• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Weapons Training

Guns for show. Knives for a pro.

After running around for five weeks with plastic cutlery you get issued your trusty kitchen knife. After that you progress to steak knife and then if you show true promise your boss will present you with a meat cleaver in an ancient ceremony in the mess

bravocold said:
Hey,

I'm starting in Sandhurst in January and am just wondering how many and what weapons OCdts are getting trained on? Anyone have any idea?
They are at their most dangerous when armed with a map and compass.

bravocold said:
Hey,

I'm starting in Sandhurst in January and am just wondering how many and what weapons OCdts are getting trained on? Anyone have any idea?

What weapons would you like to be trained on?

Apart from the obvious, there is a certain amount of leeway and you will be allowed to request training with three weapons of your choice.
I opted for nun-chukas, scaffold pole and shiv.

cpunk

LE
bravocold said:
Hey,

When I was there it was the Brown Bess musket and infantry pattern sword, though things may have changed since then.

It cheers me up no end that you've managed to get in when you clearly haven't read http://www.sandhurst.mod.uk/courses/milskills.htm My AOSB should be a walk in the park then, I must be hugely over prepared.

Throughout Term One Officer Cadets follow a progressive training cycle where they are introduced to their personal weapon, the SA80 5.56 mm rifle. Once they have attained the mandatory standards in weapon handling they progress to live firing lessons and are taught how to coach others. Towards the end of the term Officer Cadets are trained in the use of the 51mm Light Mortar, the Light Support Weapon and Browning 9mm Pistol.

Live firing continues in Term Two as does other training, including the use of high explosive grenades. In their final term Officer Cadets are tested in their ability to conduct live firing ranges. They are then required to plan and conduct the Academy Skill at Arms meeting which serves as an introduction to competition shooting. As a finale to the Sovereign's Banner Competition Officer Cadets participate in a gruelling march and shoot competition which tests an individual's physical, leadership and marksmanship skills to the full.

cpunk

LE
bravocold said:
Fantastic, 13 posts later and I've almost got an answer! Delighted. Keep the abuse coming, I'm sure some semi-postive replies will surface somewhere.
All of this begs the question: what weapons do you want to be trained on? It doesn't take the brains of an Einstein to work out that you will be trained on the British Army's range of personal weapons but if its samurai swords or Kalashnikovs you're interested in, then you'll have to try somewhere else.

bravocold said:
Fantastic, 13 posts later and I've almost got an answer! Delighted. Keep the abuse coming, I'm sure some semi-postive replies will surface somewhere.
Actually the answer was in the third post...

... whoever said 'there are no stupid questions' was not a wise man.

"Almost got an answer"? What more could you want above what was in my reply?

As an aside "Sorry I should have been more specific. Obviously - having done my research - I am already aware of the basic weapons training I'll receive but I need some more detailed information on [whatever]" might have been a better response to these posts than sarcasm.

bravocold said:
I think we have the measure of you BC. You may be in for a bit of a shock should you make it to Sandhurst. In the meantime, keep practising with your ninja throwing stars, and read all you can on the trebuchet.

Latest Threads