Weapons handling

Apologies if this is in the wrong area. When I was serving I was taught that your rifle should always be within an arms reach. Is this written down in any document JSP or something similar and if so what one. I ask because my younger brother who is in the navy (forgive him) was cautioned by the naval police today because he has been reported for not having his rifle slung and therefor not having control of it when on a stationary guard duty. He tells me the rifle was right next to him less than an arms reach away so I don’t see what the fuss is about. But apparently he could be fined and lose his promotion over this.

Apologies if this is in the wrong area. When I was serving I was taught that your rifle should always be within an arms reach. Is this written down in any document JSP or something similar and if so what one. I ask because my younger brother who is in the navy (forgive him) was cautioned by the naval police today because he has been reported for not having his rifle slung and therefor not having control of it when on a stationary guard duty. He tells me the rifle was right next to him less than an arms reach away so I don’t see what the fuss is about. But apparently he could be fined and lose his promotion over this.
He should learn to do what he has been told.

If he is going to be reported, it will be for breaking the rules.

He should learn to do what he has been told.

If he is going to be reported, it will be for breaking the rules.
I’m not arguing that we all know rules are rules and if you **** up take it on the chin do the punishment and move on but what I’m trying to do is find out what the rule actually says and if he has broken it in the first place.

Boxy

GCM
I’m not arguing that we all know rules are rules and if you **** up take it on the chin do the punishment and move on but what I’m trying to do is find out what the rule actually says and if he has broken it in the first place.
It could well be a unit SOP and documented as such, or as part of his orders for being on duty

He will find out, if its gen.

Top right of this page a blue box says "Navy Net" click on that it's more for fish heads. Perhaps someone in there might be able to help?

D

Deleted 4482

What probably happened was:

He was Bosun's mate / upperdeck sentry and armed. Was told to take position stood at the end of the gangway. Officer of the day pops along and finds him sat down inside the hangar, weapon unslung and reading a magazine.