Wearing Foreign Medals

Does anyone know if you are allowed to wear Foreign Medals on Remembrance Sunday?

I served in the British Army and FFL, where I received medals from both countries.

Question is can I wear my French medals at a Remembrance Sunday Service?
Have looked around on the internet but buggered if I can get a straight answer.

Daz

LE
Does anyone know if you are allowed to wear Foreign Medals on Remembrance Sunday?

I served in the British Army and FFL, where I received medals from both countries.

Question is can I wear my French medals at a Remembrance Sunday Service?
Have looked around on the internet but buggered if I can get a straight answer.
And who's going to stop you seeing as you're a civvy these days

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you have served and retired, get them mounted and wear with pride.

I worked with some FFL in Cambodia and they were ******* awesome troops.

D

Deleted 15653

We have an experienced FFL Contingent here on Arrse - ask them .
(They put in an appearance at the Cenotaph every year and are most welcomed )
The below was posted by a mate of mine who had served with various arms and services including FFL - he's now retired from the military and lives in France - his account seems dormant but here's what he said in 2019 on the subject.

I have served in many different arms (as my avatar would suggest, and friends would attest). When attending remembrance parades, as I often do, I wear whatever I choose. But, then again, I am retired - so nobody really cares :) On Monday, I will be wearing a blue blazer and grey trousers, with various bits of tin attached here and there (because I want to). I feel sorry that the OP feels that his (her) employer has a say in this matter. (But, then again, - did I mention? - I am retired).

The below was posted by a mate of mine who had served with various arms and services including FFL - he's now retired from the military and lives in France - his account seems dormant but here's what he said in 2019 on the subject.

I have served in many different arms (as my avatar would suggest, and friends would attest). When attending remembrance parades, as I often do, I wear whatever I choose. But, then again, I am retired - so nobody really cares :) On Monday, I will be wearing a blue blazer and grey trousers, with various bits of tin attached here and there (because I want to). I feel sorry that the OP feels that his (her) employer has a say in this matter. (But, then again, - did I mention? - I am retired).

I am a bit of a fan of the FFL - they mostly seem to have been fighting on the right side, always punching above their weight, have done a brilliant job in melding incredibly diverse nationalities into one fighting force.

If my life had panned out different - would have signed up for that adventure in a heartbeat.

Order of precedence might be a bugger. All the FFL ones go on a second row maybe?

Thanks to all of you, as per usual go direct to those who served and you will get a straight answer.
Good honest advice and kind words.
I will be wearing them and as devexwarrior's friend said " I am retired"
I do think they would have to go on the second row.
Again many thanks

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Thanks to all of you, as per usual go direct to those who served and you will get a straight answer.
Good honest advice and kind words.
I will be wearing them and as devexwarrior's friend said " I am retired"
I do think they would have to go on the second row.
Again many thanks
Wear them with pride. You earned them.

Whilst this does not count as you are out, iirc dress regs said something about other nations medals awarded being worn on the other side of the chest but im guesting that awards from joint ops etc

Dread

LE
Whilst this does not count as you are out, iirc dress regs said something about other nations medals awarded being worn on the other side of the chest but im guesting that awards from joint ops etc

Foreign medals issued to British soldiers are worn after all HMF medals (i.e. closest to the left shoulder, UK medals closest to the heart). Obviously this only applies to serving members of HMF, and only foreign medals approved by HM (in reality a military committee) can be worn. For retired: wear what you want, how you want.

There are one or two medals that are specifically worn on the right breast, but by tradition medals worn there are typically those of a deceased father or husband and are worn by the widow or child.

As the previous posters have said, if not gazetted then foreign awards ought to go on the right. As an example, my father has a string of military gongs (9, I think) officially awarded/gazetted via the Crown over a long career (worn on the left) and an iron cross (yes, I know, but it's the modern one) that has to go on the other side at formal RBL events.

There was an RAMC LtCol (retd) at JHQ, an RO of some flavour, who had a collection of French medals. He used to come along to my dungeon in JHQ for coffee, and to drop off the latest issues of Kepi Blanc for one of my civvy lads to thumb through.

The way he told his dit: Some time in the 1960's when a junior officer he committed some sin and was sent out of the way to the French in Baden Baden - the very loose pretext being that he was a liaison officer. He spoke school French and rapidly bought it up to a good level and was apparently enjoying himself with the French and their wine habits. Somewhere along the line as the Brits had shuffled him off and did not really give a toss as to where he was, or what he was up to, through the folks at Baden he went off to the Legion in France where he stayed until he was due to end his "attachment". He attained some level of notoriety in the Legion for something he did for them, as a result whilst he was there they presented him with a couple of medals.

In the two years I knew him he used to come along very month with the latest Kepi Blanc for my civvy lad. He used to pootle off over to France for the big functions like Camerone Day and the odd other event. When there were French star rank official visitors to the Big House the French Liaison Office used to have him tag along (as a bit of an interpreter), and he used to wear a couple of bits of French bling that he had been presented with on his blazer.

So, yeah, why not, wear your bling proudly.

Wear whatever you want. Some years I wear a 19th century bicorne, other years a pickelhaube, when in undress, I wear a straw boater with upturned brim. I only have three pucka medals, so I supplement with 25 or so from here

I am particularly proud of my "Bevin's Boys and Bar".
Being a medical type, and having spent a short time with the NHS, I will also be adding a George Cross to my rack, available on Amazon.
I generally wear them pinned to my Flanaganesque fur coat, made from discarded Coldstream Guards Busbys.

Latest Threads