We pay Iran £400 million

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Command_doh, Apr 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Oh good. I'm sure it won't be used for the proliferation of nuclear arms, be given to the Iraqi Shiaa 'insurgents', or be used for IED's to blow our lot to pieces. How about we say 'Fcuk you, you terrorist supporting nation'? No, that would be far too simple.

On the other hand, I suppose this is money Bruin couldn't be giving away to another country in aid, or some other collosal waste. Seeing as how flush we are as a nation....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/7632836/Britain-to-pay-back-Iran-400-million.html

EDIT

I don't care if they haven't asked for it and its just going to go into 'frozen assets'. Its just b0llocks that this kind of thing happens and we can't just grow a spine and say 'sorry, no'.

2. Essentially we're just offing another £400million to the EU with a caveat that "we're repaying a long-standing debt to Iran..."

BALLS.

3. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Lets not forget the untold interest this large sum will be generating over the years. Maybe they can use it for the vast MEP expenses gravy train?

4. They got the numbers/names well wrong there, unless the are only counting the Shir 2s( Chally 1 ) as I remember them buying about 800, Cheiftains/Shir !s

5. Out of interest, did the Chieftains perform well in the Iran/Iraq war if they were used? It would be interesting to know how they fared against the Iraqi's Soviet MBTs.

6. So we will, in fact, not be paying Iran £400 million?

7. It's not often one can say this - but we should take a leaf out of Iceland's book and hold a referendum!

8. Can we deduct the cost of those RN and RM boats the Iranians hijacked and won't give back and I think there is also the issue of an Ipod plus some hurt feelings to be addressed?
    If we use the compensation system used in the Bloody Sunday enquiry for example I think the UK owes the Iranians the steam off my piss!

9. 0 to pointless-RN-pisstaking in 7 posts after the mention 'Iranian' - not bad.