Weapons of officers

If I recall correctly from my Household Cavalry times we wouldn't trust our officers with a pointy stick let alone any thing that might go bang
:)

PoGs
www.pocketcomms.co.uk

HiHoJo said:
Chodmeister said:
I thought it was just a swagger stick or small bamboo cane?
4 minutes, that has to be some sort of a record!
Believe me, its not. Most of the population of ARRSE can only last 4 minutes. :twisted:

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Certainly, in my day (1978-2000), the sight of an officer with a weapon of any description would have been cause for significant alarm in the Sgts' Mess. Worries the troops, d'you see?

If for any reason an Officer ended up with a minimi or something similar, things will have gone very very wrong.

L85A2/Pistol and nothing else.

Shooting stick. Except for the Paras, where an umbrella is the implement of choice; furled, of course. No gentleman would unfurl his umbrella.

If things get unpleasant, one may be obliged to draw one's sword. Hope this helps.

Officers should be 'armed' only with a stout walking cane to thrash Johnny Foreigner with when he gets uppity, or else have his batman carry his Purdey in the event of a 'general uprising of the native populace'.

I understand that it is permitted to point in the general direction of the enemey with either a swagger stick or fountain pen.

Onetap said:
Shooting stick. Except for the Paras, where an unbrella is the implement of choice; furled, of course.

If things get unpleasant, one may draw one's sword. Hope this helps.
Bad memory....Never could remember the password...Knew no Jerry would carry one...Had to prove I was an Englishman, you see.

Chodmeister said:
I thought it was just a swagger stick or small bamboo cane?
..... and a trusty " Whistle " to really put the fear of God into the foe .

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sorry, wrong thread. I thought this was about a 'adult interest' film I once saw.

All officers up to and including the rank of Lieutenant Colonel are issued the SA80 rifle (or carbine if in a specific role demanding it) as their personal weapon. In common with all other soldiers they may also be issued and carry a pistol as well as, or instead of, their rifle where appropriate.

Officers above the rank of Lieutenant Colonel can elect to have either a pistol or a rifle as their personal weapon.

Officers are trained to use other weapons, particularly within the infantry, but would usually have no reason to carry them as a personal weapon.

Jungelism said:
Onetap said:
Shooting stick. Except for the Paras, where an unbrella is the implement of choice; furled, of course.

If things get unpleasant, one may draw one's sword. Hope this helps.
Bad memory....Never could remember the password...Knew no Jerry would carry one...Had to prove I was an Englishman, you see.
:D nice reference.my favourite " well perhaps you would like to inform her that there is something of a war going on" :p

What is this thread coming to?

An officer should be armed with a sword, although he may wish to have some allowance to modernity by carrying a revolver as well.