Wearing military clothes by civilians - for outdoor activities

> like a walting throbber
This is exactly, why I don't wear such clothes in towns. Just when hiking. Usually, not many people on trails, so nobody cares. But I am in a foreign country, so I preferred to ask.

Like AfghanAndy said, military clothes are very comfortable, durable, very good quality and cheap. At this time, I don't have money to buy real hiking clothes. And frankly speaking, thanks to military clothes, I haven't felt need for such for a long time.

@loofkar
I had online shops in my mind.

@Legs and @AsterixTG
A good point. But I will take my risk.

Thank you very much for all your answers!

Some of it is useful, but there are better options if you don't mind spending a few quid on civvy kit. Couple of niche pieces don't seem to have civvy equivalents though.

QRK2

LE
If someone is entirely kitted out in issue field kit, worn as per regulations, the one thing that is certain is that they are not a serving soldier.

I deliberately walk into scruffy civi's* wearing combats.

Sorry Mate I did not see you is my normal response if they whinge.

*Ex Squaddies are exempt after I deliberately walked into a long haired Ex Para who got a bit punchy.

Last edited:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I don't give a **** about your risk, I give a **** about those that have to spend ten times longer looking for you when you **** things up.

if everyone goes hiking with one of these
1611071691944.png

and an emergency one of these

1611071738824.png

with a length of this

1611071773924.png

then they'll be easy to find, assuming they tie the 'marking balloon' to themselves

@AsterixTG
There are a lot of hiking clothes made of dark fabric. The only difference is they have some reflective stripes. Like I wrote before, I always wear some civilian clothes (and a backpack) so they have some of them, too. I also always take a headlamp when I go hiking. Even, if it is just a hike during a daylight. But perhaps, it would be a good idea to add some additional reflective material to my clothes.

Last edited:
If you want to look like action man wear your dpm or whatever , if you want issue clothing like waterproofs because you think they’re more durable and cheap, buy RAF or RN in solid colours.

@AsterixTG
There are a lot of hiking clothes made of dark fabric. The only difference is they have some reflective stripes. Like I wrote before, I always wear some civilian clothes (and a backpack) so they have some of them, too. I also always take a headlamp when I go hiking. Even, if it is just a hiking during a daylight. But perhaps, it would be a good idea to add some additional reflective material to my clothes.
Have a look on amazon/ebay for a Hi Vis waistcoat. A couple of quid will get you something to strap over your backpack.

I stepped off the plane in Barbados wearing a rather fetching pair of military style cargo shorts.

I laughed when the customs/immigration fellow told me I couldn't leave the airport until I changed out of them.

Mr customs didn't laugh though, he was serious as a big black serious thing.

Apparently any form of camo kit is verboten, regardless of how on trend it may (or not) be.

Back in the day, Palladium boots became very popular in Israel. Their equivalent, which was eventually manufactured in Israel, had an H design on the heel cleats rather than the diamond shape heel cleats of Palladiums. This was for the benefit of the IDF's Bedouin scouts, because in addition to being popular in the Israeli civilian market, Palladium was the standard footwear of PLO fighters infiltrating the borders.

I should not say where I was working yesterday, so I won't. But I saw a Doctor with a mid-length skirt in DPM. I was so tempted to tell her I could give her the top half. But we might have been kicked off-site

Back in the day, Palladium boots became very popular in Israel. Their equivalent, which was eventually manufactured in Israel, had an H design on the heel cleats rather than the diamond shape heel cleats of Palladiums. This was for the benefit of the IDF's Bedouin scouts, because in addition to being popular in the Israeli civilian market, Palladium was the standard footwear of PLO fighters infiltrating the borders.

An old friend was telling me years ago how his gang had a freebie batch of Danner boots made up for their nightly shenanigans in rural Ulster.

Brown nubuck leather to cut a dash in the fashion stakes and welly boot pattern tread to help resolve the inevitable groundsign issues.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Army issue Gortex is great. Hard wearing, cheap and comes in fancy colours so the pigeons don't spot you until the shotgun goes bang :)

@shiny_arrse
I think to buy a backpack reflective raincover and some additional reflective stripes for my backpack (if it is not raining at the moment) and perhaps for a jacket and pants.

Thanks again for all the great answers and stories!

Teeblerone

War Hero
@AsterixTG
There are a lot of hiking clothes made of dark fabric. The only difference is they have some reflective stripes. Like I wrote before, I always wear some civilian clothes (and a backpack) so they have some of them, too. I also always take a headlamp when I go hiking. Even, if it is just a hike during a daylight. But perhaps, it would be a good idea to add some additional reflective material to my clothes.
Almost every time I go out, I have a 'survival bag' - a big orange plastic sack. thick plastic, like a builders rubble sack. Less than £5. takes up very little room and you can sit on it (while still folded up*)
This one looks more lightweight www.blacks.co.uk/15981458/eurohike-survival-bag-15981458
this one a bit more heavy-duty Survival Bag | Lifesystems
I dare say decathlon, sports direct have them too.

* serious point. make sure it can't slide away! Tie some string round it.

I often have a medkit in my backpack. It contains a space blanket. Probably, a bit better than a survival bag.

For sitting, I have a small mattress (something like 12x16 inches; 30x40 cm). It has a waterproof bottom so no problem when sitting on a wet stone. I cut it from a bigger sleeping mattress.

Teeblerone

War Hero
Army issue Gortex is great. Hard wearing, cheap and comes in fancy colours so the pigeons don't spot you until the shotgun goes bang :)
Hard wearing, cheap, but (relatively!) heavy, especially if you're walking more than standing. Civvy stuff has pit zips, nicer hoods, pockets. But probably 4 times the price.
Edit to add - I would love to have had army Goretex when I was a lad!

Gortex DPM waterproofs are cheap as chips but I dont think I'd want to walk the hounds in them because of the throbber effect, so I generally get piss wet through in my old North Face jacket when it tips down or the barbour which leaks like a sieve.

I think the only people that should wear combat kit are serving soldiers personally as everyone else looks daft as fcuk.

Edited to add - I slipped over in the piss wet mud today and fell on my arrse so the North Face jacket and pants are covered in bloody mud.

Just off to buy some DPM gortex.......

Latest Threads