Weak Side. basically need advise.

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Hypno85, Feb 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys first post :) i decided i wanted to try and get into the army, Engineers hopefully. I'm 21, 5.9 and weight about 9 stone oh and I'm a skinny runt.

So to help getting fit i got a gym membership and when i went in got a fitness plan done based on what the army requires which i find is ok.

I do 1.5 mile on the treadmill which is getting easier every time i do it. My problem lays with the weights as I'm pretty skinny i have pretty much no muscle so i wanted to build myself up a bit. Well my left side of my body seems to be so weak to my right i know sounds stupid but i do everything with my right side accept writing which is left, My left side just lets me down when doing press ups, chest press, shoulder press etc.. Is there anyway to build my left side up to try and get it on the same level as my right side?

I know you probably say harden the f**k up or something but it is starting to get me down that i cant do more then 10 - 15 push ups.

Thanks in advance. :)

P.s I know this ain't place to ask but when you get your info pack through you only get a interest form to fill out which i did and sent back now do they contact me? or should i phone and ask for a interview?

2. just keep at it mate and it will get better push ups are all about technique once you have it they are easy. But dont ask me for instructions coz i dont have a clue i just go for it in groups of 20. Set yourself a goal ie " ill get to 10 then rest then do another ten and so on pretty soon you will be doing more and more. Hope this helps im sure there are PTIs out there that will be able to offer more advice on muscle groups etc. Also everyone has a strong/weak side you are not alone there

3. hi mate,the only thing you can do is start from as much as your left side can do and build from there now its poitless lifting more with your right than your left as this will make the problem worse im sure if you ask your instructor theyll be happy to help. id start by lifting what you can doing good full actions i.e dumbell curls arms by side elbows tucked in full extension then slowly back up. just dont whatever you do be put off by starting with very small weights!!

4. Just as a matter of interest, time yourself doing the 1.5 mile on the treadmill, then time yourself doing 1.5 mile on the roads. The treadmill is propelling your feet backwards but on the road you have to do the work and propell yourself forward.

As for your week side, just train as much as you can but use the same size weights for both left and right sides, eventually they should start to even themselves out as the week side with have to do more work.

BT

5. Give it a couple of weeks and after that if you have not heard anything give your local ACIO a call to push it along slightly. No one is going to have a go at you for being keen to get into the Army!

6. Thanks for the reply guys. BT I'll do that as soon as possible atm i'm coming down with the flu :pissedoff: