We owe the EU another GBP34 billion

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Wonderful.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ces-34bn-bill-for-blackhole-in-EU-budget.html
Auditors have identified a black hole in European Union budgets that could lead to extra demands for cash from the British taxpayer of up to £34 billion over the next six years.

David Cameron will be legally obliged to make up a share of a shortfall of £259 billion by 2020 with liabilities for the Treasury estimated at £33.7bn, calculated at the usual rate of Britain’s EU contributions.

It never fcuking stops.

Wordsmith

Cynical

LE
Book Reviewer
But the answer remains the same:
Auf wiedersehn, ciao, au revoir... etc.

Time we told them to roll it and ram it where the sun never shines. Still cannot see exactly what the UK gains from being a member of this useless dis-organisation, apart from providing washed up politicos another go at troughing it up at taxpayers expense.

But the EU is boss and the very model of financial certitude!

Another nail in the coffin. If I were of a tin foil hat bent I'd be questioning whether or not there was a movement inside the EU that wants rid of Britain in the certain knowledge that we'll come crawling back on their terms once their self proclaimed doomsday scenarios come to pass.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
But the answer remains the same:
Auf wiedersehn, ciao, au revoir... etc.
So that's what the advert using Sound of Music is about that I keep tuning out.

But aren't we continually told by the pro_EU lot on here that its records had been audited for the years, and the whole financial mismanagement stick people keep using against the EU is a lie...

"The seven institutions of the European Union (EU) are not concentrated in a single capital city; instead they are spread across four cities: Brussels, Frankfurt, Luxembourg and Strasbourg."

To keep some of the member states sweet, they also move the whole shebang twice a year from the main HQ in Brussels to Strasbourg and back, thus creating duplication in transport costs, translation services, security, accommodation & messing expenses. All at taxpayers expense, and they wonder why there is a "black hole"? I'm no financial expert, but I could implement significant savings without breaking sweat.
Let's get out and leave the corrupt, bloated bunch of self loaders to their own devices.

Does that help or hinder the EU getting more of our money?

All depends on the 2015 election I presume.

If we see some sort of anti-EU coalition government that gives an in out referendum then if we vote to leave they won't be getting a large chunk of that money if it is to be paid over 6 years......

Did a double take on the first word of the article 'Auditors' ?

There's always been a 'black hole', it's proper name is 'The EU Commision', get rid of that bunch of lazy, shysters and, we could save millions.

And, to all those who keep saying that, we will be 'poorer' if we come out of the EU, I say "You have got to be F*****g Joking mate" ! :rolleyes:

Expect CMD to denounce it as totally unacceptable and dispatch George Osbourne to pay it but return clutching an 'I love the EU' biro and wearing a 'I just spunked yet more British billions down the EU drain and all i got was this lousy t shirt' top claiming that securing both these items in exchange for the 34 billion represented a great victory for Britain.

Vote UKIP.

It's worrying that this plays neatly into the hands of the more xenophobic members of UK society.

I know Nissan, for one, views this with trepidation going by the Director's faces recently. The last thing the North-East needs is 5000 extra bods on the dole.

sguyw

LE
It's worrying that this plays neatly into the hands of the more xenophobic members of UK society.

I know Nissan, for one, views this with trepidation going by the Director's faces recently. The last thing the North-East needs is 5000 extra bods on the dole.
Why is everyone who disagrees with the EU a Xenophobe

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer

The alternative is that the bureaucracy being imposed by the EU is costing far more jobs - if the EU had stayed as a free trade area/common market maybe the Eurozone would not be such a mess and we would have a vigorously growing market to import into - not a zombie economy.

Wordsmith

I like Xenophobe as a word. I suppose it's better than being called a racist. :smile:

To be fair, most of my work colleagues see the EU as an example of "bloody foreign" incompetence without a trace of irony in their statement. ...

The alternative is that the bureaucracy being imposed by the EU is costing far more jobs - if the EU had stayed as a free trade area/common market maybe the Eurozone would not be such a mess and we would have a vigorously growing market to import into - not a zombie economy.

Wordsmith

I was trying to explain the current view of a large manufacturer in the context of our wobblyness (?) towards the EU. Any potential increase in TdC threatens profitability therefore viability.

Latest Threads