We have breached Lake Vostok, confirms Russian team

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by Dashing_Chap, Feb 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We have breached Lake Vostok, confirms Russian team - life - 08 February 2012 - New Scientist

A radar satellite image shows smooth ice over the surface of Lake Vostok, over 3.5 kilometres down (Image: Canadian Space Agency/Radasat/NASA/Science Photo Library)

I'm betting that there'll be some weird and wonderful creatures new to science, thus enhancing the Theory of Evolution and confirming that life can thrive in all sorts of hazardous places. Deep sea vents being a good example.

2. What are they doing?!?! Have they not watched "The Thing"?!?! They're all gonna die!!
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Not to mention Phillipstown in New Tredegar. Sone weird life forms up there.

But on a serious note, it'll be interesting to see what comes of it.
  4. Personally, I'd be very interested to see how the organisms down there (if there are any) are generating energy, presumably no photosynthesis, and no thermal heat from the Earth either. There are probably lots of different applications for them I would have thought

5. Ya my old school biology textbooks suggesting all living things need light and oxygen to live are way out of date. I should think there'll be bacteria in abundance at least. If the lake has been isolated for millions of years there's ample opportunity for weird things to evolve. You get blind crabs and shrimp at deep sea vents and mad stuff like angler fish at very deep ocean levels. Apparently the lake is really deep too so God knows what's down there.

Wouldn't fancy going down there myself mind you.

What the f**k is that?
  6. Primitive life forms from deep down do not look very friendly DC...I wonder why? Are they muslims?

It is not clear that they evolved to live at such depths or the other way...Perhaps we came from such a dark and hostile environment. Human behavior sure indicates this...

Let's hope that the Russians find something really really interesting...like petrol and everything. I love science.
  7. The Thing should be the least of their worries.

Ever read H. P. Lovecraft?

"It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be let alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests."
    • Like Like x 1

8. New Tredegar..... I was born just across the river, front room, number 3.
  9. does The Thing know that we've scrapped our harriers?
  10. Would be interesting if by doing this they release some new bacteria that could wipe out humans, wonder how they would square that one away.
  11. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

You really think it'll make any difference to the idiots who promote Intelligent Design*?

[*Other theories are available. Always check with your pharmacist.]
  12. My ex wife
  13. Written shortly after Lovecraft's visit to Retford and Doncaster.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Will Putin be diving there?
  15. The Thing can replicate all known forms of life.

It'll be fucked when it tries to assimilate Croydon.