We have a new boss (or will do soon).

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Queensman, Mar 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. Not my boss..now safely past any chance of a recall to the colours, unless he decides to reform the home guard. They don't like it up 'em you know.

• Like Like x 1
  2. The story was carried by the Times on Saturday giving a bit more detail. They say that the other main contender for the post was the current CGS who is now expected to remain as CGS for another year. They also say that the PM wanted Sir D Richards to extend his tour as CDS but he declined. They suggest that Sir N Houghton is a "consummate insider" with balanced and grounded views but add that some question his lack of operational experience. They make the comparison with Sir D Richards experience in East Timor, Sierra Leone and Afghanistan. A bit harsh really. Sir D Richards had an unusually full operational CV for a 4-star but I thought Sir N Houghton did a tour in Iraq as a 2-star and he was CJO which should have given him a good grasp of operational imperatives.

3. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Personally I'm devastated that Sir Peter didn't get it as we won't be able to use this photo again ...... oops

CGS_Handover.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  4. Which one's you then?

5. The one in the middle.

6. He was also DMO.

Nick Houghton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

General Sir Nick Houghton to be new chief of defence staff | UK news | The Guardian

• Like Like x 1
  7. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Oh good another Joint (Spelt LAND pronounced Army) job to Perce.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Why did 1SL, CGS, and CAS get overlooked?

9. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Best man for the job got it I assume. Anyone know who was the last VCDS to step up a level as I can't recall it happening before?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 1
  10. Now, now Guns, no need to be bitter - would you have rather had the RAF get the post again? ;-)

11. Remember him from NI, dragged everyone down to Ballykinnler for a leadership forum and stood there reading extracts from his own Subbie's diary to inspire us. Self-centred, egotistical and opinionated **** IMHO - I'm sure he spoke equally highly about me!

12. In recent years it has been a last posting but if you go back to the early 1990s some incumbents went on to head their service (Ben Bathurst went on to be 1 SL) and I think Dick Vincent made the jump from VCDS to CDS. Of course if you go back beyond 1982 CDS was selected on the buggins turn principle.