Wearing of Crucifixes or Crosses.....

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Negligent-Discharge, Apr 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

So another employer is being taken to the European Court of Human Rights by two ladies. They were told by their employer that they couldn't wear a Cross at work in case they intimidated others. Bring out the Outrage Bus NOW!

We pander to others in this country yet get told off for wearing a Cross. Can you imagine the hoo-hah if we told our Sikh buddies not to wear a thingy on their heads, carry a dagger or have that bangle round their wrist... let alone a burkha, towel on their heads (or whatever they're called) or telling them to cut off their beards on H&S or Hygiene rules...

I may write guff on Arrse and know that my occasional use of colourful language is in contradiction of my Faith, but a sandal wearing vegetarian Guardian reading do-gooder won't stop me from wearing my Cross. Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough etc. etc.

• Like Like x 1
  2. An employer sets out dress requirements, either abide by them or dont work there. Simple at the end of the day. I hope they get told to **** off and pay back any costs.
  3. All well and good but if an employer refused to employ someone because they were wearing a turban or burkha then he would be fined. Should be the same for any symbols recognising Christianity.

Though in my view all religious people should be crucified.
    • Like Like x 13
  4. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Fair enough h301593, but you're missing the argument you numpty. It boils down to one rule for one and one for another.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. IF, the reasons for the proscription on the wearing of the cross are it may cause offence, I hope they win. The double standards flying around in this country are baffling, when the French ban on the Burkah came into force, HMG stated something to the effect that it would be, un-British to ban it. Whats British about allowing a small conspicious cross or pendant to be banned? Im more of a Pagan if pushed, but whats good for the Goose........etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Shami Chakrabarti of Liberty seems to strike the correct tone as far as I can tell.

I'd agree with that for all that I agree with Fally regarding religion as a concept.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. As much as I consider myself on the right, I find myself agreeing with Miss Chakrabati more often than not.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. So very true, even though I live in a secular country where the state is not interested in my beliefs, I am Pagan/Catholic by the way. Nobody but nobody would dare forbid me from wearing my Celtic Cross.

Celtic Cross.jpg

A person's beliefs are their own affair, no-one should interfere. Employing, as my family does, over 3,000 people never once have we questioned an employee's right to wear any religious artifact - it DOES NOT happen, we do not discriminate against any race, creed or colour..Those that make such rules regarding religious artifacts do so out of fear and intolerence, to such people I say, the fear is of your own making!!

For my part, I have known my "God" since the time I woke up in my body, around the age of four. And by that, I mean the first realization that I am speck of dust, a speck in time, I am eternal, ever shifting, ever transforming. The moment I had that realization, I knew my "God". And never ………… for one moment…… have I doubted that. Because for every negative that happens in my life, and that includes fearful people insulting me, makes me stronger, makes my mettle …………. that much more impenetrable.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Agreed, as a French national you do have the right to wear anything that can be turned into a white flag at any time.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ironically, Sikhs and for that matter most other faiths don't have a problem with Christians wearing a cross! As far as I can see it's mostly liberal democrats that object.

I'm a Catholic married to a Buddhist - seems to work out all right as long as I do as I'm told!

11. Quite cute too.......Mind you, being called cute on ARRSE would probably wind her up something dreadfull!

She does talk an awful lot of sense though.
  12. I understand where you're coming from, but you need to distinguish things like liberalism and authoritarianism from their position on the political spectrum. She's liberal and probably anti-authoritarian, but not left wing (at least professionally).
  13. Pagan catholic ? How dose that work ?
  14. This one may be a little contentious:

• Like Like x 2