Wearing Forces Charity Wrist Bands in Uniform

Hi Guys what about Forces charity wrist bands? In Cyprus a decision will be made by our RAF 1 star in Cyprus as to whether we can wear them. the guys in Afgan do, Army 4 stars do, Roylty does what's the score eh? I'm certainly for them (and I'm a monkey!). :evil:

Im serving in WSBA and our unit has been allowed to wear them!!

Personally, I think its jewelry and has no place in uniform. I'm all for the good causes but if you allow one you have to allow them all. Where does it stop? We'll end up with 20 bands on each wrist. I do have a H4H band and wear it in civvies. If we don't allow bracelets made of gold/silver in uniform why should we allow ones made of rubber?

It was done to death a while ago. General concensus was most squaddies who wear them are chavs, civvies who wear them do so as a fashion accessory and the 4 star is a cnut.

Anyone who logs into Armynet will see that this is their most recent poll subject, with a rather surprising amount of people voting in favour of wearing them.

FiveAlpha said:
It was done to death a while ago. General concensus was most squaddies who wear them are chavs, civvies who wear them do so as a fashion accessory and the 4 star is a cnut.
...and yet in an ongoing survey which asked the following question, 66% of the 2312 x Armynet users who have responded so far voted 'yes':

Should service personnel be allowed to wear a forces-charity wristband whilst in uniform?

Go figure.

Whoops, I see skintboymike has beaten me to it. :)

wear mine without any dramas

Dragstrip said:
FiveAlpha said:
...and yet in an ongoing survey which asked the following question, 66% of the 2312 x Armynet users who have responded so far voted 'yes':
The 66% was probably the younger users on Armynet and since wearing wristbands seems fashionable nowadays the youngsyers will go with the flow. Can a soldier wear the yellow Marie Cancer Foundation pin-on flower on the chest of his uniform in support of this organisation? Of course he can't, then why are the wristbands allowed? Seems all a bit bandwagonish to me.

O2Thief said:
Dragstrip said:
FiveAlpha said:
The 66% was probably the younger users on Armynet and since wearing wristbands seems fashionable nowadays the youngsyers will go with the flow. Can a soldier wear the yellow Marie Cancer Foundation pin-on flower on the chest of his uniform in support of this organisation? Of course he can't, then why are the wristbands allowed? Seems all a bit bandwagonish to me.
I didn't write the above.

As a cadet and therefore a "young person" someone mentioned in one of the earlier posts I am in favour of all forces wristbands and believe that they should be worn in uniform.

However, uniform means "the same", therefore the wrist band must be the same for everyone. We wear poppies around armistice day no problem, so while lots of people are wearing the same wrist band, its not a problem, but lots of different wristbands looks unprofessional.

Much as I am all for H4H and similar forces charities, I can't help but think they look shite in uniform. The way I look at it - You don't need a crappy bit of rubber to show you support the troops. A few quid in the pot now and then, and a general positive approach to those you meet is much better IMO. It's got to the point where they've become almost fashion accessories, what with all the celebrities etc wearing them. Yes, maybe it raises the profile, but it does seem that many are just going along with popular opinion - what's easier, showing your support for the cause with a £2 wristband, or actually getting off your arses and using your high profiled position (unlike that unspeakable cunt Everett) to raise more awareness, money etc. Did I mention I think they look shite in uniform?

FiveAlpha said:
So that'll be three sweeping statements all in one post?

I wear one and I am not a chav
My wife wears one and she's a Head Teacher of a local school and is proud to explain the reasons to parents and children alike.
The four star? If you think he's a cnut then that's your look out. Clearly you've hunted him down and told him how you think to his face?

I take it you don't wear one at all?

If they are green (obviously without Sinn Fein written on it) then 'possibly', I have a H4H one but dont wear it because bugs me to have it dangling around my wrist (if only I'd spent more time either butching up in the gym or eating pies!)

Surely by wearing the uniform it shows you are supportive and appreciative of the charity without having to stick tacky wrist bands.

For those who feel the need to show everyone that they 'donate' why not pretend your beret band is a H4H band.

Some give money via standing order to various charities, they don't fablon their bank statements and wear them on their uniforms.

Some give to cancer charties, but in tribute they don't bath in creosote for the yellow skin effect.

They are what I like to call 'turbo wank'.

Dont get me wrong, i wore one on HERRICK but started to get a bit irked when the blokes turned it from a charity recognition exercise into a 'who can get the most of these mini hoover fan belts on their wrist at once' at which point it becomes a fashion accessory.

On Op Tours and when wearin civvis I have no issue with them, I will even tolerate a single one in uniform (much as it grates). Anymore than that and they get fooking banned