We Will Remember Them (Or will we?)

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Fallschirmjager, Nov 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It strikes me that we only really remember those who died in WWI and post WWI which is a fraction of those that have died fighting for these Isles. My thoughts are if it wasn't televised or within a certain timespan then those that died aren't really remembered. Soldiers have been dying to protect this country since the Roman invasion and probably before that.

I bet no one was stood there for 2 minutes today thinking of those that died fighting to save this country from Duke William of Normandy in 1066 or of those who died fighting alongside Alfred the Great against the Vikings at the Battle of Ethandun on Salisbury Plain. Even those of the Crimea and South African Wars are largely forgotten.

So as for 'We will remember them' I say bollocks. We will remember a small proportion of them.

Anyway it's the NAAFI so crack on!
  2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Since WW1 is fairly fresh in the public's mind, it's fairly obvious why people remember wars since then.

Most of us knew someone who served in WW1 and heard first hand stories about it. I'd wager no one on this site ever met someone who served in the Crimea though. Therefore older conflicts tend to fade into the distance.

Years from now when those who met and knew WW1 veterans are gone, the focus will turn to more recent conflicts.

Anyway since it's the Nafwah: fuck shit bollox etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Forgive the sensible reply to a post in the NAAFI please.

Perhaps it is because it is only in the wars since WW1 that we (the people of the United Kingdom) have been able to relate to servicemen and women. During WW1 moving pictures of soldiers were seen for the first time of a large scale. The husbands, sons and fathers of people who were watching those moving pictures were seen dying. The wounded were brought home still with fresh wounds. The battles were often fought in places that people had been to. Until then it was all just stories in newspapers. Also, there are plenty alive now who's fathers and grandfathers fought in that war and the wars since.

Anyway, tits, wank and bollocks (just to keep in the NAAFI spirit).
  4. Fair point. The only ones I remember are the ones I knew personally.
  5. I was remembering Uhtred of Bebbanburg. His fictitious plight against the hording Vikings saved our Saxon lands from pillage and ass rapage circa 860.
  6. Both my grandfather and my father survived the big ones as well as other forgotten conflicts (Russia and Palestine). But I did think of my great grandfather (Kings regt, Ladysmith).
  7. Briiliant series of books from Mr Cornwell, as usual.
  8. .
    I used to remember the unkown soldier .......... but I'm buggered if I can recall his name.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. I will always remember you Falls, just a pity your still alive.......just about though you old CUNT.

mmmm it is in the NAAFI isnt it mate.
  10. This is far too sensible for the NAAFI.

Can I wear a REME hat if I'm in the Bootnecks, I mean, it should be ok 'cos I service my own car?

I met this bloke who said he was in the SAS, what a fucking Walt. P.S. I'm a fucking gopping civvy.
  11. Well no, my lot were on the Norman side in 1066. The poppy was adopted as a symbol of Remembrance in 1921 don't know what was used before then. There seems to be a war for every generation, 1900s WW1 and WW2, 1950's Korea, 1980's Falklands, present Iraq and Afghanistan. I guess each generation remember what's pertinent to them. Iraq and Afghanistn saw the repatriaton of war dead mainly for the first time, other wars the dead have largely been left where they fell and there were photos on the crosses for Iraq and Afghanistan in the Garden of Remembrance today, guess we have short memories
  12. I find myself in agreement with you. I would say however, that maybe as a nation there is little memory pre WW1, but within the military (and for once I will include the RAF and the Navy), we do, and maybe that is in itself enough.

However, as this is the NAAFI Bar, go fuck yourself cunt :)
  13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

It depends on your definition of 'we' and 'this country'. It also depends on your definition of 'remember'.

Practically all of 'us' are miscegenated, a mix of Picts, Celts, Scots, Romans, Saxons, Angles, Vikings, Normans and numerous other genes from around the globe. The nationalist element is rather new in its current form and not especially attractive.

Montgomery was of Norman stock, as was Rommel. From memory their families hail from villages within 10 miles of each other. Most famous English generals were of Norman stock, too, which means they were largely Viking (as were the founders of the medieval Russian state; Longshanks and Dolgaruki share more than just a common name).

The UK is just over 300 years old, before then the English and the Scots had regular goes at each other. The last battle was in 1746 at Culloden.

Although the modern Remembrance service is a 1919 phenomenom (though the Cenotaph in that year was merely a temporary structure), the words of the service commemorate all who die and suffer as a result of war, not just 'our' people.

A more leftie interpretation would see the 1919 British effort as a reaction to the Russian and German revolutions in an attempt (a successful one) to keep the populace on side and in support of the monarchy. In my view this is a sensible strategy.

And since it's the NAAFI, bollocks, I'll try to remember all of them.

You also forget folk memory. My grandfather was born in 1899, the last veterans of Waterloo and Trafalgar died in that decade. The last veteran of the Crimea died in 1940 at the time of the Battle of Britain.

In the US, the last living link with their civil war died about 10 years ago (a very old and sufficiently randy old goat married a young woman in the '20s or '30s).

It's your round, by the way.
  14. The Great War did set a precedence of death on a global scale in comparison to those conflicts and wars that had gone before.

Armistice day has also marked, until recent years, an event that was in living memory as well.
  15. Fally, you should be ashamed of yourself for putting those comments on here!! You should know better than to put a serious debate in the NAAFI. As punishment for your deviant thread, use a Bungee as your static line next time you fall from an aircraft.....Standards must be maintained - Soapyfuckingtitwank!!!