We lose another Arrse Old n Bold Seaweed

Seaweed and I jousted often and vigorously, mainly on nautical vs crab topics. Nonetheless, his posts were informative, well researched, presented good arguments and on occasion made me giggle.

Fair winds and following seas, shippers...........

A very fitting and respectful post, with probably the most apt of musical tributes. Spot on.

He was always a respectful, good humoured contributor & very knowledgeable on all things nautical.

A very sad loss. Rest in Peace.

Club Swinger

War Hero
A very fitting and respectful post, with probably the most apt of musical tributes. Spot on.

He was always a respectful, good humoured contributor & very knowledgeable on all things nautical.

A very sad loss. Rest in Peace.
God I never new the man, he was way before my time, but that video from 2 minutes on grabbed me by the balls.

Respect to the Old and Bold, one of whom we may one day become. Let's hope someone remembers us in the same way this Gentleman is so fondly remembered.

God Bless Sir, and Sail On with a fair wind and calm seas.

It has been a bad week,RIP,Sir.

Club Swinger

War Hero
As we say, gone 'Beyond The Gym' R.I.P.

Don't let them short your rum ration.

Rest in Peace, Sir.

God I never new the man, he was way before my time, but that video from 2 minutes on grabbed me by the balls.

Respect to the Old and Bold, one of whom we may one day become. Let's hope someone remembers us in the same way this Gentleman is so fondly remembered.

God Bless Sir, and Sail On with a fair wind and calm seas.
For me, he was one of those chaps that proved the apocryphal story about Naval Officers not being "gentlemen" to be untrue, or certaibly in his case.

He was never so crass as to assimilate Rank with intelligence, unlike some. He also encouraged me to write my recollections from the Falklands Campaign, something I'd never even considered, but glad he instigated it. I'll miss him.

If anyone has the time to spare, would it be possible to collate the books that he commented on here over the years. I appreciate it may take some time.

RIP Sir

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
He assisted me with a review I needed help with, for which I am grateful. Rest at ease Seaweed. Thank you for everything.
ETA. Rab C you beat me to it. Having a dram for you now Seaweed. Here's tae us. Fa's like us? Gie few, an' wur all deid.

Last edited:

Seadog

ADC
I’m sorry to hear that Seaweed has gone to the big stand easy. I’d just proposed him as a mod candidate on Rum Ration and one of the COs wrote that Seaweed had handed in his book reviewer credentials. I didn’t connect the dots.

Seaweed and I never broke cover but his contributions on ARRSE and RR had the mark of an experienced, older, officer, gentleman and wit. I always behaved myself in his presence.

I haven’t been emotional about the passing of an Internet chum until now.

Sad news indeed. I liked reading his posts as they were always informative and made enjoyable reading. This month is turning out to be a black month for respected members. Thank you all for your contributions to what for me is the best forum on the internet.

A truly awful disease striking down those who were just doing their job.

RIP and condolences to your family, thanks for your service.

Another one. RIP Shippers!

Not so long ago he responded after I sent a link to an article about the Suez campaign. I think his ship was involved in the action.

He was nothing if not fiercely loyal to the RN.
His ship, HMS Newfoundland, certainly was in action at Suez; C & P from Seaweed's posts at RR circa Aug 2007:

<<... Newfoundland (my ship 1956-7)...>>

<<...A bit of history: At approx 0100 local on 1st November 1956 HM Ships Newfoundland and Diana sank the Egyptian frigate Domiat (ex HMS Nith) which was interfering with neutral shipping in the Red Sea. This was probably the very last warship-to-warship conventional gun action in the history of the sea and also the last time the BL gun was fired in anger. The action made big headlines (just caught the front pages!) of all the London papers but was soon eclipsed by goings-on further north.

I have a snap of Egyptian officer prisoners taking the air on Newfoundland's quarterdeck while Newfy was RASing from Wave Sovereign...>>

By sharing his experiences & opinions @seaweed provided us with a valuable link to his life in the RN of the 1950's & '60's when many WW2 veterans & vessels were still active. Great pity he left us before HMS P of W arrives tomorrow but at least he did witness the debut entrance of HMS QE here at Portsmouth last year. pusser to the core (with emphasis on the lower case 'p') and a knowledgeable Poster/Reviewer/ authority on naval history.

RIP - I'm sure he'll be missed both here & at RR: FWIW see his RR postings here:

https://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/search/97468/

If anyone has the time to spare, would it be possible to collate the books that he commented on here over the years. I appreciate it may take some time.

RIP Sir
@tiger stacker.

A pleasure and took no time at all - the 35 books that Seaweed has reviewed at Rum Ration are listed here
Resources by Seaweed

1573868218388.png

There may be some duplication but at ARRSE there is a similar listing of his 114 books reviewed here:

Tyk

LE
That's a great shame, I'd seen some of his posts which were top quality. May the sun be always over the yardarm and his rum rations be full tot.

Another ARRSER gone who was part of the furniture here, as others have said his posts were always informative and often funny. RIP Seaweed.
He only posted this a few weeks back
Screenshot_20191116-071527_Chrome.jpg

Latest Threads