Weapons of officers

At RMAS our College Adjt was a blonde REME chap by the nickname of Lord Flasheart. One of his sundry duties was Oi/c the clay pigeon shooting and as such he had his own Remington 12 shot in the armoury.

He always swore that he'd prefer to take that to war rather than his issue weapon which was an SMG!

Gremlin said:
Ulster_Rifleman said:
A Blackthorn stick would be acceptable.
Or an Ash Plant! :D
That was going to be my reply.

Mind Coy 2IC had his ashplant marched in to the mess one night and charged for masquerading as the CO's ashplant. Only had it a fortnight and never saw it again. Sad.

A stiff upper lip and the confidence that only generations of inbreeding can bring.

Dwarf said:
Gremlin said:
Ulster_Rifleman said:

Mind Coy 2IC had his ashplant marched in to the mess one night and charged for masquerading as the CO's ashplant. Only had it a fortnight and never saw it again. Sad.
I was thinking more Fusiliers than RTR!

I met the last RRF Major to carry one at the end of the eighties, having earned the right via the Northumbrian Fusiliers if I remember correctly!

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
I vaguely recall seeing a photo of a Scots Guards officer carrying a cromach during the approach march to Mount Tumbledown.

Victorian_Major said:
I always thought the SMG was a happy compromise, not small enough to lose; ...
You think ? My OC left his on the roof of the FFR....it might be out there, somewhere by Blackball Firs yet - but I doubt it.

I thought a map was the most dangerous weapon an officer could carry. Or was it a compass? Nope, definitely a map.

Tam

Dit: Major Ewen Southby-Tailyour stood atop the LC waving his walking stick as we went ashore down south. To this day I have no idea what he was saying but he looked a) stupid and b) impressive. When the ramp went down I stumbled into the oggin under the weight of my kit, was trampled on and came up with my barrel nodder free and full of shit! :oops:

Goldbricker said:
Major Jack Churchill said an Officer without his sword isn't properly dressed. Man took a claymore to Vaagso.....
Jack Churchill also took a longbow on a number of raids, and is credited as being the only British soldier to kill a German with one in WW2.

Gremlin said:
Dwarf said:
Gremlin said:
Ulster_Rifleman said:

I was thinking more Fusiliers than RTR!

I met the last RRF Major to carry one at the end of the eighties, having earned the right via the Northumbrian Fusiliers if I remember correctly!
"Earned the right": bloody Forst Battalion - always trying to infect the other Battalions with bad geordie habits parcelled up as Regimental Traditions - silly jumpers and Clockwork Orange walking sticks included.

Only good as a weapon against helpless old winos in subways, IIRC.

auscam said:
Webley Mk. V, waxed cavalry whiskers, monocle, cut-glass accent, and a batman called Mulligan.
. . . or Maggot Malone, if RM.

. . . and was it The Wolf of Kabul who was armed with a Clicky Ba' - or was that his sidekick (Chang or some such, I think)?

A chilled glass of champagne in an antique flute and I wry smile will put any of the blighters to flight
:D

PoGs

www.pocketcomms.com