wearing mess dress at military functions.

4. Why would you want to wear the most uncomfortable, expensive drinking suit in the world?

• Like Like x 1
  5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The police and fire service have their own mess dress (with variations depending upon force/brigade), as do St John Ambulance and various shipping lines.

6. Retired officers are permitted to wear their mess dress with a metal roman 'R' at the bottom of the rank epaulette to indicate 'Retired'. This is no longer common and difficult to do in the Footguards(!), but dates from when Territorial Officers wore 'T' below their rank.

7. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

As VB said retired officer can wear uniform on appropiate occations (any uniform, not just mess dress) They should wear an 'R' on thier rank slide to indicate that they are retired.

I've seem retired officers in Blues at military weddings and attending parades indeed some retired officers who have appointments like Camp Commandants etc often wear uniform.

Whether its appropiate at a police dinner I couldn't say...

8. cos theyve paid an absolute fortune for it.

9. Iagree as stated above that dress regs say you can as long as you have a small "R" embroidered badge-I sat opposite a retired WO2 at a Fathers' Dinner Night and his "R" was just above his crown. Try your old Corps/Regt dress regs-failing that just go for it and who'll care?

10. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

To need permission to get the "R" from APC and you only get that if you are in employment as an RO post. Went through the hoop for this a couple of years ago for one of our LEs who came back into a RO3 post.

If you are not in employment by MOD, then no mess kit allowed post retirement for either Offr or Senior.

11. You can wear Mess Kit anytime you like. It is a uniform but it has been purchased by the individual. If they wish to be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDD as to wear it after leaving the Army, let them. Just treat it as fancy dress, like serving bods do.

12. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Saw an Wo from RAMC wear his to a Sports Award dinner, he looked a complete eejit especially since it would appear he'd put on a few pounds since he was initially measured for it and it wasn't a black tie dinner!

13. Why doesnt that surprise me. (Ex RAMC myself).