We would have loved to be British colony

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Oct 9, 2006.

?
  1. Yes and military force should be used

27.5%
  2. Only oil rich territories should be returned

5.0%
  3. All countries that wish it should be British colonies

45.0%
  4. I do not care

3.8%
  5. Stupid idea, waste of time

18.8%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/10/07/wruss107.xml

Georgian president Saakashvili said

Do you agree that Georgia as a British colony now would be a good staring point to restore the British empire?

2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Yes. Georgia, USA :!:

3. ''We would have loved to inherit the judiciary that Britain left its colonies''..
    Yes, but would he have copied most of the newly independent ex-colonies and thrown out the British style judiciary and installed a police state?

4. To be honest, I don't know what the British Empire actually 'means' anymore, and couldn't comment on if it would be good or not.

5. To rebuild the Empire would require

a)a big new RN with real battleships
    b)root and branch renovation of the grammar school system
    c)a ban on Oxbridge graduates going into the media!
    d)an initial conscription of Oxbridge graduates into the Indian Civil Service
    e)resurrection of the trading and manufacturing base of the UK (oops GB)
    f)hodloads of "white men" willing to take up their burden once again
    g)an idealistic concept of empire as duty (it may be somewhere in the archives at the FCO??)

6. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Indian Office records - now at Kew.

The trading and manufacturing base you mention was established and kept in place by the "Imperial Preference" scheme - and the contention of First Wave revisionist historians ( 70's Sussex Poly era) is that in the early days of Empire , Britain achieved its manufacturing eminence by systematically destroying the indigenous industrial base (particularly in India)

The SecondWave of revisionist historians (notably Niall Ferguson) says this is c0ck...

Heath's determination to drag us into the EEC was the death-knell of the old Empire trade. The Japanese ( and more recently of course China) stepped cheerfully into the gap we left behind.

Le Chevre

7. Not the first time we've been there (fictionally anyway).

My English Grandfather

8. Trust me, if many of my Oxford contemporaries had the opportunity to be building courthouses, post offices, drains and red pillar-boxes across Tanganyika while wearing pith helmets, dispensing summary justice and drinking gin and tonics they would. Instead, one has joined the Australian diplomatic service and is serving in Persia, others are/have been attached to economic development agencies / schools in Ceylon, Nyasaland, British Guiana and the Maldives. Sadly many others are in the City.

9. Ok - we all know it ain't going to happen:

1: If Georgia was worth colonising in the first place we'd have been there.
    2: The potential occupation forces have got a little bit on their plate right now.
    3: The valued judiciary ain't what it used to be.
    4: We have a Foreign Office hthat would rather sell loyals down the road then assert their rights - ask:
    a. A Gibraltarian.
    b. A Falkland Islander.
    5. More rants to follow if provoked.

10. Ah Sergey I always knew ya where really one of us. You must be the Ultimate Wanabee, from Komisar to subject of HM ( Luvvly Lady) and just ta keep ya happy we'll send Duke of Kent as Queens rep. said ta look like ya last hireditary Govoner. ( Zsar not Boris)
    john
    'A note: I express only my private opinion. Take into account, please, that I don't belong to the British military.'

11. Delete "British" Empire.. insert English Empire and we may be getting somewhere.

The day will come when Greater England will dominate the world stage by a combination of charm, diplomacy and strategic nuclear weaponry... its the way forward.

What's French for imapct area by the way? :twisted:

12. It was, and shall remain the British Empire. It is a United Kingdom, we are all equal partners, ... except Wales who are Englands bitch, but we dont talk about that ;).

England may have been the original force behind uniting the Kingdom, but the Empire was a product of the UK as a whole.

13. Crap idea. We should actually hive off the remaining embarassment known as the Commonwealth too.