Wearing Medals on CS95

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Dodgy-Engr, Nov 2, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Rememberance Sunday is on the way and as usual conflicting guidance on whether or not wearing medals on CS95 is the done thing! :?: Can anyone shed any light on this matter??

2. Technically shouldn't be done... take your lead from your CO or RSM.

3. Ive always been been told its a no no, and everyone has been told in my unit dont put em on cause you'll be taking them off! but I did see a RGJ wearing his after he had it presented to him.

4. i wont need to find out for a few years yet im still waiting for my telic 1 medal

5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I got permission from the CO to do this last year. We don't have No2 dress, so it's that or NEVER get to wear them!

In the event, we didn't have them anyway, so the problem never arose.

We still haven't got them.....

6. We've got 2's, but no-ones sure if we can wear them, or if it'll be seniors only with the rest of us in 95's (with medals if we have them).

Commonality accross the TA? Me thinks not.

7. As only seniors and above are entitled to No 2's, many TA units allow medals to be worn on CS95 for Remembrance Sunday parades, and why not, if they are dedicated enough to go orf to war, they should be allowed to show off their shiny medals, if they ever get them that is...

8. What are dress no's 3,4,6,8,10 & 11? :?

9. Not sure on all but:

3 = Barrack Dress
    6 = Tropical
    8 = Working

10. Isn't C95 Uniform No 9 ?

11. Okay the prudent point here is on para 16 page 4 where its says medals are NOT worn on operation or protective clothing, last time i looked C95 was operational, soooooooo.....no dingly danglies on DPM Im afraid.....Generally.... No2's or No1's only

12. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

So, we Officers can wear them, but my Soldiers cannot. Great, really retention-positive (mind you, as very few Officers are getting mobilised, this may stop some embarrassment).

Another pathetic piece of reasoning, based on a system that is far, far behind what is happening in the real world. We just DO NOT HAVE anything other than 'operational clothing'.

Well, at least it puts the delay in issuing medals into perspective. What's the point? You may as well issue a £5 M&S voucher. At least you could use that.

13. No 1 Dress - Temperate Ceremonial Dress
    No 2 Dress - Temperate Parade Dress (Service Dress)
    No 3 Dress - Warm Weather Ceremonial Dress
    No 4 Dress - Warm Weather Parade Dress For Officers
    No 5 Dress - Desert Combat Dress
    No 6 Dress - Warm Weather Parade Dress For ORs (Bush Jacket)
    No 7 Dress - Warm Weather Working Dress
    No 8 Dress - Combat Dress (CS 95)
    No 9 Dress - Tropical Combat Dress (Superseded by No 8 Dress)
    No 10 Dress - Temperate Mess Kit
    No 11 Dress - Tropical Mess Kit
    No 13 Dress - Temperate Working Dress
    No 14 Dress - Temperate Working Dress (Shirt-sleeve order)

14. As far as I can tell, the admin unit and the senior RSM holding the parade decides on dress and sends out his cunning plan accordingly to all participating units. It seems ludicrous to me that ex soldiers can wear their medals on civvies, whilst serving soldiers, probably on the brink off being mobilised yet again, cannot. If CS95 is all they are issued, then it stands to reason that dress regs should be amended to make allowances for this. Thoughts anyone?