Weapons of our youth

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by diehard57, May 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Over the weekend, I thought I'd go for a stroll down memory lane and try and find pictures of some of the 'weaponry' I had as a kid back in the sixties. I came up with this little lot of images. Me and the other kids where I lived must have looked a formidable looking buch, although with hindsight we were unevenly matched when it came to weapon distribution. On my side (the British naturally) we would have the tommy guns, the Airfix FN rifle and of course the fantastic Johnny Seven, whilst the 'Jerries' had an ecletic collection of spud guns, cowboy pistols and rifles, ray guns, James Bond's 'Thunderball' Harpoon gun and even John Steed's 'sword stick'. Tried hard to find pictures of the Airfix FN and Tommy Gun but failed miserably. Anyone remember these? :eek:

PS: Who remembers the kid down their street who could never make a convincing machine gun sound? His always went something like Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah - pathetic!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I want an Airfix FN.........................NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

:x :x :x :x :x

3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I remember the pistol second pic down, balls came out of a hole above the trigger guard not the barrel IRRC - what is the name of it, piccy is not clear enough?

4. Christ! I had the Airfix FN.
    My dad got me a white rifle sling for it & my Gran & mum made me a full Welsh Guards outfit (Bearskin & all), for the Charles & Diana street parties fancy dress competition.
    My grandad even let me wear his WWII medals.
    I thought I looked the bollocks.
    I was disqualified as the judges said it was so good it must have been "bought".
    That pic brings back memories.

Edited for poor memory.

5. I used to have one of those when I was a kid.......swapped it for a real one in 1984 :wink:

6. MMMMM, Airfix FN.

Me and my brother had one each every Christmas for about five years.

Fired silver polythene like plastic bullets with an authentic "Splankkk!" sound.

The barrels always broke off when we were bayonetting each other.

I confessed to my Dad a few years ago why the shed had really caught fire. We'd sussed out that you could reverse the rounds and jam a matchstick in the hole in the base. This would 'explode' on contact roughly half the time......

Hands up who's just searched EBay for one?

7. Me. :oops:

8. Bloody hell! This has taken me back :D
    I had the commando knife,the FN,but always wanted the Johnny Seven. I did have a 'Mills bomb' which you could put a cap into, so when you threw it,it hit the ground with a bang! :)

9. Alsacien,

It was a Sekiden gun - last one I saw on ebay went for about £45 - if only we knew then what we know now :(

10. me too :D

11. It was a Sekiden.

It came with a load of gold coloured balls as ammo but you could fire dried peas which were much cheaper.

12. I used to have the FN one in 1974, happy times running around Munster. :oops:

13. Airfix FN.
    Used to get them from Woolies when I was a kid and as a previous poster pointed out, the barrels always used to snap off.
    IIRC Woolies also sold Airfix Thompson SMG's which were a little more to scale and were a bit more sturdy.
    Both came with a detachable mag.

14. Snap I did that, also had the tommy gun. Born to kill :D

15. What about the homemade weapons:

Peg gun - length of 4 x 2 or similar with a clothes peg attached one end, this is your trigger, your projectiles being elastic bands which your hooked over the "barrel" end of the wood, when you pressed on the peg it released the band, to make it a bit more painful, attach a metal springy bit from another peg to your elastic band bullet.

Bolt grenade - 2 bolts and a nut, screwed together loosely packed with red strip caps, throw it in the air and it should bang when it hits the floor.

Clay wanger - metal hollow pole, stick it in some muddy clay type soil, while holding the pole tightly, use a "throwing a stick for a dog" motion but holding onto the pole resulting in a clay "slug" being lanched at reasonable speed towards your enemies.

High power water pistol - dont fil it with water, use a 50/50 mix of vinegar and lemonade, goes twice the distantce buts hurts your eyes a bit!

Kids just arent creative at all these days! :D