Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wearing military clothes by civilians - for outdoor activities

arcticfox042

War Hero
Have a look on amazon/ebay for a Hi Vis waistcoat. A couple of quid will get you something to strap over your backpack.
Yeah you wont look like a walt on selection if you do.................
Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 21.18.23.png

The Spanish Legion uniform has been described as 'homoerotic'.....................they were supposedly deployed during the pandemic. Observers in NY said "send them here".....civies will be queuing up.

1611445557568.png

Jammy66

War Hero
Army surplus gear is great, hard wearing and good quality. Worn selectively it's fine. Also a big trade in it for the military show people and re-enactors.

I have an old dpm goretex jacket I use for dogwalking in the cold and wet, it has enough pockets for what I need and keeps me dry enough until the faithful hound decides he's had enough and wants to go home. I did wear it to work one did during a somewhat prolonged and persistent deluge, got stopped crossing the car park by a senior NCO (I work in a dual civvy/military establishment, not in the UK but with similar ideals) who demanded to know why I was wearing that and where I got it from. My response was to point to the sky and the fact I was still dry, and that I "must have forgotten to hand it back to the nice man in stores". He was going to have words until someone pointed out it wasn't the same pattern as the stuff they were issued.

I will admit to having purchased a couple of French Norwegian shirts (bit of a contradition but you know what I mean) for a fiver each from a surplus store last time I was in the UK, brand new unissued and they some in handy working in the garden in the cooler periods. I was looking for some dark blue RAF working shirts but they didn't have them in stock at the time, they were really comfortable and managed to hide most of the oil and grease stains.

As I also like a bit of photography I was looking at picking up one of the vest/pouches combinations, I can pad out the pouches a bit to carry lenses but around here they not selling the pukka surplus stuff, just the "looks like but with cheaper materials" and I don't trrust them as much.

Last edited:

Daz

LE
I have an old dpm goretex jacket I use for dogwalking in the cold and wet, it has enough pockets for what I need and keeps me dry enough until the faithful hound decides he's had enough and wants to go home. I did wear it to work one did during a somewhat prolonged and persistent deluge, got stopped crossing the car park by a senior NCO (I work in a dual civvy/military establishment, not in the UK but with similar ideals) who demanded to know why I was wearing that and where I got it from. My response was to point to the sky and the fact I was still dry, and that I "must have forgotten to hand it back to the nice man in stores". He was going to have words until someone pointed out it wasn't the same pattern as the stuff they were issued.

I will admit to having purchased a couple of French Norwegian shirts (bit of a contradition but you know what I mean) for a fiver each from a surplus store last time I was in the UK, brand new unissued and they some in handy working in the garden in the cooler periods. I was looking for some dark blue RAF working shirts but they didn't have them in stock at the time, they were really comfortable and managed to hide most of the oil and grease stains.

As I also like a bit of photography I was looking at picking up one of the vest/pouches combinations, I can pad out the pouches a bit to carry lenses but around here they not selling the pukka surplus stuff, just the "looks like but with cheaper materials" and I don't trrust them as much.
Most of the pouches are a bit small for the camera, however, the respirator pouch can carry a DSLR and two Sony Nex 3 with room to spare

If we are out walking she has a black waterproof with reflective bits on it and I wear a DPM windproof with beige coloured walking trousers.
Little daysack with bivvy bag, first aid kit, torch and a whistle and some chocolate in it.

Most of the pouches are a bit small for the camera, however, the respirator pouch can carry a DSLR and two Sony Nex 3 with room to spare

I used to carry my camera in a respirator pouch.

I always ensured I could get it out and be ready to snap within 9 seconds.

Be In Time. Phots in 9.

RPD magazine pouches are handy for reels for fly fishing. Got a couple of centre spools with various line types I can change quickly if needed and the pouches are the perfect size for them.

Good cheap stuff generally worn in bits not as an outfit usually scuffing around farms fixing or building stuff or hunting. Don't expect to meet many people. I can use it as I've never served due to joining the air farce. (sac rtd)

Union Jack

Old-Salt
I stepped off the plane in Barbados wearing a rather fetching pair of military style cargo shorts.

I laughed when the customs/immigration fellow told me I couldn't leave the airport until I changed out of them.

Mr customs didn't laugh though, he was serious as a big black serious thing.

Apparently any form of camo kit is verboten, regardless of how on trend it may (or not) be.
Like wot he sed, in this extract from advice for those applying for the "Barbados Welcome Stamp", available to those wishing to work from home, for an initial 12 month period, in the Windies rather than the UK because of the pandemic:

9. An unexpected banned item…​

This is a surprise to many new visitors, but wearing army camouflage in Barbados could land you in hot water. If you're a fan you might want to leave it in the wardrobe. Only the Barbados Defence Force can wear camouflage, and if you are caught, you could be arrested.

Should discourage the Walts!

Jack

HE117

LE
An improvement of shirts scratchy - no doubt about it.

Shooting at Bisley put me off wearing anything combat for life - loads of old fat lads in MTP and they just look daft. I get all embarrassed for them.
I think all the volumes of the "Bisley Bible" have paragraphs about not wearing uniform unless in the military.. Odd bits of mil kit are OK, but not "full ensemble" and certainly not wearing badges or ranks..

That said we have a couple of "Mountain Men" who turn up each year to shoot their Sharps at long distances.. Full leathers with dangly bits, 45.46 Litre hats, pointy boots and spurs! It would be even better if they could actually hit the Buffalo.. we have had the same target frame for years!

The only bit of Mil kit I tend to wear on the range is my dessie hat as it fits under my cans and stops the bald patch getting fried..!

Like wot he sed, in this extract from advice for those applying for the "Barbados Welcome Stamp", available to those wishing to work from home, for an initial 12 month period, in the Windies rather than the UK because of the pandemic:

9. An unexpected banned item…​

This is a surprise to many new visitors, but wearing army camouflage in Barbados could land you in hot water. If you're a fan you might want to leave it in the wardrobe. Only the Barbados Defence Force can wear camouflage, and if you are caught, you could be arrested.

Should discourage the Walts!

Jack
Same in Kenya, I believe.

Latest Threads