Weapons etc.

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by combat_wombat, Feb 9, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm in the rifle volunteers as a recruit. What is the best way to clean gas parts quickly? Any short cuts that are legal and i won't get into trouble for or damage the parts are most welcome!!
  2. Your own urine. Contains mild acid cleaning properties.
  3. He said clean , Gunny, not drink.
  4. Gas parts are a difficult one, especially if you are the GPMG gunner

I find it easier to put all the bits in a bath full of boiling hot water, leave them and go on the lash.

When you return someone else will have been dicked to clean it and put it away and you have to only do a fortnight in pokey.... worked for me anyway :D
  5. Another one is course sandpaper. Or Brillo Pads with hot water.
  6. Volunteer to hold yer pals shoota while he has a whazz....rob his gas parts and put them in your pocket

Shoot away until your hearts content watching him shoot single shot for the entire exercise...at the end give him back his minging gas parts and put back your squeaky clean shiney unused ones... calling him SUCKA, loud too helps, or go down the road of (I found these, check they aren't yours before we have to ive our declaration) he will be that grateful he will buy beer all night
  7. Better still, just shout BANG and pretend your firing. Throw the un-used rounds in the nearest bin or down a grid. And before you can say 'Netto, it's Scandinavian for value', your gas parts are still clean !!
  8. Use the sputnik with the GPMG

Use the cleaning kit with the SA 80. You're a recruit, and that means learning to do it the proper way, before you learn enough to take "short cuts"

It's your weapon, treat it with respect.
  9. OIL gas parts soon as you finished fireing or as soon as convient leave for 15 minutes or so then should just wipe most off . issuse oil has somethin in it that does remove some carbon if you let it get cold well scotbrite and elbow grease stores should issuse it . ARe you coming out to basra in april so i can go home ?
  10. i usually use a rag to clean my musket of gunpowder, and prep all my shots and gunpowder sachets with correct mesurements so that the barrel don't foul up with too much gunpwder thus preventing from fighting off those damned royalist soldiers
  11. Try vinegar or brown sauce.

it wont corrode the metal you even get it free at scoff time in sachets! :wink:
  12. why not get a small philipino boy to come in and clean it. works for me and it only costs 4p an hour :wink:
  13. Oh bloody hell, sorry Woody, we forgot all about you. As we hadn't heard much from the "Lost patrol" we assumed you were having a great time , and werent in a particular hurry to come back.

No, we can't send anyone else out to relieve you, as we've been dicked for a 6 monther closer to home. You think troops grow on trees or summat :lol:

And where are the photos?
  14. If you can get to the PX or the states try "break"

It has always worked for me, but then I try and avoid the range like the plague so the one spray tin has lasted me years.

If no one knows where to get it over here, stick with HP sauce, scotchbrite and elbow grease. It is character building.

{ be thankful that your unit does not have a " 1st Batallion the Rifle Volunteers" sign, made up of 8 inch brass letters that needs to be cleaned every day!!}
  15. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Bit of a tip on the Break Free CLP (Cleans, Lubricates, Protects - sounds like a Domestos flavoured condom)

Shake the bottle every time you use it. It contains Teflon which beads very quickly and descends to the bottom of the container. So if it ain't shaken you'll only be using the suspending oil. All very technical but you only have to remember to shake the damn bottle.

If you want a pull through that will really do the biz, invest in a 'Bore-Snake' available at any good gun shop. But get the correct size, you'll be in for a ba$tard size bill if you try pulling a 7.62 Bore-Snake through the SA80 !

However C_W, as has been mentioned before - you're a crow. Learn to do EVERYTHING the way you're taught, don't try to be clever. Later when you've a bit of time behind you then you can try some of these time saving tecniques.