We now have to pay to get police to investigate car theft

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by flamingo, May 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=edponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED10%20May%202007%2008%3A09%3A49%3A133

[/quote] 10 May 2007 08:09

Victims of car crime are being told their cases will not be investigated - unless they pay more than £100 for the privilege.

Police say they will not conduct fingerprint or DNA tests to discover who might have stolen a car or motorbike unless a fee is first paid to a private company - in Norfolk it is Recovery Management Services - which is responsible for recovering and storing stolen vehicles.

Owners will be given a straight choice when their vehicle is found - if they want the case taken further, they will have to pay; otherwise it will be left for them to sort themselves.

The new charges, which start at £105, have been introduced by the Home Office but have immediately been attacked as an extra layer of tax, a penalty on those already traumatised by falling victim to crime and also a first step towards the privatisation of policing.

The issue emerged after a Norwich motorist was charged £150 to recover a motorbike stolen from his home on Saturday morning. The bike was found an hour later less than a mile from his home.

Norwich North MP Ian Gibson said: “If I had my car stolen through no fault of my own and was then asked to pay for it to be investigated, I would be pretty angry.

“The police are always complaining that they are hard up, but this suggests they are now going down the road of privatisation. What's next? Will we have to pay for officers to attend a house burglary?

“Taxpayers already pay twice for policing, through central taxation and council tax. It's ludicrous to charge them a third time for the police to do their job.”

While in theory the fees are optional, only those who pay up can ensure their vehicles are checked for clues. Victims are told the fees - implemented by forces across the country including Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire - are to cover storage.

However, a Home Office-approved letter states that if the fee is not paid: “[The police force will accept] no further responsibility and will be unable to take further action to identify the person who took it.”

On top of the “storage” fee, victims in Norfolk must pay £15 for every night a vehicle is held by police. Many motorists cannot reclaim this through their insurance policies.

Stephen Bett, chairman of Norfolk Police Authority, said: “If this has been foisted upon us by the Home Office, there is very little we can do - but I can understand why people are peeved by it. The fact is the Home Office is constantly trying to find methods to raise funds and this is just the latest attempt.”

Glenn Burrows had his Wu Yang 125 motorbike, worth £1,100, stolen from outside his home in St Leonard's Road, Norwich, at about 4.30pm on Saturday. He was initially delighted when officers recovered it at Heathgate, about half a mile away.

He said: “At first I was impressed at how efficient the police had been but then I was told about this charge. Because of the bank holiday I wasn't able to recover it until Tuesday, by which time I owed £150.

“I feel like I'm paying the police to do their job and I thought I was already doing that through my taxes.”

A Norfolk police spokesman said no figures were available for the number of people who have paid recovery fees or the total amount the force has received since their introduction. But latest crime figures show there were 1,577 car thefts last year - the equivalent of 131 each month.

The spokesman said: “Norfolk police operates with Recovery Management Services Limited which makes recoveries on behalf of the police for the whole of Norfolk and their fees are statutory charges set by the government.

“Part of our policy involves recovery of stolen vehicles in order to ensure that they are not re-stolen and recovering abandoned vehicles which maybe subject to investigations.

“Although each case is assessed individually, before recovery is made using RMS Limited, officers make every effort to contact the rightful vehicle owner at the first opportunity to allow them to recover their vehicle promptly themselves.” [/quote]

How crazy is this?
  2. this is probably a radical idea, but why not make the criminals pay the cost of their crime?
  3. Well the police don't know who the thief is, but the DVLA can tell them who owns the car without having to leave their desk and go out into the nasty weather.

Which is the easier target to raise money from? :pissedoff:

(edited for clarity :oops: )
  4. Cad, Cad, Cad. tch tch silly silly idea! Criminals? Paying? We owe them!haven't you grasped what the last ten years have been about? It's Labours solution - make the criminals rich - hey presto no more crime!
  5. Don't think for a second that this money will go to the police, and like the fella from the Police Authority (not a copper) said it had been lumped on them by the home office.

I can't speak for other forces but mine usually calls, or goes to the address of,the victim, if it's been reported in the 1st place or they have a number listed for the registered keeper, and tells them where the car is. then they can either

1) come and get it
    2) authorise the police to arrange for a company to pick it up. this usually incurs a charge but is normally paid for by the Insurance.

Police forces, particularly small forces, don't own recovery vehicles (even for their own use) or vehicle pounds due to cost.

With regards to having them forensicaly examined. if option 2 is chosen it will be done at the recovery agents and is NOT subject to them paying a charge.

Or in the case of option 1 the SOCO will come out to them or they can take it to the local nick.

Personally i think if what the report says is true (and not slightly sensationalised) it's bloody wrong. Norwich police should tell the Home office to shove it up their hoop.
  6. You might be doing what's morally right, (even if going against the Home Office), but how long before it's changed? Anyway, from personal experience, it's about what I expect from Norfolk Constabulary.
  7. If the police refuse to investigate further if you do not pay to put the car into storage report them for neglect of duty ,its their duty to FULLY investigate any crime reported.Sounds like a paper pushers idea of cost saving,cnuts. :x
  8. Haaarrrruuummmppphhhhh! :clap:

It's no wonder the public are losing what little faith they have left. thanks again Home Orafice. :pissedoff:
  9. Ok, little confused here.

list of what car owners have to pay

Tax on gas

Tax on road

Tax on insurance

Tax on MOT

Tax and NI in pay

Council Tax

And now they are making people pay a "tax" to get their cars back when it is stolen, Can see big wiggs thinking "umm think we should employ people to nick cars just to get money from the people.. wicked idea, how much of that money do you think goes directly into their back pockets?

10. With a baseball bat, a pair of pliars and a damp cellar? Mmmmm. I think I'll leave my car in and around the Norwich area......... ;)

Could get lucky. :)

Will the Home Office be suprised when the general public start taking the law into their own hands?

This goes hand in hand with the announcement yesterday that non violent criminals will not get a custodial sentance due to over crowded prisons.

Cause and prevention.

Shower of shit.
  11. Sorry to be contrary, but this sounds quite sensible.

Police resources are both finite and scarce, and there needs to be an element of prioritisation. Recouping a small amount of the considerable cost of investigating an offence where the only real victim is the general public (through higher insurance), will free up highly-trained officers to concentrate on more serious offences - such as children who chalk hopscotch squares on the pavement, those who wear T-shirts with rude words on them, question the sexual orientation of police horses or display marital aids in motor vehicles.

(for all those coppers on here sorry, lads - couldn't resist it)
  12. Anyone fancy starting up vigilantes R us?

When Mrs Phantoms Motorbike was stolen in Southampton it was recovered before she was even aware that it was gone. The police were very helpful, but we did get a bill for recovery and storage. Most annoying was to get it back from the storage yard we had to drive further than where it recovered from; The storage fee covered several days when we couldn't have it back as it was taken away for fingerprints to be lifted from it. I'm now wondering if we actually paid for the storage and recovery of for the fingerprinting..
  13. Hmmmmm let me see.....

Chance of getting good enough prints to convict: Slim

Chance of tracing the chav cnut car thief even if identified: Slimmer

Chance of making a conviction against said chav cnut stick: Laughable

Having an excuse to blame the VICTIM for the piss-poor clearup rate: PRICELESS!
  14. I NEARLY bit! :D
  15. This doesn't seen that new to me. Had a car stolen in about '98 in Plymouth.

Was living in a really high-class area just off Union Street at the time, and was woken about 3 in the morning by someone revving the shite out of a car in the carpark behind my flat. Looked out, and there was my car heading off into the night. Immediately phoned the police, told them what was happening, what direction it was going and how it was being driven. They thanked me for reporting it and said they'd get back to me.

Bear in mind that, at that time on a Saturday morning, Union Street had a lot of Police cover (and, I found out later, it had been a quiet night that week so they were sitting around in their cars) so I waited patiently to be told the scrotes had been caught.

What I actualy got was a call back at about 6:30 am to say that some milkman had reported a burning car in a playing field in Estover and they'd identified it as mine. I was slightly gutted. They asked if I could arrange recovery and I said I should be able to sort something by midday (knew a scrapyard owner who woould have picked it up for me when he had a spare moment). They then tod me that it would have to be sooner than that - within the next hour in fact - because it was a safety hazard and that if I couldn't manage it they'd arrange recovery themselves.

I told them to go ahead, then got another call later to say that it had been recovered and that I was to go to their (contracted) yard to pay the £130 recovery fee.

SM goes ballistic. Explains to them that I was the victim here, that they had failed to respond when they could probably have prevented it, and that I had offered to recover it, but expecting me to do something within 60 minutes at that time on a Saturday was taking the piss.

They then warn that, if I don't turn up and pay, they were in their rights to take me to court for the fee, and would then add court costs and the cost of disposal to my bill.

Like I say, nothing that new in this - except they didn't even offer to "investigate" in my case :twisted: