Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wearing military clothes by civilians - for outdoor activities

cvj234

Crow
Is using military clothes by civilians illegal in the UK? I see, there are a lot of shops in the UK which sell military clothes. I've just came to the UK, so due to the lockdown I don't see many people on streets. In fact, I haven't seen anyone wearing such clothes. Perhaps, except just 1 person in a shop, who was an immigrant, too.

I want to use it mostly for mountain hiking or country trips. I will not wear any badges or insignia of any kind, of course. Besides jacket (MTP) and pants (DPM) I will use other civil clothes like hat or trekking shoes. So, I suppose, I am not going to impersonate a soldier.

In Poland impersonating a soldier is illegal, too. However, a lot of people wear military clothes. Usually, just pants or just jacket. But often both. Usually for outdoor activities, paintball or similar. No badges or insignia of any kind is allowed, of course.

As a anecdote I can say, I remember that I was once surprised on Hungarian-Romanian border few years ago when asked by a military guard "do you have any weapons", when I was wearing military pants.

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
It's good kit for the outdoors hence it's popularity. Not illegal to wear but you will look like a walting throbber if you're dressed head to toe in it though

Is using military clothes by civilians illegal in the UK? I see, there are a lot of shops in the UK which sell military clothes. I've just came to the UK, so due to the lockdown I don't see many people on streets. In fact, I haven't seen anyone wearing such clothes. Perhaps, except just 1 person in a shop, who was an immigrant, too.

I want to use it mostly for mountain hiking or country trips. I will not wear any badges or insignia of any kind, of course. Besides jacket (MTP) and pants (DPM) I will use other civil clothes like hat or trekking shoes. So, I suppose, I am not going to impersonate a soldier.

In Poland impersonating a soldier is illegal, too. However, a lot of people wear military clothes. Usually, just pants or just jacket. But often both. Usually for outdoor activities, paintball or similar. No badges or insignia of any kind is allowed, of course.

As a anecdote I can say, I remember that I was once surprised on Hungarian-Romanian border few years ago when asked by a military guard "do you have any weapons", when I was wearing military pants.
That just goes to show how effective the camouflage is.

Given that you can buy most items of military apparel on the open market, frankly one can cut about in what ever one wants...... within reason:
Uniforms Act 1894

Not illegal.

Google Army and Navy Stores near me. They sell new or nearly new military kit for cadets, reserves, members of the public etc. But are also quite good for work wear.

Some people wear military surplus clothing for a variety of reasons. It’s generally warm and durable and quite cheap.( I always found military clothing as good as high end hiking gear)

I tend to find though that those who served try not to wear it. I have an old pair of desert DPM that I use for decorating but won’t wear it outside if I need to get something. It’s just me being a bit sled conscious though.

Camouflage clothing however is reasonably trendy sometimes. You’ll probably notice that not many civilians are wearing ex military clothing. Just stuff designed to look like it. Although a work colleague of mine did turn upto work in a Superdrug pair of combats that have been modelled on german digital.

I have to say that with the move away from DPM. MTP and digital camo hasn’t transferred across to civilians as it used to.

Don't worry about it. If challenged, just point-out that members of the Royal Family have done it for generations.

I used to love my DPM jacket; its pockets had a very useful carrying capacity and its overall quality beyond any piece of civilian clothing I could afford.
I was once threatened with arrest by some TA member for "impersonating a private soldier", this charade ending when I asked "Which regiment, then, wears brown trousers and suede boots?".
I still have it, but unworn for years.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
See this smart young man wearing colourful attire for a stroll through Brixton. Nicely shaded from the sun and looking comfortable.

1611067539050.png

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
What they ^ have all said. However, is wearing something designed to make you really, really hard to see a good idea if you're hiking in the mountains? Just imagine you fall/slip/collapse etc. How will any rescuers spot you?

I've quite a collection of stuff handed down to me by my son, which I use for garden work or fettling the cars, but within my home arena. Sweaters, woollens, trousers.
Don't go out in public with any of it...somehow would not feel right since I've never served and don't feel entitled.
Especially since in my locale, there's a lot of guys who know me and him.
Pity, there's a couple of R.M.P. navy jackets which are excellent.
Perhaps a bit odd to some eyes..but that's just me. Simply would not feel easy.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The old Drawers Cellular wore out years ago but Norwegian shirts and fleece doing well

Last edited:
Please don't wear MTP/DPM/Camo gear when hiking.

I used to love my DPM jacket; its pockets had a very useful carrying capacity and its overall quality beyond any piece of civilian clothing I could afford.
I was once threatened with arrest by some TA member for "impersonating a private soldier", this charade ending when I asked "Which regiment, then, wears brown trousers and suede boots?".
I still have it, but unworn for years.
The irony of some STAB cúnt calling someone out for walting...

If you desperately want to look a total cnut.....

Latest Threads