Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wearing military clothes by civilians - for outdoor activities

Not sure I'd ever wear the MTP out shooting or walking as it's a bit shit... I do have a vintage DPM jacket somewhere though which probably wouldn't look too walty...
I still wear my norwegian shirt(s) though of cvourse they're not an outer layer, I wonder if I've still got a chinese fighting suite somwhere?
Norwegians are not quite in the same class as dressing up in MTP. DPM smock - yep that's retro and for dog walking and the likes, I think its fine, but I'm not sure I'd wear one - old fart in combat jacket? Not a good look......

I've still got two Norwegians. Not in the best of shape, but I cant bring myself to chuck them out. I never wear them though as lightweight fleeces are ace bits of kit. Modern materials are the dogs.

Arse_Bandit

Old-Salt
Norwegians are not quite in the same class as dressing up in MTP. DPM smock - yep that's retro and for dog walking and the likes, I think its fine, but I'm not sure I'd wear one - old fart in combat jacket? Not a good look......

I've still got two Norwegians. Not in the best of shape, but I cant bring myself to chuck them out. I never wear them though as lightweight fleeces are ace bits of kit. Modern materials are the dogs.
I guess you're right, i quite like the nostalgia of the Norgy though, I was so happy to get my first ones and not be wearing the shirts hairy carpet... I reckon I can rock old fart in a combat jacket, I'll probably look more like a fat farmer than an ex squaddy though... aar...

I guess you're right, i quite like the nostalgia of the Norgy though, I was so happy to get my first ones and not be wearing the shirts hairy carpet... I reckon I can rock old fart in a combat jacket, I'll probably look more like a fat farmer than an ex squaddy though... aar...

An improvement of shirts scratchy - no doubt about it.

Shooting at Bisley put me off wearing anything combat for life - loads of old fat lads in MTP and they just look daft. I get all embarrassed for them.

Arse_Bandit

Old-Salt
An improvement of shirts scratchy - no doubt about it.

Shooting at Bisley put me off wearing anything combat for life - loads of old fat lads in MTP and they just look daft. I get all embarrassed for them.
I'd never wear uniform items for shooting, mainly because in the practical shooting circles it's big verboten (unless you're representing the military of course), I'd maybe consider the old DPM for a wander walking up, but I've got better civvy kit for that anyway... my issue Danners have finally died and my issue Altbergs were never very comfortable and all my other kit would just scream walt so would never wear it... I doubt any of my DPM will fit, there's a 5 stone difference since the 35 years since I got it ;-)

I'd never wear uniform items for shooting, mainly because in the practical shooting circles it's big verboten (unless you're representing the military of course), I'd maybe consider the old DPM for a wander walking up, but I've got better civvy kit for that anyway... my issue Danners have finally died and my issue Altbergs were never very comfortable and all my other kit would just scream walt so would never wear it... I doubt any of my DPM will fit, there's a 5 stone difference since the 35 years since I got it ;-)

I completely agree. One of the lads in our club turned out in MTP pants, jacket and some very strange camo gloves, which in an inexplicable way were really quite horny as the last time I saw something very similar was on a young lady in Fit Birds in Uniform. Moving on quickly.... He had civvie boots on, was about 16 stones and for a lad of 5'10 max, it was not good on any level. Worse to come was it was a 100m range..... and he's a crap shot.

Daz

LE
So, wandering around in Boots DMS is a no, no then??

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
noddy suits an DPM were great for grafting on building sites before I got an office job after that they didint go down to well in the accounts dept.

Mrs Slocombe

Old-Salt
Is the current issue kit insect repellent? Because that would be good.
Is it infra-red blocking? That might be bad if the MRT are looking for you.

I have to say that with the move away from DPM. MTP and digital camo hasn’t transferred across to civilians as it used to.
I remember a splendid photo of troops returning home from Telic 1 and being met by their families as they debussed. There was a middle aged officer (at a guess LE) dressed in temperate DPM, being enthusiastically hugged by his style conscious 15 year old daughter who was wearing desert camouflage trousers. As I and my colleagues commented, that explains the shortage of deserts available for issue...

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

I've got a couple of merino wool tops - one from Smartwool, the other I bought from Armadillo Merino courtesy of an ARRSE 10 percent discount.

Both are cut with with a zip neck. Not a rolled zip neck like a Norwegian but high enough to give warmth.

Both are very comfortable next to the skin, even when sweating (I can't wear normal wool next to the skin), and - crucially - they still insulate when wet, don't get ridiculously heavy with moisture, and dry far more quickly than cotton.

I'd only wear a Norwegian now to sit around the house in but that's about it. Merino is hardly a modern material but it's now far more accessible in terms of being able to get hold of it and in terms of price.

DSJ

LE
My issue green fleece is going strong other than a couple of moth holes in the cuffs, and I think I have about one more winters use out of my black gloves before they disintegrate. A few pairs of socks and that's about it. Anything DPM (a smock and a jacket) are in drawers somewhere.

I wore my old DPM jacket whilst riding a motorbike, it’s older than my kids.
When I fell off and broke both my arms, I cried. Not (just) because of the pain but because the nurses cut my jacket off. I wanted to take it off but they wouldn’t let me.

And there we have it in a nutshell; the reason why I stopped wearing mine.

I've still got a windproof I use when I'm out hunting but I'd never wear it into town.

Is using military clothes by civilians illegal in the UK? I see, there are a lot of shops in the UK which sell military clothes. I've just came to the UK, so due to the lockdown I don't see many people on streets. In fact, I haven't seen anyone wearing such clothes. Perhaps, except just 1 person in a shop, who was an immigrant, too.

I want to use it mostly for mountain hiking or country trips. I will not wear any badges or insignia of any kind, of course. Besides jacket (MTP) and pants (DPM) I will use other civil clothes like hat or trekking shoes. So, I suppose, I am not going to impersonate a soldier.

In Poland impersonating a soldier is illegal, too. However, a lot of people wear military clothes. Usually, just pants or just jacket. But often both. Usually for outdoor activities, paintball or similar. No badges or insignia of any kind is allowed, of course.

As a anecdote I can say, I remember that I was once surprised on Hungarian-Romanian border few years ago when asked by a military guard "do you have any weapons", when I was wearing military pants.

Some people made an absolute fortune flogging military clothing to civvie.

Dont worry about people complaining about hiking and wearing camouflaged clothing, the army also issue lumi belts.

I remember a splendid photo of troops returning home from Telic 1 and being met by their families as they debussed. There was a middle aged officer (at a guess LE) dressed in temperate DPM, being enthusiastically hugged by his style conscious 15 year old daughter who was wearing desert camouflage trousers. As I and my colleagues commented, that explains the shortage of deserts available for issue...

That was just a shit supply chain.

Latest Threads