We Were Torturing People For No Reason -- A Soldiers Tale

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by msr, Apr 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Tony Lagouranis is a 37-year-old bouncer at a bar in Chicago's Humboldt Park. He is also a former torturer. That was how he was described in an email promoting a panel discussion, "24: Torture Televised," hosted by the NYU School of Law's Center on Law and Security in New York on March 21. And he doesn't shy away from the description.

2. Why are we torturing them Sarge... Because they're there lad, because they're there!

With appologies to 'Zulu'... I'll get my coat...
  3. And there we have it, the difference between Yank intelligence gathering and British. We use sleep depravation etc, they torture prisoners
  4. I like to think that American torturing will stop, now that Chemical Donald has hung up his rusty electrodes.
  5. Wouldn't have anything to do with anupcoming book release would it? Seems funny that he has first hand knowledge of torture but didn't participate....I smell something and it aint the truth.
  6. One of the comments from readers of the article...
    ''Dubya aint findin' terrorists, he is creating new ones !!''
  7. Actually, he 'fesses up to torture:

One wonders what being from New York and being college educated have to do with moral dillemas and ethical decisions...

I don't know whether he's telling the truth or not but, in the event that this is not true, this wouldn't be the first time that someone made false claims along these lines.
  8. nnnnnnnnn
  9. (and I'm sorry, I personally don't see how the use of the dogs scaring the urine out of someone qualifies as "torture")

Nathan, I don't know if it was torture. I DO know that it was culturally insensitive.

I DO know that I was in Iraq for the release of the Abu Ghraib pictures and the repercussions that abounded.

I DO know that my interpreters (some of the most Pro CF people I met in my time there) were disgusted by the use of dogs with muslim prisoners.

Now if it got the interpreters exercised, can we pause to imagine what it did to a dribbling radical islamist?

Just a thought.

10. Nathan

I advert You to, amongst others. water torture in Guantanamo, Rendition to CIA black camps in various countries and not least to the US administration trying desperately to change the definition of torture.
  11. Alternet? The photo negative of FauxNews. Pity the article doesn't state that there were USMC investigations of Lagouranis' charges that proved a majority of them unsubstantiated.
  12. 3333333
  13. 333333333
  14. How exactly do we know any difference when its all conducted behind closed doors.

The only difference being that many Americans love to brag and in doing so embelish the truth so much of what they say should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I doun't believe the Brits fanny about when it comes to extracting information and nor should we
  15. Indeed