Wearing of medals in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by Crab_Fat, Jun 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am leaving the British Forces to go and join the New Zealand Air Force. Does anyone know what the order of wear would be should I get a campaign medal off them?
  2. Campaign medals are worn in chronological order. If you get one from NZ it will go next in line to any you already have (this is presuming that you can wear your Brit medals in NZ)

Hope this helps
  3. Yes I can, including the Jubilee medal.
  4. From here.

You'll get more gongs from the Campaign for Real Ale. Nice country tho'.
  5. That is not correct.

You wear any NZ medals first, then your UK medals. If you do a search on New Zealand medals you will find the excellent NZ MoD medals site which tells you everything you need to know. Look under the FAQs I think your specific question is answerd there.
  6. You wear them in the same order as you do in the British Army, just upside down...
  7. This is the rule for British personnel and I would presume that it applies to ex-personnel.
  8. Then you are wrong. Look at the NZ Army site and go the their medals site. It is very well done. If you are a serving member of the NZDF you will follow their rules. This is clearly laid out and it specifically mentions British medals awared during prior service in UK forces.

Look it up, it is very simple NZ Army follows NZ rules.
  9. Excellent site, easier to read than most British ones. Perhaps I've mis-read it but doesn't it follow the same suggestion that I made? For example, the NZOSM goes in advance of GSM etc.
    Note also the caveat:
  10. This point
    means that if the medal was not awarded by the Queen of New Zealand then it comes after any award given by the Queen of New Zealand. Remember that
    Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, Queen of New Zealand and Her Other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith
    is different from
    Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith in this case.

So, NZ medals have priority over UK awards when mounting, unless the NZ soldier is serving in the UK or attending an official function hosted by the UK...
    Where a VC, GC, or other shared decoration goes would have to be thrashed out, but would anyone argue with someone wearing a VC awarded by the Queen of GB&NI in front of the Cadet Forces Medal awarded by the Queen of NZ?
  11. Without referring back to the list (which will probably be my undoing ;) ), I seem to recall that the NZ order is very similar to the UK order other than that there are three NZ operational medals that precede the UK issued ones. In respect of the original question, that's probably as far into the order that needs to be considered.

Though I do wonder if Crab_fat intends to have his medals re-hung with a gap at the front, just on the off-chance.
  12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Off thread but I think plenty of folk coming here might know the answer (apologies) (and I think the NZ medal Q got answered)

Wathcing Dr Who the other day he bumped into Queen Victoria and described her somethinmg like her Royal Highness, Queen of England, Ireland, Something of India and protector of the faith (it was a lot more wordy than that).

My question is, where can I find the full honourific titles held by our various Most Great monarchs over recent history. I am particularly aiming to wind up Indian and American colleagues with this information. BS contributions will do! If you happen to know the answer feel free to post...

Sorry and thanks.

Mr H
  13. From the VICTORIA CROSS WARRANT (29th January 1856 to 1920) http://www.victoriacross.co.uk/vcrules.html

The titles of all the monarchs from 1867 can be found at http://www.patrimoinecanadien.gc.ca/progs/cpsc-ccsp/fr-rf/confed_e.cfm

The best, though, is that of Idi Amin: http://africanhistory.about.com/od/biography/a/bio_amin.htm
    "His Excellency President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular." Though I suspect that there's a hint of urban myth to this.