Wearing of GSM at ceremonial occasions

Discussion in 'Medals' started by brubaker19, Jun 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was awarded a GSM for service in Northern Ireland which is also where I come from. I was also just elected as a Councillor was just wondering about the form for wearing it. Noted that some councillors last year wore medals at the service of remembrance which I attended myself - that is an easy one. We wear full robes on very formal / ceremonial occasions and one of these is coming up. Clearly don't want to look a tit. So SOPs on wearing medals other than Rem Sunday?

Cheers PJ
  2. HHH

HHH LE

Does your council not have a ruling on this, I know some councils just wear the medals on their robes at Remembrance Sunday and any official event involving the Armed Forces e.g. Freedom Of Town/City Parades etc.
    At any other offical event they do not wear medals.
  3. Ask the Clerk to the Council s/he will know what the tradition/custom/habit is for your Council. That said if you wish to wear your GSM with your robes it would be a very petty mayor/chairman who had a go at you for it.
  4. Once in camp in Windsor the mayor came for something or other, he had the GSM (NI) on, looked good and saw him in a different light. I go for it if possible.
  5. Your now a civvie, as such you can wear it whenever and wherever you like.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. We can safely conclude that we don't yet live in a perfect Platonic democracy when our elected representatives ask for protocol advice on an internet site full of cadets, cadet abusers, civvie mongs and (a few) half-cut ex-squaddies...
  7. Thanks guys I will ask the head of member services as to what the protocol is - your thoughts are very much appreciated.