Weapons in the movies

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by AsterixTG, Aug 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At the risk of looking like a complete mong (no difference there...), how do weapons in the movies re-cock without BFAs fitted? What makes the action move back if there's nothing to keep gas pressure in the barrel?
  2. As they are not required to ever fire live rounds , I would imagine there is some sort of partial restriction permanently inside the barrel which give the required back pressure for the gas to re cock the working parts
  3. Compressed air?
  4. Good question. I recall back in the 60's my M1 Garrand required an adapter that screwed on to cycle with blanks.

My guess is that the movie studios armourers have them modified internally to cycle with blanks. It probably would be financially a benefit for the movie studios as there is a large tax on transfers of NFA act weapons (i.e. full auto and silencers) but if they were modified for blank only the studios could save the tax which I think is in the hundreds of dollars.
  5. It's often just a lateral screw in front of the gas takeoff. Sometimes it's more elegant with a false muzzle with a restriction. For MG42s it's just the goblet part of the muzzle booster with a much smaller hole. Recoil operated pistols are actually butchered to run blowback with a barrel restriction, and those used for headshots have a solid barrel and special hand weighed blank.
  6. Ironic really, given the reaction of your forefathers to the imposition of tax issue. :)
  7. My understanding is that Auto and Semi Auto weapons have a plug fixed into the barrel. This does not completely close off the barrel but allows enough of the hot gases to build up to allow the weapon to function. The excess is allowed to escape out of the end of the barrel thereby preventing a failure/barrel explosion.

If you look carefully in some films you can see the plug in the barrel of some weapons.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Spot on.

Have a shufty at Arnies muzzle brake here.
  9. Not sure that " hundreds of dollars" tax on a handful of weapons is going to be the overwhelming consideration on a film which will need a a tens of millions dollars budget.

They spend more on the actors riders of odd stuff they must have in their rooms.

10. It's also irrelevant since the wpns are held on the right type of FFL. Civilians can only have Cat.III that was in the system pre-1988, with the 200 dollar transfer tax. Doesn't apply to the right type of dealer FFL.
  11. Firstly, it's not a muzzle brake. It's a flash suppressor.

That one is threaded into the flash suppressor, and also directs gas through the rear of the flash suppressor slots, giving that pretty (and really unrealistic) star-shaped flash pattern in the film.

There's films from the 40s when they just used normal BFA's.
  12. When the film Memphis Belle was being made in RAF Binbrook I took a shufty at their 50 cal machine guns, they had been modified with a barrel restriction to cause the necessary gas pressure. Otherwise they were bog standard 50 cal MGs. As an aside their armourer was even dressed in USAAF uniform and was listening to Glen Miller on his cassette recorder!
  13. "Hollywood Blank adapters" can be purchased fairly easily in the US. I have a fantastic one for my Garand. It simply replaces the Gas cylinder lock and has 3 different size orifice drop in adapters, the lock screws on over it and presto, play Saving Private Ryan all day. Bayonet or Rifle grande launcher can be fixed over it no problems.

The M16/M4 based ones are very similar, just remove the Flash Suppressor, drop the adapter onto the muzzle rescrew suppressor back on. (We used to make our own out of fired cases. saw the case head down to about 1/4'' in length from the extractor rim, File it smooth, punch out the primer and use same as above.)
    I used to get blanks for my platoons M16's from a Buddy in the industry loaded with flash powder. Use the Hollywoods, and at night looked like you were using Live ammo. Scared shit out of the rotating units facing us. He gave me 2 M-60 barrels that were shot out but permanently adapted to blank fire.

Pistols is harder. some replace the slide and barrell like the 1911 ones

there was a National Guardsman in Indiana who made MP40's, PPSH-41's, and M1928A1's and Stens that were full auto blank firers with no NFA restrictions. ATF did not classify them as guns much less Machineguns. He had announced bth a BAR and Bren. Apparently the trick was the blank fed rim first into the chamber were a firing pin was permanently fixed and the barrel vented so as to give the look of full auto fires. I had seen the PPsh and it was damn good with drums. I also saw the Thompson and they looked well worth the money for reinactors. unfortunately I believe he stopped making them as his Light Infantry Bde kept deploying to Iraq and Afghanistan so he sold the rights to someone else.
  14. Weapons like the the SMGs use the blowback principle anyhow.
  15. What about .303 "Bulleted Blank" for the Bren gun? I saw the end of this era with the CCF. The round had a wooden projectile painted blue. The end of the barrel was fitted with a "masher" against which the wooden bullet disintegrated after it had cleared the gas regulator. Masher barrels had to be tightly controlled in case one was taken out for a live-firing range day by mistake. The consequences would have been very interesting for the gunner and his No.2.