Wearing military clothes by civilians - for outdoor activities

Teeblerone

War Hero
I often have a medkit in my backpack. It contains a space blanket. Probably, a bit better than a survival bag.

For sitting, I have a small mattress (something like 12x16 inches; 30x40 cm). It has a waterproof bottom so no problem when sitting on a wet stone. I cut it from a bigger sleeping mattress.
Good work!
(those silver space blankets are fine, but they can rip easily. No harm in having both! The advantages of the orange one are: they are 2metres+ long, you can crawl inside for shelter and they are a big shape of bright orange to be seen)

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
It's no heavier than civvy gortex as it is a shell jacket ergo unlined. My new work civvie Gortex costs over £500 :)

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I generally wear brighter colours when out walking for safety reasons but I totally get the utility of combat gear.

I have a Musto field jacket in olive green. It's like a smock but also has a drop liner in fleece. Lots of pockets, lots of room, able to carry lots in it but also get lots of layers under it - sound familiar?

Even then, though, I only bought the olive green because they didn't have my size in navy (I bought it at MrArthur Glen near York for an absolute song).

The camouflage issue in some countries is twofold: mercenaries; and it can get the peaceable innocent shot.

Teeblerone

War Hero
It's no heavier than civvy gortex as it is a shell jacket ergo unlined. My new work civvie Gortex costs over £500 :)
I should have said, the one I had was an older Dutch army jacket.

My hiking waterproof for a good few years was an ex-police fluoro yellow motorbike jacket. Lined, but maybe Sympatex rather than Goretex

Still have my Goretex waterproofs. They come in very handy when I'm in amongst the muck and clarts on the canal and it's pissing it down. Have to wear a hi-vis anyway when I'm doing canal stuff so I'll be easy to spot when I'm floating face-down.

I don't give a **** about your risk, I give a **** about those that have to spend ten times longer looking for you when you **** things up.

Attachments

• 8dd81bc3a3ae02c2585e9f46b450d879.jpg
    8dd81bc3a3ae02c2585e9f46b450d879.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 144

Ayatollah

Old-Salt
Back in the '60s the MOD's wore dress uniforms and rode scooters, the only law was they could not have the original buttons on the tunic. Even after WW1 and 2 battle dress was a cheap popular work attire as everyday clothing because of accessibility affordability and durability. That was also the time when Jeans were starting to be accepted as an everyday dress code pushing formal wear into fashions archives.

I don't give a **** about your risk, I give a **** about those that have to spend ten times longer looking for you when you **** things up.

Those looking for him better pull their fingers out, then.

You're in your own time now.

The sooner you finish, the sooner you knock off.

Daz

LE
Gortex DPM waterproofs are cheap as chips but I dont think I'd want to walk the hounds in them because of the throbber effect, so I generally get piss wet through in my old North Face jacket when it tips down or the barbour which leaks like a sieve.

I think the only people that should wear combat kit are serving soldiers personally as everyone else looks daft as fcuk.

Edited to add - I slipped over in the piss wet mud today and fell on my arrse so the North Face jacket and pants are covered in bloody mud.

Just off to buy some DPM gortex.......
I wear this natty little number while out taking photos in the wilds of Wales, cost me a fiver off Fleabay, better that camera bags which bounce and bang around and keep getting in the way as I stagger around
$_57.jpeg

I go salt water lure fishing, I have a pair of shimano tribal realtree trousers I wear occasionally just because they are weatherproof and very breathable and comfortable.

Some bastard accused me of walting it up as a carp angler.....on Chesil.

Daz

LE
Do you put foliage in the loops when you're under people's windows whilst taking photos?
Only if she's fit and naked and the long telephotos packed up :)

Those looking for him better pull their fingers out, then.

You're in your own time now.

The sooner you finish, the sooner you knock off.
Always in our own time.

We love it when the Police kindly remind us of when they tick into overtime.

Is using military clothes by civilians illegal in the UK? I see, there are a lot of shops in the UK which sell military clothes. I've just came to the UK, so due to the lockdown I don't see many people on streets. In fact, I haven't seen anyone wearing such clothes. Perhaps, except just 1 person in a shop, who was an immigrant, too.

I want to use it mostly for mountain hiking or country trips. I will not wear any badges or insignia of any kind, of course. Besides jacket (MTP) and pants (DPM) I will use other civil clothes like hat or trekking shoes. So, I suppose, I am not going to impersonate a soldier.

In Poland impersonating a soldier is illegal, too. However, a lot of people wear military clothes. Usually, just pants or just jacket. But often both. Usually for outdoor activities, paintball or similar. No badges or insignia of any kind is allowed, of course.

As a anecdote I can say, I remember that I was once surprised on Hungarian-Romanian border few years ago when asked by a military guard "do you have any weapons", when I was wearing military pants.
Don't you think you have left it a bit late to try and get Settled Status? Do you think you will get it or be one of the first on a Boris Bus back to Poland come August?

Arse_Bandit

Old-Salt
Not sure I'd ever wear the MTP out shooting or walking as it's a bit shit... I do have a vintage DPM jacket somewhere though which probably wouldn't look too walty...
I still wear my norwegian shirt(s) though of cvourse they're not an outer layer, I wonder if I've still got a chinese fighting suite somwhere?

Daz

LE
Not sure I'd ever wear the MTP out shooting or walking as it's a bit shit... I do have a vintage DPM jacket somewhere though which probably wouldn't look too walty...
I still wear my norwegian shirt(s) though of cvourse they're not an outer layer, I wonder if I've still got a chinese fighting suite somwhere?
It depends on if its shrunk or not over the years

Latest Threads