Wearing of GSM at ceremonial occasions

I was awarded a GSM for service in Northern Ireland which is also where I come from. I was also just elected as a Councillor was just wondering about the form for wearing it. Noted that some councillors last year wore medals at the service of remembrance which I attended myself - that is an easy one. We wear full robes on very formal / ceremonial occasions and one of these is coming up. Clearly don't want to look a tit. So SOPs on wearing medals other than Rem Sunday?

Cheers PJ

Does your council not have a ruling on this, I know some councils just wear the medals on their robes at Remembrance Sunday and any official event involving the Armed Forces e.g. Freedom Of Town/City Parades etc.
At any other offical event they do not wear medals.

Ask the Clerk to the Council s/he will know what the tradition/custom/habit is for your Council. That said if you wish to wear your GSM with your robes it would be a very petty mayor/chairman who had a go at you for it.

Once in camp in Windsor the mayor came for something or other, he had the GSM (NI) on, looked good and saw him in a different light. I go for it if possible.

We can safely conclude that we don't yet live in a perfect Platonic democracy when our elected representatives ask for protocol advice on an internet site full of cadets, cadet abusers, civvie mongs and (a few) half-cut ex-squaddies...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mighty_doh_nut The NAAFI Bar 123
PartTimePongo The NAAFI Bar 54
W Medals 29