Wearing of Foreign Medals

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Baghdad-Brit, Feb 2, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am aware that we are almost certainly not allowed to wear foreign medals awarded when attached to other Armies but does anyone know if there is a protocol or procedure permitting them to be worn?

Someone in ARRSEland must know ?

2. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Perhaps someone will come back with the specific rules but in general you need the Queen's permission to wear foriegn medals normally, and the rules under which this is granted are pretty tight.

If you are attached to a foriegn military, or meeting a foriegn head of state or senior person from that country then it the practise to wear any medals issued by that country. (People working in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia who have the Kuwait / Saudi GW1 medals are expected to wear them when in and around the Gulf.

You are suppossed to seak permission before accepting foriegn medals and when you can wear them would also be part of that permission.

Commander Rick Jolly (of the Red and Green life saving machine in the Falklands) was given a top Argentinian award recently, which the Queen has given him permission to wear.

Anyway enough spotter waffle there must be a story behind your question - out with it Sir!

3. The rules can be found in 'Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) Regulations'.
    No foreign medal is to be worn without special authority being granted by MOD.

Basically if they are tinpot gongs such as the Kuwait/Saudi medals then you cant wear them.

4. As Foxy says lets not wear the tinpot medals. The precedent was set by Queen Elizabth the First who said: 'My dogs won't wear another man's collar' or words to that effect. Firstly one can't accept an award or medal without permission... if you get that far you will be given either restricted or unrestriced permission.

There is an incredibly detailed and authoratative book by Lt Col A R Tinson called 'Medals Will Be Worn'.

An example of restricted is in the presence of the country's head of state, or in the official residence of the ambassador, or when officially meeting a Minister, on official ceremonies or occassions.

The more senior you are the more likely you are to be able to wear it - e.g., there was an US Bronze Star awarded to a Naval Officer for Op TELIC 1.

5. If you have a foreign gallantry award,then you will receive a letter from Buck House,granting permission to wear it.The letter requires it to be worn,after UK awarded ribbons etc

6. What about medals like these ones:
    http://www.cjmedals.co.uk/military_showcase.html

BAOR medal?
    The alterantive Golden Jubilee medal?

surely these are for collectors?
    If not we should make a few of our own like the "I was first in the queue for the Naafi four mornings in a row cross"
    and the "I did national service couldnt wait to get out but now harp on about how great the army was while wearing my regimental blazer" medal.

7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Have you had a chat with D-L!

8. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Also if you served in the Sudan, in 1896 you can wear the Khedives medal.

9. what about commonwealth medals? I'm eligible for the Canadian Peacekeeping Service medal for work I did before joining the army, also the SFOR medal. Obviously the SFOR medal is pretty bog-standard, but what if you earned it before joining the british army? in the process of applying for both now, just curious as to whether I could wear either of them.

10. I swam ten metres at aged 7 and was chuffed to bits with the badge - buggered if I'm sewing that badge to my kit now tho!!

It's the bloke that counts not the baubles!

11. Cdn_spr you may well be entitled to wear those medals as I believe that the Queen remains the head of state of Canada. Certainly I have seen at least one serving British Officer wearing his Vietnam campaign medals from his previous Aussie Army service. They were campaign medals not gallantry awards.

12. well I'll certainly find out if they ever get around to sending them out to me. Come to think of it I think the same applies in reverse for brits wearing their gongs when moving across to the cdn army, although could be wrong.

13. Good point. I don't know the British rules on this, but can see no good reason for not wanting soldiers to wear their Canadian Peacekeeping Medal, or SFOR Medal earned in Canadian service.

Police I think do allow Commonwealth medals?

Although the "Mugabe Matabeleland Massacre Medal" might be a different matter.

14. For crying out loud this is the British Army, Lets keep it that way. We talk about keeping our Regiments because of tradition and sudenley some tw@ wants to wear his Nimagan Marches Medal, I say no.

15. Dont approve of the SFOR medal being worn then? Tell your Adjt in the morning. :wink: