Weapon ID ?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hi folks,

I'm thick - is this the same H & K carbine our beloved MDP tote about from time to time?
( Image from public website - dude's persec is gone a long time back)

Just askin'

1579088296390.png

TamH70

MIA
Hi folks,

I'm thick - is this the same H & K carbine our beloved MDP tote about from time to time?

Just askin'

View attachment 443908
It's not any member of the HK G36 family - the profile of the top of the receiver is all wrong. The collapsible butt-stock looks like it's the same as used on the HK416, as does the layout of the magazine well. The barrel length is extremely short, so it's not a standard HK416. I'd not put money on it, but to me, it looks a hell of a lot like the HK416C variant seen here:

POTD: HK416C Out In The Wild -

The MOD Police use this:

which is distinguishable from the above weapon by having its magazine mounted in the pistol grip.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thanks Tam - every day a Kollidge day on Arrse, as ever.

TamH70

MIA
Thanks Tam - every day a Kollidge day on Arrse, as ever.
No worries. I am a bit confused on a point myself though - was that pic taken in Britain? I'm not sure I've heard of anything being used by the British police forces outside of the HK G36K/G36C variants, or if they've going old-school, the HK53.

NSP

LE
No worries. I am a bit confused on a point myself though - was that pic taken in Britain? I'm not sure I've heard of anything being used by the British police forces outside of the HK G36K/G36C variants, or if they've going old-school, the HK53.
Does look very UK in terms of architecture, hi-viz, vehicle livery, etc.

Here's a list of "long" weapons deployed by UK constabulary:-

NB: it's Wiki so will caveat with "It might be incomplete. Or complete bollox."

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
LMT Defender is popular as is SIG516

TamH70

MIA
Does look very UK in terms of architecture, hi-viz, vehicle livery, etc.

Here's a list of "long" weapons deployed by UK constabulary:-

NB: it's Wiki so will caveat with "It might be incomplete. Or complete bollox."
Hmm, the article linked to in the page referring to Hampshire Police having the HK416C seems legit.

LMT Defender is popular as is SIG516
All the Police Murder Death Kill Carcrash Bloodgush Artery Court Case shows I've seen recently have shown their armed response teams with various HK's. Interesting to read about them also using SIGs and LMT.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Hi folks,

Just askin'.
Definitely not the MP-7 used by the MDP.

Stock strongly suggests an AR15 derivative. Short fore-end and barrel, holographic sight, and what looks like doubled-up PMags or similar (two mags side by side for that rapid reload, for when one magazine just isn't enough)

Can't be more specific on the photo than that - "short AR15" allows a lot of options, it's a crowded marketplace.

I'll be a bit snarky and say he's hung more bling on it than a lot of airsofters get around to...

ches

LE
I thought Police firearms choice/use was a decision made by each force? There were a lot of piccies in the press a few years ago during one the AT scares & very tooled up bobbies were lugging HK416s around inc all the bells & whistles on the front ends.

HHH

GCM
It appears to be taken at the Changing of the Guard at Windsor Castle.

This lot in CTSFO use Sig's. From left to right: MCX, summat in an AICS, MCX, MCX and lastly a 516.

I notice no discernable difference between the HK 416 and the Sig 516 in quality of function. Throw into the mix that for the price of one HK 416 you can buy three SIG 516's and I would strongly (90%) think that the gat in the original post is a Sig 516. One thing I am 100% sure about......he is using a Magpul gen2, or gen 3 windowed magazine.

This lot in CTSFO use Sig's. From left to right: MCX, summat in an AICS, MCX, MCX and lastly a 516.

I notice no discernable difference between the HK 416 and the Sig 516 in quality of function. Throw into the mix that for the price of one HK 416 you can buy three SIG 516's and I would strongly (90%) think that the gat in the original post is a Sig 516. One thing I am 100% sure about......he is using a Magpul gen2, or gen 3 windowed magazine.

Probably a silly question but why would a UK police force not use the L85 Series rather than a SIG or US firearm system? Presumably any police officers who were ex forces would have experience with it and logistics would be simplified by using parts from MoD and the bullpup is supposed to be the greatest thing ever invented for use in vehicles and urban areas?

Probably a silly question but why would a UK police force not use the L85 Series rather than a SIG or US firearm system? Presumably any police officers who were ex forces would have experience with it and logistics would be simplified by using parts from MoD and the bullpup is supposed to be the greatest thing ever invented for use in vehicles and urban areas?
Shhhh! Keep your voice down, then go wash your mouth out with soap.
They cannot look like a certain SF unit if they use L85 and have all the other kit.

TamH70

MIA

If the OP's post is of a Hampshire Constabulary firearms officer, I would lay money that it isn't a SIG 516, as they've never used them. They have used HK416Cs in the past, and according to other stuff I've read today out of interest, they've since switched to LMT Defenders, or are in the process of doing so.

That story is six years old at this point, but those are HK416Cs in that piccy. Not Defenders. If the OP picture is contemporaneous with that story, the gat is more than likely an HK416C as well.

edited to add this page showing a stock photo image showing a Hampshire officer with his HK416C

You've ID'd those chaps incorrectly. Those lads are a London-based, rapid response, mental health care team. I know because whenever someone is taken mentally unwell, and goes on about Alan, these chaps get called. I'm sure it's nowt to do with terror.

Last edited:

chimera

LE
They cannot look like a certain SF unit if they use L85 and have all the other kit.
Ah of course - the key is to look like "them" as much as possible!

If the OP's post is of a Hampshire Constabulary firearms officer, I would lay money that it isn't a SIG 516, as they've never used them. They have used HK416Cs in the past, and according to other stuff I've read today out of interest, they've since switched to LMT Defenders, or are in the process of doing so.

That story is six years old at this point, but those are HK416Cs in that piccy. Not Defenders. If the OP picture is contemporaneous with that story, the gat is more than likely an HK416C as well.

edited to add this page showing a stock photo image showing a Hampshire officer with his HK416C

I'm with you, but what made me wonder was the butt-stock design as, to me with my specsavers on, in the picture it just don't look like the 416 style. Crap picture that it is.

Latest Threads