wearing miniature medals on number two dress

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by solar_powered, Oct 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i'm new to arrse so be gentle with me.
    could anyone tell me if there is any written rule about wearing miniature medals on number two dress
    reason being after my nan passed away i was given my grandads miniatures and i would really like to wear them this rememberance parade. i've been told i can only wear my grandads full size medals but the problem there is that they are in the yorkshire in a regimental museum (green howards)

2. You should be able to get full sized replicas made. As you will be aware, you will have to wear them on the opposite side to your own medals. Minitures on 2's is a no no I think.

(BTW, unless your nan flogged his gongs to the museum-doubtful, your family will still actually own them)

(Ask MDN for a good place for replicas. He got all of his made for his re enactment society)
    [​IMG]

3. Bigbury mint 01548 830717

Where I got mine....

4. You have to wear full size on your right side. But you may have to remount them as they have to be in reverse order. ie most senior medal on the right as you look at them.

5. They DO NOT have to be remounted, you can wear them as they were worn, but as correctly pointed out on the right hand side of the chest.

You may wish to check if you are entitled to wear them. The convention is for the NOK to wear them - in this case your nan is entitled to wear them. I'm sure no one is giong to be too **** about it, but there may be some chippy anorak there on the day who may pass comment - be prepared with a witty put down and you should be okay. The miniatures are definitely a no-no.

6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

There is no legal right to wear some one elses medals. It has become accepted practise of NOK's (& other relatives) to wear medals on the right at Armistice Day Parades etc. As this is accepted practise there are no rules as such, therefore you would be just as correct in wearing miniatures as wearing full size. As the mini's belonged to your Grandand I would say stick to them.

You mentioned No2 dress - You may not wear someone elses medals in uniform! If you want to take them on parade keep them in your pocket, and show them to people in the bar afterwards.

7. Reality check: how do you think your fellow soldiers are going to react should they see you wearing somebody elses' medals?

You'd be ripped apart matey.

8. only decorations not campaign medals that were your fathers can be worn on no2 dress providing father is not still alive of course. worn on right breast level with yours on left breast. in civvies generally accepted to be worn at remembrance sunday parade by nok. should not be problem unless some jobsworth muppet has a go. then tell them to eat sh++++te. ps i wear my late fathers ww2 medals on remembrance sunday anybody got probs with that go boil your head.

9. only decorations not campaign medals that were your fathers can be worn on no2 dress providing father is not still alive of course. worn on right breast level with yours on left breast. in civvies generally accepted to be worn at remembrance sunday parade by nok. should not be problem unless some jobsworth muppet has a go. then tell them to eat sh++++te. ps i wear my late fathers ww2 medals on remembrance sunday anybody got probs with that go boil your head.

10. Few pints, CrazyWilly.

- You have not said if you wear them on uniform, or even if you are a serving sldier. This is a big point.
    - The medals in question are his GRANDFATHERS.

11. BuggerAll

I can tell you absolutly definativly that you may not wear anybody elses medals in uniform - regardless of your relationship to that person. The rules do not allow you to wear them in civvies - but it has become accepted practise for them to be worn on the right. As there are no rules it matters not what your relationship was.

If you are still in doubt consult your RSM or Adjt.

See also: http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=14034.html

12. Dear Solar Powered,

Dissappointingly, SKNN is correct in his uneccessarily overpowering manner! I say just do it - it's going to be a harsh RSM/Adjt that forces you to remove them under the circumstances. If however you are going to your local remembrance service with no official military presence, then definately wear them - with the pride and dignity that they deserve! Good luck colleague!

13. BuggerAll

I'm not trying to be overpowering - I was just trying to cut through some of the urban myth stuff that is being said in this thread. I am very much in favour medals being worn by legit relatives etc to comemorate the deeds of thier ancestors.

I don't think it would be possible to draw up rules that would allow them to be worn in uniform. There are too many variables. Who's medals would you be allowed to wear? Mum/Dad, uncle/aunt, cousins, the old boy down the pub who left his medals to you becasue you showed an interest and respected what he had done. Would you be allowed to wear 2 or more sets - Mum and Dads?

If you are on parade in uniform the best thing would be to have the medals in your pocket, or if you have relative watching the parade have them wear them. You can take them out in the bar or at the legion later.

14. In days past when I was still a monkey, if I saw you wearing a second set of medals in uniform or wearing miniture medals in No 2 dress we would be having a discussion which would involve me advising you to remove them, if necessay ordering you to remove them, or ultimately arresting you.

If you think this is a bit severe, have a word with your RSM. He will give you all the advice you need in no uncertain terms.

Sknn is correct - best place for Dad's medals are in the pocket.

15. With regards to NOK wearing deceased relatives medals, I would like my son to wear my grandfathers medals on remembrance sunday, is it only campaign medals he wears? we're talking about a MBE,Defence medal 1939-45 medal,lsgc and msm?