Wearing Of Head dress

Can some one help me out on a dis-agreement I have with another senior rank? I believe that it is not compulsary to wear head dress when moving to and from the Unit Cookhouse during lunchtime. Am i correct?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
As I understand it, headdress need not be worn when going to breakfast, but at other times it should. This, of course, depends on Regimental Custom/CO/RSM.

Marky5503 said:
Can some one help me out on a dis-agreement I have with another senior rank? I believe that it is not compulsary to wear head dress when moving to and from the Unit Cookhouse during lunchtime. Am i correct?
oh yes and you should merrily beat time with your mug and kfs too. Correct, are you fairycakes! put that RHD on...

Cuddles said:
Marky5503 said:
oh yes and you should merrily beat time with your mug and kfs too. Correct, are you fairycakes! put that RHD on...
Cuddles... you saying this from extensive knowledge of all aspects of military life or you just saying it because thats what you believe?

I used to see juniors going to the cookhouse without headress at meal times but I believe it could well have been just brekky

and it was a fekking long time ago , some of them probably outrank me now !

Marky5503 said:
Cuddles said:
Marky5503 said:
Cuddles... you saying this from extensive knowledge of all aspects of military life or you just saying it because thats what you believe?
Nope...it is gospel...i.e. in QRs. L ocal discretion is not actually applicable to QRs despite what some badgemen think.

The argument stems from the recruit training practice of marching the blokes to meals. The recruits would be bare-headed, indicating that they were going to scoff and should not, therefore, be spammed for other duties. Headdress, not worn in the canteen, could be left in the billet and so didn't need to be stuffed in pockets, gathering fluff. The NCO marching them would have his hat on, giving him the ability to salute while the troops would give an eyes left/right.

Trouble is, it then gets ingrained (incorrectly) in the blokes that going to meals automatically means no headdress.

So, to sum up, headdress should be worn when going to meals unless when being marched as a bare-headed body, the NCO in charge retaining his in order to pay compliments.

Only the Royal Engineers - Were granted the right back in nineteen clickety two

thats a fact

but dont ask me to elaborate on it cos i dont know - but i know its right

daftpigeon said:
I heard it was a cav thing......so an officer canny ask you to hold his hourse over lunch time!
But if it was a cavalry practise who would hold the junior rank's horse?

Is it not canny Officer? My mistake, they are rarely canny in the cavalry...

Iv'e always had to wear my hat when out doors even going to the cookhouse regardless of what mealtime it was.
Mind you if you left your hat on the table and went for seconds or something you would find the inside covered in everyones elses leftovers.Many a time I have had to walk back to the troop with bean sauce and custard dripping down the side of my grid

Fcuk me. If someone fcuks with your beret in our mob you have the right to mill the cnut through the table.

Puttees is right as far as i knew. Its to stop people getting d1cked. The safety wasnt just in not having headress but in that the senior NCO marching you will also deflect spammings!

As an ex-Cav bloke, I can tell you that we would saunter down to breakfast with no berets on, we would always ditch berets in the block on the way to lunch and evening meal was a bit of a free-for-all in mixed dress. Mealtimes in the Cav are always a bit of a relaxed time and I quite often strolled to scoff with my SSM in lightweights, tee-shirt and hands in my pockets ! But, there again, its a Cav thing !............and as an after-thought, I do seem to remember that the Blues & Royals would salute their Ruperts even when not wearing any form of head-gear !

Bad_Crow said:
Fcuk me. If someone fcuks with your beret in our mob you have the right to mill the cnut through the table.

Puttees is right as far as i knew. Its to stop people getting d1cked. The safety wasnt just in not having headress but in that the senior NCO marching you will also deflect spammings!
True Crow but you get your own back bydepositing your manfat in there shampoo etc thesame guy doesn't normally get you twice.

The_Dragoon said:
As an ex-Cav bloke, I can tell you that we would saunter down to breakfast with no berets on, we would always ditch berets in the block on the way to lunch and evening meal was a bit of a free-for-all in mixed dress. Mealtimes in the Cav are always a bit of a relaxed time and I quite often strolled to scoff with my SSM in lightweights, tee-shirt and hands in my pockets ! But, there again, its a Cav thing !............and as an after-thought, I do seem to remember that the Blues & Royals would salute their Ruperts even when not wearing any form of head-gear !
Yep, we did too, and at Trng Regt my mate was Blues and Jews and he regularly saluted ossifers without his caubeen on. One Rupert pulled him for it and my mate quoted 'regimental priviledge' to him, the Provost Sgt stood nodding to the Rupert to let him know he'd cocked up.

However - I went to the cookhouse without beret and belt in the infantry too - and saw other units doing the same.

I can accept the explanation that we were allowed to do it to stop people spamming us when we were going to scoff but never bothered to ask why myself.

The_Dragoon said:
Saluting without head dress is for all ranks of the blues and royals bar officers who caused the tradition in the first place. The Marquis of Granby lost his wig at the Battle of Blenheim and reported to the Duke of Marlborough with a salute. As a trooper I always attended meals hatless but that was back in the days when we still did bft's in boots....(sound of a dragging sandbag)

Fer God's sake put your hat on and keep it on! It really rankles when one sees slovenly squaddies hankering around town or nipping to Tesco without their headress. If yer in uniform, wear uniform...all of it!! End of.

In support of some of the other commenters, I didn't wear a belt or head dress when going to Breakfast. However, for other meals we did.

As breakfast is a parade and the only meal you can be charged for not having if you faint on parade etc and are found not to have eaten at the start of the day, I find it strange as the only meal we never used to wear head dress.

We did do a circuitous route to avoid bumping into ruperts and having to brace up there and back :wink: