Wearing of medal

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by GrandadsMOB, Dec 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A serious question (but I'm not expecting many serious answers, this being ARRSE an' all. Just one will do!) [​IMG]

I've been invited to a(n) RBL Annual Christmas Lunch and the leaflet says "Medals may be worn if desired".

Dress is "smart casual" - I'm told a blazer and slacks (i.e. Gurkha mufti) is acceptable.

Two questions, s'il vous plaît, from yous eminent gentlemen/gentleladies:

1. would it be walty to wear my medal at all (GSM with Dhofar clasp)

2. If 1 = No then is the full-size medal acceptable (it's the only one I've got!)

I theng you [​IMG]

GMOB

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

1. No, invite says you can. Whether you want to is personal preference.

2. Full size is correct for lounge suits/blazer.

3. The ribbon alone would surfice in mufti I would think.
    It may be worth asking the old boys at the RBL for their take on what to do as it is their piss u..... Christmas lunch.

4. Don't forget your National Express coach driver blazer badge/licence. You'll fit right in.
    Now the pi$$takings out of the way - flll yer boots.

5. Begob! That was quick.

Thank you, your Dukeness [​IMG]

6. Ya bollix. That's what somebody said to me when I turned up in my brand new M & S Blazer (not JUST a blazer, an M & S blazer).

"You look like an Ulster Bus Driver on tour."

7. Boils down to personal choice. If I was attending said function I would certainly wear my gong, the older and bolder gents most certainly will have their medals "on parade".

8. They would probably ask you why you didn't wear them, as the old boys like 'em on display.

I am always bedazzling them with my GSM and Jubbly ting and ting

9. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Stick them in your pocket & suss out what the old n bold are doing. If they are all bling, pop into the loo & sort yours.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I would do what oldbaldy says too.

11. If the RBL state that gongs can be worn if desired then there you go. I would be mightily surprised if the membership didn't wear them....with the usual proviso that commemorative gongs should be avoided in order to avoid the ARRSE secret police from demanding your public execution.

12. Oooh. Smart as a carrot in that! Must get one for next time (if I'm invited back - must avoid making an ARRSE of meself) [​IMG]