Weapons Handling... Harder than anticipated (Help req'd)

Johnnhoj

Clanker
Hi guys,

Apologies for potentially posting in the wrong area but as this is my first post please accept an advanced apology.
Again if this topic has already been covered accept my apology.

I am struggling to get to grips with weapons handling, like really struggling.
I'm usually not a slow learner but this is taking the biscuit.
Starting to not only annoy myself but can imagine it might be getting tedious for the staff at my Unit.

I've done lots of practice during my Alpha, scraped through the functions test on the course but after a lengthy period since, I've not been exposed to much WH.
As I have my refresher in the very near future (shortly followed by the Bravo) I don't want to turn up being the steg of the group particularly on Bravo as I will get RTU'd..

Other areas I'm excelling in, this however I am not.

What tasks are included in the British army Weapon Handling Test? - Found this on the interweb, is this the correct procedure?

What I'm asking for: primarily is the outline of the functions test (i.e. in bullet points, pardon the pun) & any hints or tips how you guys remembered (made up a rhyme, patterns?)

I'd be ever so grateful

Thanks in advance :)

Hopefully look back in a few months time and think how the F could I not learn that...

It's been a very long time since I've had my hands on any hardware, but I should imagine there's blokes on here who are SAA Instructors who can guide you in the right direction

If memory serves I got screamed at a lot during my basic Weapons Handling in the RMR, to be honest everyone gets shouted at.

Try not to get yourself too worked up about it, and ask for help from your DS - that's what they are there for after all.

Everyone is crap at something to start with. Keep your chin-up mate, you'll get through.

I found that if I visualised what each step was actually doing to the weapon, it helped a great deal. Dry drills are crap if you don't understand how it all fits together.

Do they not have the wooden gats which you can take back to your room to practice with any more?

Blame it on the SAA Instructors shite teaching skills.....they'll appreciate the feed back & remember it's never ever, no siree, your fault if you are weapons mong or can't perform any other important military skill....

How do you get on taking a shit or pi55 without help?

Serious answer: You sound like an AR Bod, so it's important that you speak to your recruit training team - they will get a kindly and helpful weapons instructor to give you some 'one to one' Weapons Luurve , that way, you get to master the inanimate lump of metal and plastic ( weapon) not the other way 'round.

Failing that, find a Syrian Refugee or an illiterate 14 year old Somali, who should be able to strip, assemble and perform any other function, so...................... ....WTF can't you?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Johnnhoj

Clanker
Great responses both serious and to take the Mickey.

'Failing that, find a Syrian Refugee or an illiterate 14 year old Somali, who should be able to strip, assemble and perform any other function, so...................... ....WTF can't you?'

That has to be my favourite.

Once it clicks it will stick, just taking it's time getting there.

Cheers all

ugly

LE
Great responses both serious and to take the Mickey.

'Failing that, find a Syrian Refugee or an illiterate 14 year old Somali, who should be able to strip, assemble and perform any other function, so...................... ....WTF can't you?'

That has to be my favourite.

Once it clicks it will stick, just taking it's time getting there.

Cheers all
Practice, without it all skills fade!

Longmore92

Clanker
You're due to attend a Refresher weekend. I wonder what you will be refreshed on IOT to pass one of the two output tests. Don't worry about it. They will have seen worse.

Practice, without it all skills fade!

The only solution to your problem.
Practice, and then practice some more, and then repeat all that you have done, then race your roommates to see who can do the drill the fastest, safest and the CORRECT way and, after that, tie a blindfold over your eyes, and reassemble the weapon in front of you asp, with mates looking on and thumping you on the cranium each time you cock up.
Simple really....

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
First off, I'll hold my hands up and admit to being a career civilian. That said:

Our brain is split into several parts. Two are the conscious and the sub-conscious. The conscious part of your brain does tasks that require immediate concentration, such as reading this post. Your sub-conscious brain does tasks that can be done in the background. If you type a response to this post, you're conscious brain will be deciding which words to use but your sub-conscious will be guiding your finders to the right part of the keyboard - you don't have to think hard about where each letter is situated.

Thus with any new skill. You first learn it with your conscious brain. Eventually it'll get transferred to your sub-conscious and become a habit. Think of like learning to drive a car. When you first start it's all conscious thought and thinking about how to change gear. Eventually it gets transferred to the sub-conscious part of your brain and changing gear becomes instinctive.

I suspect something similar will take place with your weapons handing - practice enough and it'll become instinctive.

Wordsmith

If memory serves I got screamed at a lot during my basic Weapons Handling in the RMR, to be honest everyone gets shouted at.

Try not to get yourself too worked up about it, and ask for help from your DS - that's what they are there for after all.

Everyone is crap at something to start with. Keep your chin-up mate, you'll get through.

I found that if I visualised what each step was actually doing to the weapon, it helped a great deal. Dry drills are crap if you don't understand how it all fits together.

Do they not have the wooden gats which you can take back to your room to practice with any more?

With cost cutting etc. I think the wooden gats may well be the actual firearms now.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hi guys,

Apologies for potentially posting in the wrong area but as this is my first post please accept an advanced apology.
Again if this topic has already been covered accept my apology.

I am struggling to get to grips with weapons handling, like really struggling.
I'm usually not a slow learner but this is taking the biscuit.
Starting to not only annoy myself but can imagine it might be getting tedious for the staff at my Unit.

I've done lots of practice during my Alpha, scraped through the functions test on the course but after a lengthy period since, I've not been exposed to much WH.
As I have my refresher in the very near future (shortly followed by the Bravo) I don't want to turn up being the steg of the group particularly on Bravo as I will get RTU'd..

Other areas I'm excelling in, this however I am not.

What tasks are included in the British army Weapon Handling Test? - Found this on the interweb, is this the correct procedure?

What I'm asking for: primarily is the outline of the functions test (i.e. in bullet points, pardon the pun) & any hints or tips how you guys remembered (made up a rhyme, patterns?)

I'd be ever so grateful

Thanks in advance :)

Hopefully look back in a few months time and think how the F could I not learn that...
There are 'instructors and good Instructors' It may be your instructor's problem, if he's shouting and balling at you? Why not in your own time get one of your mates to put you through the essentials. Load, Unload, Make Safe, stripping and assembling etc. I often saw that happening during my own basic training, and keep up your display of good manners, we indeed need more of your type on here.

Today we have naming of the parts.

Today we have naming of parts. Yesterday,
We had daily cleaning. And tomorrow morning,
We shall have what to do after firing. But to-day,
Today we have naming of parts. Japonica
Glistens like coral in all of the neighbouring gardens,
And today we have naming of parts.

This is the lower sling swivel. And this
Is the upper sling swivel, whose use you will see,
When you are given your slings. And this is the piling swivel,
Which in your case you have not got. The branches
Hold in the gardens their silent, eloquent gestures,