Weapon Allegedly Used in Arizona Shooting

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, Jan 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Given the quite ridiculous coverage thus far in this tragedy, I post this with the caveat that the facts may be different.

A good example of this is the "authoritative" reports yesterday, including some "weapons experts" who were absolute in their view that due to the number of wounded etc. etc. an "automatic" weapon "must" have been used. (N.B. The number of crimes actually involving the use of an automatic weapon is statistically miniscule and the number involving those that are legally owned can be counted on one hand.) Of course, these reports were also paired with another false, though largely unconditional, report that the shooter was a "veteran of the Afghanistan War."

Taken together, these reports, supplemented by the unfounded assertions that the evil "Tea Party" was behind this etc., demonstrate the lengths that some will go to make any "crisis" fit their ideological templates.

Shooter used a Glock 19, sources say

There are also as yet unconfirmed reports that an "extended" magazine was used.

Cue the usual calls for "gun control."
  2. Might have been an Afghan Vet - They haven't found the fecker yet:

A 22-year-old man has been arrested and police are hunting for a second man in connection with the shooting.
  3. Not my point old fellow--there is a view at least in the US among some ideologues (almost as if they hope for it) of a crazed white veteran (ideally a Marine given the USMC stance on certain social issues) fully brainwashed with Tea Party bigotry doing this sort of thing.

In addition, I chose my words carefully (as I try hard to do in contrast to some posters) in that none of the reports thus far in suggest this second "person of interest" was "the shooter."
  4. Colonel, as in all things regarding tragedies such as this, the focus will inevitably drift toward the tool used: it is an inanimate, unthinking mechanical device. Whilst much hand-wringing will fill the media as to why the poor, tormented soul decided to use it in this fashion, single issue groups will always -always - seek to rage against the weapon and the culture behind it.
  5. I wish some of those in the US were as astute.
  6. Hang on. A member of your legislature, a Federal Judge, a child and numerous others going about their daily business are gunned down in broad daylight on the streets of a US city. Even without the political backdrop, the gunsight posters, the references to D politicians being 'dead men' by the new R speaker, I would think that the incident merits extensive media coverage, wouldn't you?
  7. Sigh....this is a tragedy of epic proportions but you are apparently (I cannot say if willingly so) merely soaking up the very kind of thing that will aggravate this situation. For example, you state the known facts in your first sentence and then without any qualification (and I mean that in every possible meaning of the term) add the next as if one follows the other when there is NO evidence whatever that is the case and indeed from what is known thus far it is entirely the opposite.

In addition, as has been pointed out on other threads and in other fora but seemingly ignored by those making the kinds of suggestions (some might say accusations?) you are, the kinds of "evidence" you cite of the basis for "extensive media coverage" can be replicated in even worse terms and even more frequently if one does even a minimal perusal of progressivist propaganda over even just the last 10 years.

Indeed, of one takes the time to actually read what is thus far known about the accused shooter, the kinds of things being attributed to anyone who disagrees with the progressivist playbook as being "causes" for this person's alleged acts are at best ludricous.
  8. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Don't get too irate, these things are all sanctioned by the bible... probably.
  9. Thanks for that--I forgot to add that to the vacuous template world view that so many seem unable to see beyond when confronted with FACTS that don't seem to fit what they hope for.
  10. Typical. You shut down a thread about Muslim rape gangs attacking white girls in Britain, but you feel comfortable insulting Christians because you think it's "safe" to do so.
  11. I'm soaking up nothing. I have no idea why this man (men) carried out this act. My point was that in your first sentence of the OP you state the coverage thus far to have been 'ridiculous'. I merely made that point that, irrespective of all the hoopla surrounding Palin, the Tea Party et al, the incident surely merits the extensive media coverage it has received. You yourself admit that it is 'a tragedy of epic proportions'.
  12. And reassert "coverage thus far to have been 'ridiculous."
  13. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Call me pedantically observant but cpunk wasn't actually commenting with reference to the shooter's motivation.

By the way, where in the linked story (beyond newspaper readers comments which don't count) was atheism mentioned?
  14. Does it really make a difference what weapon was used (except to people who want to make a narrow political point)? Six people are dead, some may yet die. A tragedy to the individuals and their families.

But, statistically, it is just an hour and 25 minutes worth of deaths on US roads (2008 BTS stats - 36,750 deaths per year)! That makes it "newsworthy" because of the importance of 2 of the victims and the age of one other?