Weapon effectiveness

This might be an old(ish) article, I haven't done any research but it puzzles me as to why this piece of filth was still alive after a few rounds were put into him. What calibre weapons are the Police using and more to the point the muzzle velocity? No way am I questioning the blokes on the ground at the time(been there, done that), but the equipment/ammunition they are issued with.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
was he on drugs? if he was out of it he might not have even noticed at first.

TamH70

MIA
was he on drugs? if he was out of it he might not have even noticed at first.

Adrenaline also has a habit of keeping folks on their feet long after they've sustained fatal gunshot injuries. One of the two guys at the Miami-Dade FBI shootout in 1986 managed to return fire and kill and seriously wound FBI agents after sustaining lethal injuries, but both of them had been shot previously in the engagement and kept on trucking.

To answer the OPs question, it often depends on ammunition calibre and nature, as well as shot placement. Terminal ballistics is a weird thing at times. You are not guaranteed to kill someone every time you shoot them, even if you manage to hit them with multiple rounds.

Adrenaline also has a habit of keeping folks on their feet long after they've sustained fatal gunshot injuries. One of the two guys at the Miami-Dade FBI shootout in 1986 managed to return fire and kill and seriously wound FBI agents after sustaining lethal injuries, but both of them had been shot previously in the engagement and kept on trucking.

To answer the OPs question, it often depends on ammunition calibre and nature, as well as shot placement. Terminal ballistics is a weird thing at times. You are not guaranteed to kill someone every time you shoot them, even if you manage to hit them with multiple rounds.
Hollywood telling lies!

I see a lot of people say this.

But it never happened to me, or anyone I know.
Ditto.

The Assassin may have picked up the sentence from someone else to pretend he deployed.

There is rumour that he's a reincarnation of a career civvy who has an opinion on every subject, no matter how little they know. He's also an internet two can Van Damme - which is quite funny to watch.

Ditto.

The Assassin may have picked up the sentence from someone else to pretend he deployed.

There is rumour that he's a reincarnation of a career civvy who has an opinion on every subject, no matter how little they know. He's also an internet two can Van Damme - which is quite funny to watch.
Ah, that may explain it.

Mölders 1

War Hero
This might be an old(ish) article, I haven't done any research but it puzzles me as to why this piece of filth was still alive after a few rounds were put into him. What calibre weapons are the Police using and more to the point the muzzle velocity? No way am I questioning the blokes on the ground at the time(been there, done that), but the equipment/ammunition they are issued with.

I am reasonably certain that the Armed Police use 9mm Rounds/Weapons as standard, although some units also use the 5.56mm and 4.6mm Round/Weapons as well.

The Assassin

On ROPS
On ROPs
Ditto.

**** off knob. OPTAG was where the full mag story came from.

You upset I had better deployments than you?

omegahunter

War Hero
I am reasonably certain that the Armed Police use 9mm Rounds/Weapons as standard, although some units also use the 5.56mm and 4.6mm Round/Weapons as well.
5.56 is standard in long arms, for most forces (usually HK G36C's with some using Sig MCX's), they wanted something that will pierce soft body armour. It's also mostly fired out of barrels with are less than 10" in length, which really isn't ideal for the round.

There are more suitable weapons out there, but that means investment in new weapons, ammo stockpiles, maybe redesign of carriage equipment, ranges, so it's probably not going to happen

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I preferred my GPMG, at least it never jammed on me
That doesn't sound like you've fired a GPMG much, then, at least not on ops.

If you've never had a twisted link or badly snapped in rebomb, you must have been firing link out of the box every time. Which sounds like range firing. Even op vehicle mounts firing from the box jammed from time to time with dust and oil building up.

GPMG's aren't unjammable, it's just that jams are (usually) quick and easy to clear: pop, sweep, ready, replace, smack, keep firing. More knowledge needed next time.

Jacl

Old-Salt
I think that a lot of people overrate the effectiveness of 9mm. As TamH90 indicated in his post the bank robbers absorbed a lot of fire, principally 9mm HPs before they finally succumbed to their injuries. That resulted in the development of 40 S&W, a sort of 10mm light, and its use by PDs across the States. Meanwhile 9mm projectiles have been improved to the point where 9mm is now considered to be as good as 40 S&W.
Re-invention of the wheel.
I think that the shooting of two IRA terrorists in Gibraltar proved that the only way to guarantee instant death with pistol rounds is a shot into the base of the scull. That is instant lights out, however getting that shot in is not easy.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I never had any problems with my rifle, lmg, or .50 cal.

If someone is firing an entire mag at a target and they keep coming I would suggest that person needs to spend more time on the ranges as they have clearly not hit the target.
You say that but in my experience those ******* on the range were absolutely the worst for it. Umpteen holes in them and still they kept getting up.

The Assassin

On ROPS
On ROPs
That doesn't sound like you've fired a GPMG much, then, at least not on ops.

If you've never had a twisted link or badly snapped in rebomb, you must have been firing link out of the box every time. Which sounds like range firing. Even op vehicle mounts firing from the box jammed from time to time with dust and oil building up.

GPMG's aren't unjammable, it's just that jams are (usually) quick and easy to clear: pop, sweep, ready, replace, smack, keep firing. More knowledge needed next time.
Fired far more from GPMG in theatre than did from SA80, and I was vehicle mounted. My GPMG was cleaned often to keep the sand/oil clumps out. Just my experiences of it