Weapon Handling question

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by RP578, Jun 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I witnessed something a little while back that's been nagging me for a while. After a Weapon Handling lesson we were tasked with give the gats a quick cleaning and I noticed that one of the 'senior' Riflemen was using this as a chance to give extra tuition to a new bod. Nothing wrong there.

When he got to the function test however I noticed a couple of pretty peculiar drills. Most notably, he instructed the lad to cock the rifle 3 times. I know that's not in the PAM and have never seen it done before. Where did this come from? Is it an old SLR drill that seems to have been passed down and if so, what was it for?

I wasn't in a position to ask the lad about it there and then as I was tasked to deal with something else, but would like to know where this came for background from before I pull this lad aside and quote chapter and verse.
  2. We were taught to do this and i think its a good idea. It checks that all the bits are correctly assembled and the working parts are correctly alligned.

I seem to remember that for the A1, if thigs were not properly done the cocking stud could fall out and its better to find that out sooner rather than later!
  3. This was a drill used in NI as an 'overkill' to ensure that tired soldiers had removed the magazine first as part of the unload. The theory being that you could cock the weapon once with the mag on and this would feed a round into the chamber which would be discharged at 'ease springs'. If you cocked the weapon three times everone would notice the cartridges flying through the air and a ND could be avoided. This worked equally for the 9mm pistol.
    Of course my old Corps decided to extend this drill to the SMG with its fixed firing pin and the level of NDs across Belfast went through the roof in 1977. I recall a cartoon in the 'Visor' showing two infanteers cowering behind a loading bay discussing the merits of going out on patrol as there was less risk of being shot at.
  4. It does help reduce the chances of one particular type of ND - where a live round has been held onto the boltface by the extractor, but not ejected. Obviously you could see such a stuck round when you look in after just one c*ck, but these type of NDs happen because they are rare incidents and people often do not see something they are not expecting to see.
  5. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Thanks for the replies. As part of an unload drill to ensure no NDs, I can understand. But as part of the functions test, i.e. after you've just re-assembled the rifle?

Surely the function test itself (without the additional cocking) would ensure everything is where it should be?
  6. It could be the introduction of a non standard drill (such as the SMG one I described) by well intentioned individuals. I recall there was also the 'drill' of holding back the working parts of a Browning pistol with the safety catch and using a charged mag to release the trigger. Net result, nob ends get it the wrong way round by placing the mag into the weapon before allowing the working parts to move forward thus chambering a round with the resultant bang. This was a particular BAOR speciality of the Corps.
    Best advice? Go back to the manual and find out the correct drill. If in doubt talk to the experts.
  7. It's years since I handled SA80 but I would suggest that cocking the action three or so times after assembly will do the following for any weapon system.

1) Distribute oil up and down the boltways etc.
    2) Show up any faults with loose bits of flanellette etc that have been overlooked and are "floating".
    3) Seat springs etc. properly.
  8. It tests operation of the safety catch,and the safety seer in both auto and single shot.
  9. Yes, hence why its not in the PAMM, but have seen occasions where it looks fine and after checking c0ck hook and release all is fine but when the full action is cycled, it could bring something to light. Its not really necesarry (hence not in pamm) but people liked to check hence they did it. Persoanlly for the A1, i think its a good idea, never used the A2 so don't know the relevence today!
  10. It is still the corps speciality! One particular n*b head in my section used the one metre range on Telic in this way, to say I was fuming is an understatemant!
  11. Let me guess they still only take five rounds out of the mag on handover as you can see the rest through the holes in the side?
  12. After joining the TA after a 6 year absence I noticed people doing that with the A2, first of I thought "bloody 'ell that went out with the ark" only to discover it was a taught drill with the A2.

I can't back this up yet as I have yet to receive conversion training
  13. You cock the weapon four times, each time cocking only once. Totally unnecessary to cock weapon more then once on each check.

Cock weapon once- check safety catch
    Cock weapon once- trigger pulled back, release, and listen for click
    Cock weapon once-hammer held to rear on auto
    Cock weapon once-look for hammer striking firing pin

Obviously that just covering the cocking and not the whole test

Change safety to S and change lever to R close dust cover, present weapon for inspection full Function test complete in 20 Seconds
  14. I still use the cock the weapon 3 times whenever I check for safety or unload one. This applies to pistols and rifles whatever the make.

1. If you have been thick enough to leave a mag on the weapon then 3 rounds will be ejected. This hopefully will register even if you are falling asleep on your feet.

2. It shows that the working parts have been assembled correctly and are operating.

3. Yes...This comes from the old SLR drills

15. In that case you are doing the wrong drills or you have been taught wrong

The function test is laid down in a sequence to test the weapon is working correctly this does not involve in cocking it 3 times.

The fact that some people cock the weapon 3 times on the unload means they have never got skilled on WHT and are prone to using bad drills period