Wearing of IPods when on duty.

It's all well and good, but eventually you're in a convoy in Iraq and Kanye West's 'Golddigger' is being blared out of every vehicle. Because you've become the American army.

(Not my annecdote, but from a reliable source non-the-less).

supercynical said:
I wear mine at work - mainly to drown out the *-spouting oxygen thieves that make up the RAF (Regiment) that happen to drift past me from time to time. I see it as a cost and time saving measure because if I didn't wear it I would have caused actual bodily harm to those wa**ers who make my p*ss boil, spouting utter w*nk within my earshot, and therefore beginning the long and protracted discipline cycle the Army has in place. Do I walk round with it on? No, as that would make me a bell-end. Do I use it at my desk to drown out the distractions? - of course. Does it make me look like a c*nt? yeah, probably. Do I care? - do I f*ck!
the force is strong in you young padwan. I wouldnt worry about the robust discipline cycle. youd get a medal for showing those scumbags exactly who they were - gay crabfat wasters.

Closet_Jibber said:
Von_Paulus said:
Joe_Private said:
Closet_Jibber said:
Oh dear lord. They're passing the time by listening to some music whilst still working.

God forbid this outrage.
My objection is based on the premise that the little scrotes cannot be trusted to:

a. leave one earphone out, thus becoming a danger to themselves and their oppos.

b. not use their players when carrying out other mundane tasks when at a higher state of readiness.

c. not use their mobile phones surreptitiously when use of phones is banned for operational reasons.

I would have no objections to a boogie-box blaring out music for all and sundry to listen to whilst they worked.
Joe, The point you make is exactly what I was thinking. It was a case of "give them an inch, and they'll take a mile" I listened to music when in my office (with door closedm obviously), but when a senior officer came in, I would switch it off.
How about give them an inch and they'll work for a mile.

I never reached dizzy enough heights to be in charge of any more than 8 lads but they always worked their t1ts off as I was a realist and let them find their own ways of doing things as long as it was within my ability to deflect sh1t from jobsworth bosses and Ranting Relics who thought that everything should be done as it was in the 70's.
VP your initial beef was with a couple of lads listenin got an iPod whislt cleaning a mini gun on board a RN ship, not in sight of civvies or non Andy personnel bar YOU.

Now you propose that it is "OK" to listen to a radio whilst YOU work becaues you turned it off, but the young enlisted folk can´t be trusted to turn their iPod off if apporached wilst cleaning hte mini gun?

Perhaps you would prefer the ships PA system to play BFBS all over the boat?

Get a fcuking grip, the minigunpost is their office, and they are listening to music carrying out mundane tasks.

Ramp the op tempo up and the lads will rise to the challenge I assure you.

Perhaps you ccok sockets should open the doors to your office more instead of hiding away with your "secret tunes".

Trust is a two way street after all. You declare you don´t trust them to do menial tasks at eitehr low or higher states of alertness, I wonder if they would follow you out of anything other than curiosty?

And how did fcuking mobile phones get brought up?

chocolate_frog said:
Closet_Jibber said:
Von_Paulus said:
Joe_Private said:
Closet_Jibber said:
Blah.
Blah.
Blah.
VP your initial beef was with a couple of lads listenin got an iPod whislt cleaning a mini gun on board a RN ship, not in sight of civvies or non Andy personnel bar YOU.
But, that's not the point now, is it?
Choccyfrog said:
Now you propose that it is "OK" to listen to a radio whilst YOU work becaues you turned it off, but the young enlisted folk can´t be trusted to turn their iPod off if apporached wilst cleaning hte mini gun?
Again, not the point.
frog said:
Entirely feasible, and quite common. It's called SRE. (The "S" is for "Ship's", by the way.)
ditto said:
Get a fcuking grip, the minigunpost is their office, and they are listening to music carrying out mundane tasks.
No! It is not! They are supposed to be 'On Watch'. They are supposed to be alert. They are not in some REMF office driving a desk, they are on a warship.
I wish I could share your optimism.
Perhaps you ccok sockets should open the doors to your office more instead of hiding away with your "secret tunes".
My 'office' does not even have a door.
Trust is a two way street after all. You declare you don´t trust them to do menial tasks at eitehr low or higher states of alertness, I wonder if they would follow you out of anything other than curiosty?
I give my lads the lattitude they need. They follow me because it's their job, and they know that I only ask of them that which is both necessary and which I am prepared to do. I know their limitations, foibles, and their levels of trustworthiness.
That was me. It's one of my pet hates. Do you realise just how dangerous these things can be?

Joe_Private said:
ditto said:
No! It is not! They are supposed to be 'On Watch'. They are supposed to be alert. They are not in some REMF office driving a desk, they are on a warship.
I thought they were CLEANING a mini gun... if they were on watch on an important duty ie look out, i would assume they would be 100% looking out, rather than cleaning a minigun.

chocolate_frog said:
Joe_Private said:
ditto said:
I thought they were CLEANING a mini gun... if they were on watch on an important duty ie look out, i would assume they would be 100% looking out, rather than cleaning a minigun.
If they are turned-to on watch, they should still be alert. They were at sea, not alongside. It's not their daddy's fekkin yacht, it's one of Her Majesty's warships.

If they were scrubbing out off-watch for Captain's Rounds, then this would have been almost excusable, but this does not appear to be the case.

Joe_Private said:
chocolate_frog said:
Closet_Jibber said:
Von_Paulus said:
Joe_Private said:
Closet_Jibber said:
Blah.
Blah.
Blah.
But, that's not the point now, is it?
Choccyfrog said:
Again, not the point.
frog said:
Entirely feasible, and quite common. It's called SRE. (The "S" is for "Ship's", by the way.)
ditto said:
I wish I could share your optimism.
My 'office' does not even have a door.
I give my lads the lattitude they need. They follow me because it's their job, and they know that I only ask of them that which is both necessary and which I am prepared to do. I know their limitations, foibles, and their levels of trustworthiness.
That was me. It's one of my pet hates. Do you realise just how dangerous these things can be?
Don't trust your lads? They follow you because they have to (rather than because they respect you)? Because they listen to MP3 players (which they are allowed to do) they would break other rules? Delusions of grandee?

The epitomoy of a crap boss :roll:

Oh, and by stating the above, for the casual observer, you're not really saying much about the caliber of the average squaddie, are you :wink:

amazing__lobster said:
Don't trust your lads? They follow you because they have to (rather than because they respect you)? Because they listen to MP3 players (which they are allowed to do) they would break other rules?

The epitomoy of a crap boss :roll:
Who said I don't trust my lads? Not everyone I can deliver a bollocking to is one of my lads. I don't trust all of this larger group. Just because their CoC allows them to listen to MP3 players does not make it right. I also know, from experience, that some do not have the sense to understand when certain behaviours are unacceptable. Crap boss? my superiors may think so, but I don't believe my lads do.

What's the drama? Some matelots cleaning a mini gun whilst listening to music...woopee do. He's not sat manning it on a high state of alert is he? This "he's on watch" argument, and? What's the difference between that and someone "on duty" doing some menial cleaning task whilst listening to music?

wet_blobby said:
What's the drama? Some matelots cleaning a mini gun whilst listening to music...woopee do. He's not sat manning it on a high state of alert is he? This "he's on watch" argument, and? What's the difference between that and someone "on duty" doing some menial cleaning task whilst listening to music?
Compare and contrast being alongside vs at sea.

He may be at sea but are they in "defence watches" or normal routine or relaxed routine? I honestly fail to see what some people are getting on their high horses about.

wet_blobby said:
He may be at sea but are they in "defence watches" or normal routine or relaxed routine? I honestly fail to see what some people are getting on their high horses about.
Would you be happy on a ship where a member of the SSFP was loafing about wearing an i-pod, regardless of the routine?

I was always happy on a ship because I was the one that was loafing about. Or should I have been trying to look all steely eyed and deadly in case there was a spare perce occifer bimbling around?

If the guy is cleaning the weapon even I could figure out he probably wasn't in imminent danger of using it.

They fcuking surrendered, end off. They got big girly coward heads on and decided to throw in the towel.

They have, rightly or wrongly, now given the RM and the RN a reputation of throwing their arms up and saying that the worse thing that they felt after that was that their Ipods were nicked.

I'm not a Para and would never lower my IQ enough to be one, but I bet that they would have fired first and fcuked the consequences and died before being captured and paraded.

Aunty Stella said:
I'm not a Para and would never lower my IQ enough to be one.....
I would put money on my having a higher IQ than you, and being a Para was one of my unfulfilled ambitions. Not through lack of ability, but lack of opportunity, due to my other career choices.

Aunty Stella said:
They fcuking surrendered, end off. They got big girly coward heads on and decided to throw in the towel.

They have, rightly or wrongly, now given the RM and the RN a reputation of throwing their arms up and saying that the worse thing that they felt after that was that their Ipods were nicked.

I'm not a Para and would never lower my IQ enough to be one, but I bet that they would have fired first and fcuked the consequences and died before being captured and paraded.
Really? after that little rant I beg to differ. :roll:

West side boys ring any bells with you, or shall we carry on discussing the rights or wrongs of listening to music whilst cleaning weapons?

Sorry but I fail to see how VP can complain about a matelot cleaning a minigun whilst listening to music, when he himself listens to music in his office.....

NEWSFLASH You are BOTH on duty-watch.

I wouldn´t allow a bloke on stag to listen to music, but a guy in the garages, I wouldn´t have a drama.

Any similarites between the two? Yep, they ARE both on duty.

So I would have a problem with some one sitting in the crows nest or tweaking the sails and listening to music.

But cleaning a minigun, sweeping hte hanger deck or brassoing the golden rivet?

Wet Blobby and Chocolate Frog. Joe Private shows just enough understanding of naval terms to either be a JO F*&K WHIT awaiting his fleet board or else some pongo who once spent a dog watch crossing the solent. In either case he has no room to coment on a decison made by the CO of the warship in question. Guess his real problem is that hes probably such an **** retent that he wouldnt be able to load his classical music on to an MP3 Player as his gramaphone has no digital output.

Come on, I was expecting a better bite than that after managing to slag of the Paras AND the Marines in 5 short lines :)

Personally I wouldn't do either job, but that's because I like hiding and cowering in ditches.

RN are still a bunch of mincing fcukwits though.

What is everyones view about wearing ipods/etc when on squaded runs/TABS. If they stop boredom and allow guys to enjoy PT a bit, isn't it good. As long as they are quiet enough/in one ear so they can hear what is going on around them.
Professionalism is doing your job correctly, does it matter if you are listenly to music while doing it? It's not like your stood outside Buckingham Palace.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mighty_doh_nut The NAAFI Bar 123
PartTimePongo The NAAFI Bar 54
W Medals 29